PDA

View Full Version : ICAO to adopt Driver's License Medical

Three Lima Charlie
9th Aug 2016, 14:05
The International Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (IAOPA) is pressing the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) to adopt the so-called driver’s licence medical as the standard for all private pilots. At the recent World Assembly held in Chicago just before AirVenture 2016, the 63 delegates from 28 member nations passed the following resolution: “The IAOPA Secretary General (Craig Spence) shall work with ICAO towards formal acceptance of medical requirements for private pilots, that are based on national or state medical standards that are currently used for drivers of motor vehicles.”

RatherBeFlying
9th Aug 2016, 15:46
In Western Canada DriveAble, a private concern, is often used to assess medical fitness of seniors.

If you don't score well enough on their glorified computer game, you can lose your driver license without a road test:mad:

DriveAble's methodology is proprietary and has never been published in a peer reviewed journal.

I'm more than happy to see my AME. When the time comes, I'll cheerfully pay whatever extra for him to fill out the Driver form.

The Ancient Geek
9th Aug 2016, 16:36
That is not the point, many pilots lose their licence due to the strict conditions of the current medical when they are perfectly fit to drive and fly under less strict rules.
Research into accident records by the UK CAA shows that medical factors are not a significant cause of GA accidents and that a class 2 medical does not give any safety advantage over using the standards for a UK drivers licence.
Thre are no proposals to reduce the medical requirements for the carriage of paying passengers.

Mike Flynn
10th Aug 2016, 22:06
I guess given the statistics there is less likelihood of an experienced private pilot having a medical emergency over a motorist of the same age.

There is also the prospect of older pilots being more cautious than younger pilots.

Hence the saying.....

chevvron
11th Aug 2016, 08:50
I already have to pass an 'HGV 2' drivers medical to maintain my FISO License (get the doc to sign my NPPL declaration at the same time)

Sam Rutherford
11th Aug 2016, 13:12
Seems like a good plan to me, at PPL level.

pulse1
11th Aug 2016, 16:15
The CAA have already decided to do this for UK PPL holders. In the UK the driving licence requires self declaration only, every 3 years if you are over 70.

Whopity
11th Aug 2016, 22:29
As you can't do much with a UK PPL anymore its not really much use!

Mach Jump
11th Aug 2016, 22:48
Does this apply already to NPPL / UKPPL holders? Ie. You don't have to get your GP to countersign anymore?

MJ :ok:

flybymike
11th Aug 2016, 22:50
As you can't do much with a UK PPL anymore its not really much use!
Where do you get that from ?
U.K. PPL fully valid on EASA aircraft until April 2018 at least, and thereafter still fully valid on annexe 2 forever, with the possibility that EASA may even relax class 2 requirements before 2018 if the intended CAA pressure bears fruit.
Not to mention the new possibility of ICAO pressure!

flybymike
11th Aug 2016, 22:53
Does this apply already to NPPL / UKPPL holders? Ie. You don't have to get your GP to countersign anymore?
As from 25th August I think.

But you have to do an online CAA declaration first, details imminent but not yet released as far as I know.

Sam Rutherford
12th Aug 2016, 11:11
To clarify, we're talking about the UK NPPL - not an EASA PPL...

flybymike
13th Aug 2016, 10:51
It applies to both an NPPL, and also the original UK CAA full ICAO PPL (often originally referred to as the "poo brown")

OyYou
15th Aug 2016, 03:53
Form here but DO NOT USE YET.
publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=form&id=7493

Sorry can't do link thingy.

Regards

ETOPS
15th Aug 2016, 07:05
OyYou

There you go...

publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=form &id=7493

BEagle
16th Aug 2016, 09:12
https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/opinions/opinion-092016 gives details of the latest updates to Part-MED, applicable to all Part-FCL pilot licence holders.

Yet in 9 days' time, the UK CAA's 'Turkeys voting for abolition of Christmas' medical policies are going to reduce requirements for those who hold legacy UK PPLs or NPPLs....:\

xrayalpha
16th Aug 2016, 19:02
I have made a living as a microlight instructor, as have one or two other people, on an NPPL.

So I beg to differ that one can't do anything with a UK PPL!

(and Flight Training News says there are more microlight schools than light aircraft ones!)

BillieBob
17th Aug 2016, 11:07
As you can't do much with a UK PPL anymore its not really much use!It is if you can't get an EASA medical: LAPL privileges on EASA aircraft until 2018 (and possibly beyond), validation in non-EU states (which you can't do with an LAPL) as well as full PPL privileges on Annex II aircraft including the ability to add night, FI, IR, MEP (which again you can't do with an LAPL).

BEagle
17th Aug 2016, 13:05
BillieBob wrote:LAPL privileges on EASA aircraft until 2018 (and possibly beyond),

This 'and possibly beyond' idea might be what the folk in LAA-LAA land might hope will happen, but there's not a shred of evidence to substantiate it.

BillieBob
18th Aug 2016, 07:36
In the current political climate anything is possible, even if highly unlikely. Who would have foreseen the possibility of the 'Declared Training Organisation'?

Skylark58
22nd Aug 2016, 14:34
Having looked at the new online declaration form via the link, it appears that contrary to what I and the AME understood, instead of my declaration being valid until December when it expired, I can no longer fly my aircraft from this Thursday due to having a heart bypass 20 years ago. I was planning to get the LAPL medical in December, but that involves a consultant cardiologist and an exercise ecg. I fly an Annex II aircraft without passengers.
There is even different wording of the list of disqualifying conditions between the declaration form and the ANO 2016 section 163

Gutted