PDA

View Full Version : NPPL - may be of interest

Evo7
1st Jul 2002, 10:32
It seems that the NPPL medical requirements have appeared on the CAA medical website - take a look at http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=873

(edit: the medical information sheets (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=872) give information about specifics)

There's also this:

National Private Pilot's Licence - NPPL 25 June 2002

The NPPL will be available from 29th July 2002.

Personnel Licensing Department will not be responsible for dealing with any enquiries relating to the NPPL. The responsibility for dealing with all customer enquiries rests with:

National Pilot Licensing Group (NPLG) Ltd

The group is responsible for all customer enquiries regarding the NPPL for Single-Engine Piston Aeroplanes (SEP) and Self-Launching motor Gliders (SLMG), and receive technical support from PFA, AOPA and BGA.

SEP/SLMG NPPL enquiries should be directed to:-

NPLG Ltd
Terminal Building
Shoreham Airport
Shoreham-by-Sea
West Sussex
BN43 5FF

Telephone:- (c/o PFA) – 01273 461616*

Who has control?
1st Jul 2002, 10:47
Thanks Evo,

I have a CAA PPL & my medical expires at the end of August. I need to find out if I can revalidate it to an NPPL standard.

flying snapper
1st Jul 2002, 12:57
EVO,

Thanks for the information, I have been waiting a long time for this!!:D :D

Who has control?
1st Jul 2002, 13:34
OK, The chap I spoke to at the PFA said that to downgrade to an NPPL, ( which effectively limits you to VFR and UK airspace), all you do get an instructor to sign you off as current and get your GP to sign the medical forms. This means that you believe you meet the medical standards and the GP, on the basis of knowing your medical history, does not disagree.

The NPPL is in Parliament at the moment & will be ready on 28th July, there with be a NPPL Website "next week" and the relevant forms can be downloaded from it. The license takes a few days to process.

Upgrading from NPPL back to CAA requires you do keep current and pass the more stringent JAR Class 2 medical.

Please treat this as second-hand info culled from my scribbled notes and phone the number above for definitive answers.

Noggin
1st Jul 2002, 14:06
As a point of interest you cannot downgrade your existing licence to a NPPL. The NPPL is an entirely seperate licence, youwill have to apply for the issue of an NPPL based on your existing experience. The new licence is £131.

You can keep your existing licence and then renew it if you subsequently want to revert back.

distaff_beancounter
1st Jul 2002, 14:38
Noggin I know that your info is always spot on, so no doubt you are correct about the issue fee, for an NPPL to an existing PPL.

It just beggers belief that the CAA finds:-
.... so many ways
.... of taking so much
.... off so few

:mad:

fen boy
1st Jul 2002, 15:21
Distaff - can't blame the CAA for this one. The licence will be administered by, and the fee payable to, either the PFA or the BMAA as they will be processing the application. It is also these bodies that have decided the fee. The CAA will take a small percentage of this fee to actually make and issue the licence as by law they still have to do this task.

distaff_beancounter
1st Jul 2002, 15:40
fen boy ..... I can & do blame the CAA for this one!

Let us all remember, which Quango it was, that advised the Government:-

A) that the UK should be one of the first countries, to sign up for JAR?

B) that PPL's in the UK, should be included under JAR, when several other countries, have now decided to leave them out of JAR?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

stiknruda
1st Jul 2002, 17:43
I rang Penny (office manager) at the PFA today about another matter and then asked what she was doing re NPPL.

In short, the PFA website will host a link to the NPPL website. This site which is currently under construction will have all the information pertaining to the new NPPL. The PFA at this stage will not be sending out brochures/leaflets about the NPPL. For those that call PFA HQ, Peny and Carol are shortly to be given a comprehensive briefing and will then be able to field the majority of questions. They will have escalation paths for the more difficult questions.

In most cases they expect to refer folk to the NPPL website.

The PFA/BMAA will not make any money out of NPPL licencing. It is predicted that after all the set up costs have been covered that licencing will generate a small surplus. This surplus will be ploughed back into the NPPL.

Stik

BEagle
2nd Jul 2002, 07:00
One point noggin-of-the-SRG did not make is that, like the pre-JAR-FCL PPL, the NPPL is a lifetime licence. Hence it is going to be £131 once only - whereas the JAR-FCL PPL licence is for 5 years only..... I predict that there will be more than a few PPL folk who will be unpleasantly surprised as the 5th anniversary of the CAA's JAR-FCL PPL con trick approaches! I wrote to all who I could to point out this fundamental flaw in that fraudulent document produced by the then CAA purporting to be a Regulatory Impact Assessment..........

Who has control?
2nd Jul 2002, 07:21
Beagle, I'm pleased to hear that!

I can either pay £130ish to an AME now and again every two years, or £131 to the NPPL plus '£40' to my GP now and a subsequent '£40' every two years.

Either way, it will be expensive next month.