PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Wick

loglickychops
1st Jul 2002, 20:41
I going to fly to the North of Scotland from the South of England at 120kts. Seems like a long way, but I'm keen and confident. However, any advice or tips would be most appreciated.

I'm not too keen on using my IMC, but the METARS up north are telling me I might have to. What are the airfields to overfly/stop at/plan wx diversions to on the way? (I'm assuming the east coast route is preferable.)

And can I get there and back in a day?

alwillfly
2nd Jul 2002, 08:55
I've flown from Birmingham to Orkney twice (Robin and 172).

Recommend Easterly route. Watch out for the gap between Manchester and Leeds controlled airspace, its not very big!
If its not too busy at MCR they may let you through the zone.

Large Danger area SW of Newcastle, dont remember the name of it.

Route up to SAB VOR over the water and east of Leuchars, this can be quite active

Both times I stopped in Aberdeen for fuel.

Coasted out at Banff (northbound). Coasted in at Wick (southbound)

Doable in a day quite hard work.

But definitely go for it
First time was 1993 IMC, second time last summer (IMC now lapsed)

No other specific advice to offer

Croqueteer
2nd Jul 2002, 18:19
Suggest Insch instead of Aberdeen. Fuel available, but definately PPR.

Avoiding Action
2nd Jul 2002, 18:38
Well, don't make Wick the farthest point North you go is what I mean, before anyone from FarNorth Aviation at Wick comes on to complain.

Can't help you with the route south of Edinburgh, but:

If the wx is reasonable, go direct over the mountains from Perth to Inverness - the view is spectacular and Inverness is a pretty friendly airport and I would bet serious money it's cheaper than Aberdeen (fuel and landing fees). Again, spectacular scenery up the coast from Inverness to Wick. Wick town is OK and I'd reccommend a visit, but push north to Kirkwall - it's only about 20 minutes further and more geared up for tourists (slightly more history / accommodation / pubs:) You might also then consider doing some island hopping - Westray to Papa Westray is the shortest scheduled air route in the world - even in a Cessna my time in the air was 90 seconds across the water - great one for the log book!

Enjoy!

mad_jock
2nd Jul 2002, 21:36
Wouldn't go to Aberdeen for fuel very expensive landing fees.

Another route north is refuel at perth ( shuts at 19:00) then route up the A9 to Inverness then make your decision about continuing (closes at 22:00 but check they don't close between 18:30 and 19:00)

Inverness is 11.50 landing and 2 overnight park.

I fly the A9 route about once a fortnight and you can nearly always get through VFR but it can be bouncy.

If you need accom and a lift give me a email and can put you in contact with a lady in Nairn who will do it for 20 quid a night.

Regards
MJ

Holdposition
2nd Jul 2002, 22:13
Well MJ, maybe you could advise us all who the lady in Nairn is who will do it for £20 a night!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist that one:)

Avoiding Action
3rd Jul 2002, 18:04
By the sound of it, neither could MJ!:D :D :D :D

2Donkeys
3rd Jul 2002, 18:26
Strongly agree with the advice offered so far on this thread.

Whilst it was jokingly mentioned in Avoiding Action's post, it is worth calling into Wick, if only to experience Far North Aviation's worldbeating service. Andrew Bruce is quite a personality.

Others well worth a visit include Oban (absolutely brilliant service), and Kirkwall (for the scenery)

Why not try the Black Bottle Challenge?

mad_jock
3rd Jul 2002, 19:36
:D lads

If your up in Wick it would be a shame not to go the whole hog and visit Orkney. Most of the Orkney islands have grass strips on them and the landing fee is usually payed in Beer. You won't find a bunch of more welcoming people in the UK. I have never heard of any noise complaints, but it is polite to waggle your wings if someone comes out into there backgarden to wave.

If the wx is good a low pas round the cliffs to the south of Stromness is a must, the Old man of Hoy is lit up a treat in the evening sun.

And also when I have to fly down to Turweston and back i usually route GAM straight up to NEW then SAB then to Perth the reason for this is because the above VOR's are all airways VOR's and put out a reasonable signal and if Leeming etc won't let you through, its not a problem to miss the whole lot out and route up the A1. Stay to the east of the Edinburgh ATZ and pick up Leuchars Radar who are usually pretty friendly.

The only other advice is file a flight plan it will save you freecalling all the way up and in my experence means you get all the clearances through controlled AS with minimal hassel.

MJ

loglickychops
3rd Jul 2002, 19:58
Thanks Folks. This is all good advice and I appreciate it. I guess I'll have to use the IMC at some point as there's almost aways a front lying somewhere across the UK that I'll have to cross, but other than that I hope for clear skies and good views all the way.

2Donkeys
4th Jul 2002, 07:03
mad_jock

Agree with all you say about the Orkneys. I just keep going back.

On the point about filing a flight plan, assuming you are referring to either a VFR plan, or an IFR non-airways plan, you are labouring under a misapprehension. Such plans are not notified to enroute ATC facilities, only to the destination, and any alternate filed. Any easier clearances that you are receiving enroute are purely co-incidental.

propjockey
4th Jul 2002, 17:55
You could aways lay over the Prestwick - they have a nice club - fuel and very friendly bunch.

see

http://www.prestwickflyingclub.co.uk

Regards

mad_jock
4th Jul 2002, 22:12
Well you learn something new. I would still file one it dosn't cost you anything and at least the big yellow helicopter knows where to look when your late.

Just shows you what nice peeps these ATC types are like then, phoning in front making the hand overs so pleasant.

And what a voice that lass has at Leeming ;)

"Contact Teeside on xxx.xx they have your details"
Arr do you have to, give me the wx one last time ;)

MJ

Avoiding Action
5th Jul 2002, 17:25
MJ,

Beware:eek:

In the control "circles" I work in, the sexiness of the voice is inversely proportional to the attractiveness of the individual. :D Don't get caught out!

AA

Leaving himself open to cheap banter as he departs.....