PDA

View Full Version : Severe Turbulence on Jet Blue Flight injures 24

AmericanFlyer
12th Aug 2016, 09:16
JetBlue Flight From Boston to Sacramento Hits Severe Turbulence - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/jetblue-flight-boston-sacramento-hits-severe-turbulence/story?id=41323011)

Hotel Tango
12th Aug 2016, 10:26
Whilst I have sympathy for those who were on their way to or from the loo, plus the F/As doing their job, I have no sympathy for those who were sitting in their seats with belts unfastened. No matter how often pax hear the PA warning to keep their belts fastened when seated due to the possibility of unexpected turbulence, many still don't. :ugh:

AmericanFlyer
12th Aug 2016, 12:21
This article contains some very interesting statistics about turbulence in the US, for example:

- In 29 years, there were 234 turbulence accidents
- This caused 298 serious injuries and 3 fatalities
- Of these 298, 184 involved flight attendants
- Two of the fatalities were passengers not wearing seat belts while seat belt sign was illuminated
- 58 passengers are injured each year while not wearing seat belts

Jet Blue Flight Grounded by Turbulence. How Dangerous Is It? (http://time.com/4449865/jetblue-turbulence-24-hospitalized/)

AmericanFlyer
12th Aug 2016, 15:31
'Like A Bad Dream': Turbulence On JetBlue Flight Injures 2 Dozen People : The Two-Way : NPR (http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/12/489744626/like-a-bad-dream-turbulence-on-jetblue-flight-injures-2-dozen-people)

Basil
12th Aug 2016, 18:39
You professional aviators/technical folks, do you think the event is one of "turbulence", or is it a "downdraft" in vicinity/within a CB?
Not being one of those on the flight deck, I'd say that my guess would be no better than yours as a professional meteorologist.

Basil
12th Aug 2016, 18:42
I know this is like my finger wagging re opening overhead lockers during an evac but, if your seatbelt is not fastened, you are not risking injury only to yourself but also to the small child upon whom you fall, probably at more than 1g.
Ex RAF and civ pilot, I ALWAYS have my seatbelt fastened - except, of course, when out of my seat.
Remember fasten the belt OVER blanket etc then CC won't have to wake you up to check :ok:

Once again apologies if I seem to be preaching.

airjet
12th Aug 2016, 18:45
In all my 45 years of flying airliners, I only once got into severe turb, on approach into Kolkata, I just don't understand why pilots (some of them) can't understand that caving to the famous "the company won't like it if I go 50/75 miles R-or- L" is in NO WAY worse that the **** you will be in if u fly into a CB and a crew member or pax dies.

Basil
12th Aug 2016, 18:49
"the company won't like it if I go 50/75 miles R-or- L"
I'm thankful that I never came under that sort of pressure; or with fuel and I'll name the companies:
BA
Gulf Air
Cathay
EAC

enola-gay
12th Aug 2016, 19:28
And still the health and well being advice from British Airways is to walk up and down and aisle for gentle exercise during the flight. So people take that advice, see the belt sign is off and walk the aisle.

Apart from a nuisance to fellow passengers they also get no sympathy on this forum when they are injured in turbulence.

Either you are supposed to be strapped in or you are not. Encouraging walkabout as official guidance helps no one at all.

barit1
12th Aug 2016, 21:29
Hotel Tango:I have no sympathy for those who were sitting in their seats with belts unfastened.

It's worse than that, of course. An unbelted pax in severe turbulence becomes an unguided missile.

Hotel Tango
12th Aug 2016, 21:51
It's worse than that, of course. An unbelted pax in severe turbulence becomes an unguided missile.

Well, yes, but so do all the bits and pieces on peoples' trays, some of which can be pretty lethal too, not to mention the service trolleys etc. Being strapped in is a no brainer but it may not necessarily prevent injury from "other" missiles flying around the cabin.

barit1
12th Aug 2016, 23:29
True, but one fewer of these 15-stone unguided missiles does improve the odds. There are risks I will take for good reason, but this is usually unnecessary risk. Akin to texting on the expressway.

CityofFlight
12th Aug 2016, 23:48
It truly puts my britches in a twist when so often here, many assume that injuries to pax = not paying attention to seat belt sign. Not saying there aren't offenders, but allow your brains to entertain that a few pax might be in the bathroom or waiting to enter. And quite possibly, the seat belt sign had not been turned on in time. Overhead bins come open and heavy bags land on unsuspecting pax.

I always buckle up, except when standing to use the bathroom, access to overhead bin or the seat belt sign is off.

Judge not and ye shall not be judged! ;)~

jurassicjockey
13th Aug 2016, 01:11
The point that you're missing, is that regardless of the status of the seat belt sign, if you're seated in your seat, then the belt should be on. If the seat belt sign is on, then you shouldn't be in the "loo"

megan
13th Aug 2016, 07:13
Overhead bins come open and heavy bags land on unsuspecting paxCarry on is heavy????? I know, I know, but in the bin above me it ain't.

Hotel Tango
13th Aug 2016, 09:00
City of Flight: I believe we all on this thread have taken into account those on their way to or from the washrooms and of course the cabin crew going about their business. However, with 22 passenger injuries I would doubt that they were all in transit from/to the washroom (on an A320). The criticism is addressed to those who unbuckle as soon as the seat belt sign goes off until it comes back on again.

Peter H
13th Aug 2016, 09:30
And still the health and well being advice from British Airways is to walk up and down and aisle for gentle exercise during the flight. So people take that advice, see the belt sign is off and walk the aisle.

Apart from a nuisance to fellow passengers they also get no sympathy on this forum when they are injured in turbulence.

Either you are supposed to be strapped in or you are not. Encouraging walkabout as official guidance helps no one at all.

Prevent DVT when you travel - Live Well - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/travelhealth/Pages/PreventingDVT.aspx)
Tips to reduce your risk of DVT during a long-distance flight, train or car journey:

wear loose, comfortable clothes
consider flight socks
do anti-DVT exercises
walk around whenever you can

CRayner
13th Aug 2016, 09:37
Am I the only one suspecting that the only way that lavatory pedestal could've been ripped out is with it being occupied by a rather large passenger at the time?

Mr Optimistic
13th Aug 2016, 10:03
Perhaps have a fixed notice on each seat back, and a box in the entertainment screen display that seat belts are to be worn when seated. Then change the overhead seat belt sign to say danger, return to seat immediately or something?

vapilot2004
13th Aug 2016, 12:13
- In 29 years, there were 234 turbulence accidents

This report could be misleading if the underlying methods are not taken into account. The NTSB classifies an "accident" as an event where death, serious injury or substantial damage to the aircraft occur. There are likely many times more turbulence incidents each year where cabin crew or passengers are injured, but not seriously.

Chris2303
13th Aug 2016, 13:06
Carry on is heavy????? I know, I know, but in the bin above me it ain't.
British Airways carry on baggage allowance:

The maximum size of the handbag/laptop bag is now 40cm x 30cm x 15cm (16in x 12in x 6in). The size of the additional cabin bag remains unchanged and should be no larger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in). Both bags can weigh up to 23kgs (51lb) each.

Una Due Tfc
13th Aug 2016, 13:16
I once had a heavy tell me he was in "severe to extreme turbulence". My response was "speed, flight level and heading at your discretion". Not much else I could have done really. He reported clear roughly 2 mins later, but from what he told me that was due fortune more than his own actions. Needless to say the area he flew through was sterilised for a few hours....

Loose rivets
13th Aug 2016, 13:44
The 60's and Viscounts to Spain at night with no radar. I'd like to use the phrase, 'good character-building stuff' but after one storm I had to give myself a severe talking-to, to carry on flying.

Time and again the horizon bar disappeared behind the scale. 1,000' feet below safety, and then slung out of the tops. No, not a chance of staying there.

It wasn't until we'd cleared the CBs on the way back that the biggest bang of all occurred. The skipper flicked his Zippo at the exact instant the 4" hole was cut through the wing. (around the fuel and out in line with the other hole)

Even on arrival at Barcelona, the ceiling was dripping in blood and sick. Our wonderful young lady Number One, said People had been unstrapping themselves to kneel and pray. Yet, we headed back with me having pestered to take a more easterly route. No difference, it had all drifted in that direction by the time we were there.

Battered while trying to get to passengers, she didn't fly for 6 weeks. The Steward said he was never going to fly again.

megan
14th Aug 2016, 15:37
Be a bit hard to fit 51 lb into a hand or laptop bag, unless smuggling gold bricks. Don't fancy a pile of 51 lb bags sitting above my skull. Need to be a weight lifter to get them up there in any case.

.Scott
16th Aug 2016, 12:28

Either you are supposed to be strapped in or you are not. Encouraging walkabout as official guidance helps no one at all.Peter H has already mentioned the problem with DVT on 4+ hour flights. I don't know what the risk trade-off is. I do know that at 200 pounds, a 4+ hour flight in coach painfully reveals that the seat cushions are designed for 140 pound pax.

If you Google "sitting too long", you'll discover that there are many potential problems - many related only to chronic sitting - but many others applicable to air travel. It's not just an issue of comfort.