View Full Version : Avro Lancastrian Tales

Pages : 1 [2]

A30yoyo
4th Mar 2017, 20:54
The final 3/4 rear shot of Lancastrian G-AGMA is I think landing on 28R at London Airport (I.e. Heathrow) ....the chimney visible on left is at Technicolor's plant and based on the runway width the other 2 Lancastrian shots are there , too. The Dak might be at Northolt?

RichardRS
20th Mar 2017, 16:41
Thank you both for your help and information. I have now uploaded the film captures to our Website and used your detail with full credit to each of you. Your assistance is much appreciated.

AirportsEd
6th Apr 2017, 09:14
I see that over on the KEY Publishing historic aviation forum there is a thread running about "Churchill's Lancaster" which, apparently, was actually a York.
It made me wonder if any Lancastrians ever had a VVIP cabin fit.
Does anyone know of one?
Ed

Dave Hadfield
7th Apr 2017, 15:37
It was a lousy airliner. George Lothian, one of the first TCA pilots, mentions it in his book "Flight Deck" -- which is a very good one, BTW. He was a Ferry Command pilot, with many Atlantic crossings, and he didn't like the aeroplane. Too many engine shutdowns, and without the 2-stage blower it was not able to get above the icing in the winter ocean weather fronts. Each trip was a bit of a victory, especially coming back to Canada against the wind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bayliss_Lothian

Cartabianca
7th Mar 2018, 14:57
Just discovered this quite old thread, so I'd like to share what I have discovered about the Lancastrians used by Alitalia (Google translation available on site):

My website is called "AZ Fleet" - I'm not allowed (yet) to post URLs here, but you can easily find on search engines.

BTW; does anybody have any picture or scan of the Lancastrian's cockpit / main instrument panel to share?

Thanks!

AirportsEd
11th Mar 2018, 10:25
Hello Cartabianca
Many thanks for the note about the AZ Lancastrians.
Despite my interest in the type I had only seen one of those AZ Lancastrian photos before. Didn't know that AZ had an Anson either...

https://www.azfleet.info/modelli/avro-lancastrian?tipo_flotta=storica

Sorry, cant help with an instrument panel shot.
Ed

Davef68
27th Sep 2018, 13:42
Thread resurrection again! Does the Air Britain book cover the RAF operation of the Lancastrian? I'm especially interested in the use by the Empire Air Navigation School. Marion Derry's book doesn't cover the Lancastrian at all.

jindabyne
28th Sep 2018, 09:13
Does anybody know of the exact date that the Lancastrian entered RAF Service?