PDA

View Full Version : Lachlan Smart - Nomination for HCAP and LAA Award?

Mike Flynn
26th Jul 2016, 15:11
I am suggesting this young man deserves some serious awards from the Honourable Company of Air Pilots and the Light Aircraft Association.

18 year old Lachlan Smart is the youngest pilot to ever cross the Pacific and Atlantic and has done the latter the long way via the Azores.

Biggin Hill will play a starring role in a Guinness world record attempt later today when the teenage pilot touches down at the airport.

Lachlan Smart is attempting to become the youngest person in history to fly around the globe solo, in a single engine aircraft, in a trip titled Wings Around the World.

The 18-year-old began his historic flight earlier this month when he took off in Australia and he has already made his way across the Pacific, America and the Atlantic.

And just after 7pm tonight, the native of Sunshine Coast, Queensland, will land at London Biggin Hill Airport for the latest stop during his 24,000 nautical mile adventure.

Read more at The youngest ever pilot to go round the world about to land in Biggin Hill | Kent and Sussex Courier (http://www.courier.co.uk/biggin-hill-to-host-teenage-daredevil-attempting-to-break-a-guinness-world-record/story-29551905-detail/story.html#q2T48MBYRggHuKyR.99)

He is spending around 11 days in the UK while the S22 has a check.

With so much bad news around today this is uplifting.
(Appeal to mods.. can we keep this in Private Flying and not ANZ & Pacific where it will get lost?)

Mike Flynn
26th Jul 2016, 20:38
I have just spoken to customs at Biggin and Lachlan has landed having flown direct single pilot from the Azores today.

It appears to me no one is interested in this 18 year old record breaking guy because he is not making a song and dance about his exploits.

However the fact remains tonight he has become the youngest person to have ever flown solo from Australia to the UK.

He also now holds the record for youngest pilot to ever fly across the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.

You are a true inspirational pilot and aviator Lachlan:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jul 2016, 22:51
You have rather transparently only promoted his efforts (admirable as they are) as part of your campaign against TCT (reprehensible although she is).

Best of luck to him, but there are numerous other people out there, all the time, doing long trips. He's obviously talented, but also very well resourced from other people's efforts than his own.

I hope that he has a fantastic trip, and goes onto bigger and better things. I can't however get all that excited about it.

G

kghjfg
26th Jul 2016, 23:09
Sorry Jay, there is no way he's getting an award from HCAP (sic), he was solo.
Just not the sort of thing they give awards for I'm afraid.

Stanwell
27th Jul 2016, 02:04
I am full of admiration for that young fellow.
At his age, I was flat out trying not to bend a Traumahawk.
More power to your elbow, Lachlan. :ok:

Jonzarno
27th Jul 2016, 06:54
You have rather transparently only promoted his efforts (admirable as they are) as part of your campaign against TCT (reprehensible although she is).

Best of luck to him, but there are numerous other people out there, all the time, doing long trips. He's obviously talented, but also very well resourced from other people's efforts than his own.

I hope that he has a fantastic trip, and goes onto bigger and better things. I can't however get all that excited about it.

G

I really have to agree with this. I carry no torch for Ms Curtis-Taylor; but this trip, whilst long and potentially dangerous given that it involves flying a SEP for long distances over water, really isn't that difficult given the nature of the aircraft he is flying.

The flight that Ms Curtis-Taylor CLAIMS to have made (as opposed to what she appears ACTUALLY to have done) is, IMHO, a much more difficult aviation challenge.

B Fraser
27th Jul 2016, 07:09
Well done Lachlan ! No doubt he had a GPS (or possibly two as any sensible chap would have a spare as a precaution) but that does not seem to be a barrier for getting a navigation award at the very least.

The Russian balloonist and the crew of the solar powered aircraft also made some very notable circumnavigation flights.

All three should be candidates for crossing large amounts of blue on their maps in very credible circumstances. Everything was above board and nobody carried their bags to the luxury hotels while they searched for a hairdresser.

Mike Flynn
27th Jul 2016, 18:36
I started this thread to highlight the low key press coverage of a very young man who has broken records for long distance flying.

I agree there are plenty of wealthy pilots doing their Earthrounders trips but Lachlan is only 18 and not from a wealthy family. If it is so easy why has no other 18 year old ever done it.

His efforts appear to have been dismissed because he is not a famous personality or has a well oiled PR machine.

Had Richard Branson just flown a small two seater single engined aeroplane from Australia to the UK across the Pacific and Atlantic there would have been hundreds of media people and a few B list Royals awaiting him at Biggin.

The story would have been on all the news channels and fronts pages.

Lachlan had less of a welcome than most of the minor celebs that enter the UK every day in their chauffered jets.

Indeed talking to a few friends in the national media the consensus is that he is not from the UK so there is no story and there will not be a round of high profile receptions.

If you bother to read his blog his ancestor's came from the UK and did their duty in WW2.

He also illustrates how he got his dream moving alone.

However, being an Aussie,Lachlan will have to wait until he returns down under to get recognition for his amazing achievements.

I emailed all the key people at HCAP but none have got back to me.

Here is the dismissive Press Association story.
An Australian teenage pilot has touched down in Britain part-way through his bid to become the youngest person to fly around the world solo in a single-engine aircraft.

Lachlan Smart, 18, is now on an 11-day stopover in the UK after flying a Cirrus SR-22 plane into Biggin Hill in Kent from the Azores, in the Atlantic.

He will resume his challenge on August 6, when he will fly to Cannes in the south of France as part of his eight-week, 24,000-nautical mile record bid, titled Wings Around The World.

Mr Smart's UK stopover will enable his aircraft to be serviced, while he explores his family's aviation links to Britain. Both his great-grandfathers flew out of Biggin Hill during the Second World War.

He said: "The journey so far has been a roller coaster. There have been so many ups and downs. The weather is something that's been out of my control.

"There have been some great times, including flying over the Grand Canyon and the Mississippi River. I'm looking forward to seeing my aunts, uncles and cousins while I'm here, as well as doing some touristy things like seeing Buckingham Palace."

Mr Smart started his adventure on July 4 from the Sunshine Coast of Queensland where he was brought up, and he hopes to return there as a record-breaker at the end of August.

S-Works
28th Jul 2016, 19:02
A young man in a fully equipped plastic fantastic is not really a newsworthy event. As Ghengis says it's just another thinly disguised pop at the person starring in other discussion.

It actually just demeans what the ying guy has done to be honest.

hobbit1983
28th Jul 2016, 21:50
To nominate someone for an award in order to further a campaign against a particular person is wrong; which sure is how this is coming across, JS.

His achievement is laudable yes, and good on him. However, it's been done many times before. The only difference is his age.

Planemike
28th Jul 2016, 22:04
The only difference is his age.

A pretty important difference, I would say.......!! All credit to him.

hobbit1983
28th Jul 2016, 22:12
A pretty important difference, I would say.......!! All credit to him.

I'm not saying it's not creditable. What I'm saying is that his achievement shouldn't be hijacked to score points against she-who-shall-not-be-named.

Planemike
29th Jul 2016, 07:49
Any connection would be to either Alcock and Brown or Charles Lindberg who flew broadly similar routes, or maybe Sheila Scott who completed a round the world flight.

OpenCirrus619
29th Jul 2016, 08:40
Now someone who does deserve awards, in my opinion, is Colin Hales.

KR2 World Tour (http://www.kr2worldtour.com)

My favourite photo from the site:
http://kr2worldtour.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/web-photos-167-e1435465380259.jpg

Trans-Atlantic in that ... wow!!

OC619

deefer dog
29th Jul 2016, 08:53
Jay Sata,

Highlighting the issues surrounding Tracey Curtis Taylor's trip, her apparent deceits and what many believe to be wholly underserved awards made by HCAP, the LAA and others to her was commendable work. You gave it a good shot and generated publicity that was eventually picked up, and as a result you have undoubtedly left egg on many faces.

Many here agree entirely with your view that TCT has not been entirely honest in her attempts to convince the masses that she has achieved great feats of airmanship and navigation. The memorable photograph of her standing in front of the claim that she was "alone in an aircraft" for xxx miles during her Africa trip adequately demonstrates the outright lie she passed off.

Despite this however I really do agree with others here that by nominating someone else for an award, as deserved as it may be, in order to pursue your attack on TCT is most certainly NOT the best way to further your argument.

Jetblu
29th Jul 2016, 13:16
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Rolf Harris and the Jimmy Savile nonsense was years ago, but people are allowed to freely discuss if they want to.

Yes, if an award was between an 18 year old in a plastic fantastic, whom has been open and honest with his endeavours OR a 'connected' Walter Mitty whom has been rather economical with the facts, the award would have to go with the former IMHO.

That said, I think others are more deserving, like the recent Russian balloon pilot.

Sam Rutherford
5th Aug 2016, 12:41
Another vote for the Crazy Ivan!

Sir Niall Dementia
5th Aug 2016, 14:05
That KR2 and the area immediately around it remind me of a student's bedroom for some reason.......................................

SND

rmac2
8th Aug 2016, 19:41
I vote for the crazy Ivan !!!!!!

Mike Flynn
10th Aug 2016, 22:01
There is a lot of choice this year but to fly a balloon around the world and pass over the point of take off takes some doing.

Forgive my ignorance but one question puzzles me.

Does such a circumnaviation record have to equate to the girth of the world? eg around 25'000 miles?

The Ancient Geek
10th Aug 2016, 23:15
Not sure about aviation but the yotties must cross the equater.

fujii
11th Aug 2016, 01:08
Below is from The Pacific: General Aviation and Questions forum including typos.

CIRCUMNAVIGATION
While I agree that a true circumnavigation would include the crossing of all meridians and the equator, the rules applied by the Federation Aeronautique Internationale(F.A.I.) for validating aerial circumnavigations are:
"Fora powered aircraft to officially circumnavigate the world it must cross allmeridians in one direction, travel a distance of at least 36,787.559 km (thelength of the Tropic of Cancer), and complete the journey at the point ofdeparture. Each leg must commence at the exact point where the previousfinished off. There is no requirement that it cross the Equator or touchantipodal points.
TheF.A.I. o has a different (less stringent) set of rules for inflatable craft,such as balloons and blimps, which are at the mercy of winds and jet streams."
Good effort by the Russian and I see that the first Solar powered flight is about completed.
It seem that the age of adventure is not over yet.

Stanwell
11th Aug 2016, 01:26
Good stuff, anyway.
I understand why Mr Ivan chose the southern "Roaring Forties" to facilitate his passage, though.

Mike Flynn
14th Aug 2016, 21:02
Looking at the way the so called 'Honourable' Company of Air Pilots run their operation Lachlan Smart and his generation are best avoiding this old boys network.

Check out http://www.wingsaroundtheworld.com.au who is now nearly 75 % around the world flying a single engine Cirrus, genuinely solo and still only 18 years old.

The UK Honourable Company of Air Pilots never even bothered to welcome him to the UK despite his solo flights across the Pacific and Atlantic

pulse1
27th Aug 2016, 20:03
I heard Lachlan Smart on the BBC Radio 4 news headlines this morning after completing his solo round the world flight. Really surprised and pleased with the BBC for once.

Mike Flynn
27th Aug 2016, 20:25
Thank you for posting that Pulse.

Lachlan is a real hero in my books having just flown such a record breaking global flight in a single engined aircraft when most people of his age are just hoping to pass a driving test.

Sadly he did not get much of a UK welcome or publicity. The Honourable Company Of Air Pilots were not there to greet him at Biggin Hill despite him being the youngest person to ever fly across the Pacific and Atlantic. The LAA have not given him the Bill Woodham Navigation Award.

However his local newspaper in Queensland sums his trip in a modest way that reflects his attitude.

HE DID IT

Lachlan Smart is back on home soil after a 45,000km journey that took him around the world.

And the Sunshine Coast couldn't be more proud.

He was welcomed home to much fanfare yesterday morning at Sunshine Coast Airport - eight weeks since he began his world-record attempt.

Lachlan has been dubbed the Jessica Watson of the skies but he is a hero in his own right.

The ambitious Nambour teenager is now proudly and officially the youngest person in history to circumnavigate the globe solo in a single-engine aircraft.

Making 24 stops in 15 countries on five continents is an amazing feat for anyone - let alone someone so young.

It's even more remarkable once you know Lachlan started his Wings Around the World dream just two-and-a-half years ago and had his first flying lesson at 14 years old.

He broke records early into his journey by becoming the youngest person to fly solo over the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.

Now he holds a Guinness World Record.

Not only did he invoke tremendous national pride after his epic journey, Lachlan has proven a great role model for young people all over the world.

At just 18, he has demonstrated incredible dignity, professionalism and humility in the face of being in the national and international media spotlight.

Lachie, you have inspired us all but especially those who dare to dream.SOAPBOX: Young pilot inspires us to follow a dream | Sunshine Coast Daily (http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/opinion-young-pilot-inspires-us-to-follow-a-dream/3082771/)

There are lots of pictures of him on the web but I like this one with his proud mum.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/content/dam/images/g/r/2/l/2/l/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.gr2l5c.png/1472278527499.jpg

ShyTorque
27th Aug 2016, 21:17
"Proper job!"

Unlike some........

Stanwell
28th Aug 2016, 06:34
Well done, Lachlan.

Perhaps if heli does come back, he might also like to point out to the readers and contributors the "ill-informed speculations".
Waiting with bated breath.

Above The Clouds
28th Aug 2016, 08:07
A very big well done Lachian, a true adventure, a fantastic journey and all done Solo.

XV666
28th Aug 2016, 08:56
I echo the comments on Lachlan's achievement and sincerely hope that the HCAPA consider recommending him for recognition.

DeltaV
28th Aug 2016, 10:42
I echo the comments on Lachlan's achievement and sincerely hope that the HCAPA consider recommending him for recognition.
If it did I wonder what Lachlan would think of that. Would it make any difference to his life? Not saying it would or it wouldn't, just thinking that some people don't feel the need for honours or celebrity.

Flyingmac
28th Aug 2016, 10:45
Fly in the ointment comment but, I think Lachlan's achievement is mastering the Cirrus 'Take me to Cuba' capabilities rather than any great navigation or aircraft handling skills. I'd be more impressed if he'd done the trip in an aircraft that couldn't fly itself.
He could probably have read his way through a few novels en-route with the Cirrus.

DeltaV
28th Aug 2016, 10:59
Well, Flyingmac's remarks may very well be true but I disagree with the sentiment. I have never done anything on that scale and never will but I imagine it would still take some courage and mettle, and that is admirable. If he has done it for personal satisfaction without any particular fanfare or pretence, so much the better.

Jonzarno
28th Aug 2016, 11:17
I agree that it's a hell of an experience and must have been a great adventure for a 17 year old, and he deserves every congratulation for having achieved it. :D

That said, as a Cirrus pilot myself: it's not a technically difficult trip to fly, and several other Cirrus pilots have actually already done it, albeit not at the age of 17. FWIW, there is one Cirrus pilot currently posting on COPA who has done this trip and, having upgraded to a PC12 is now doing a polar circumnavigation. Sorting the logistics and funding are probably much more difficult than the actual flying!

Despite this, there's no doubt that it was potentially dangerous as it involved a number of long over-water flights in a SEP but, as the recent chute pull on the ferry flight to Australia showed: good planning, which I'm sure Lachlan would have had, can go a long way towards mitigating the risk.

9 lives
28th Aug 2016, 11:46
it would still take some courage and mettle, and that is admirable.

Yes. It seems that Lachlan flew an aircraft in a challenging situation, and used it's capabilities appropriately. So it's more capable than a well equipped Stearman, I don't think he was competing with a Stearman! Regardless of the capability of the aircraft, transoceanic flight in a light single piston aircraft is an achievement - more so if flown solo. In the mean time, I don't have the sense that he was calling everyone out to the airport to watch him land, and have his photo taken with notable people. Self aggrandizement does not appear to be his priority. All the more reason to offer him some honourable recognition.

Bushe Pilot
28th Aug 2016, 22:30
If he had done it by flapping his arms someone would still have said "well, it's not really that hard".

megan
29th Aug 2016, 06:07
Sorting the logistics and funding are probably much more difficult than the actual flying!Fully aware of what you are saying, but a young man such as Lachlan does not have a wealth of experience to draw upon. I'm sure he must have had a few OMG moments that wouldn't have fazed a more experienced aviator. A good dose of kudos to him for taking on the challenge and pulling it off with seemingly no hiccups. Hope to see him write it up.

Mike Flynn
29th Aug 2016, 06:36
He has written it up in a blog on his website Megan.
http://www.wingsaroundtheworld.com.au/blog/

Well worth reading.

In all the interviews Lachlan emerges as a modest and unassuming young man.

He was alone throughout the entire trip organising the ground logistics etc. There was no support team waiting to whisk him off to the luxury of a five star hotel while others took care of the boring bits.Sitting in any seat for in excess of thirteen hours is not fun.

However he freely admits he was in constant contact with a support team back in Queeensland.

To answer suggestions that his adventure was all done on autopilot his blog suggests otherwise and is well worth reading.

The irritating sound of my alarm bursts through the silence of a nice summer’s night in Hawaii to tell me the time has come to face my biggest challenge to date on the Wings Around the World journey.

It’s 12:45am, I only had 3 and a half hours of broken sleep and it was already time to get up, pack up my equipment and head to the airport. This may be the journey of a lifetime, but in the early hours of the morning the struggle is real

As I waited for my handler Candicelee from Air Service Hawaii, I had a last chat to the weather briefing office to make sure the forecasts hadn’t changed in the last 5 hours, and with all being ok I set off for the airport. I felt confidently nervous.

Two days prior we (my team and I) had delayed the trip across to California by 24 hours due to weather not being favourable with a hurricane to the south of my flight path. With the extra time up my sleeve I had managed to get some rest, but that also came with an extra 24 hours for my nerves to build up.

In the car with Candicelee it was very quiet as I contemplated what lay ahead of me, and what challenges I might face. I arrived at the airport at 2am, preflighted the aeroplane, packed the last of my bags, cleared the Department Of Agriculture check and carefully hopped in the Cirrus via the front of the wing. With a lot of fuel on board in my ferry tank, the plane was quite tail heavy (within the limits of what is approved) and had I put the same amount of pressure on the step that I normally did, the plane would tip towards the tail. Everything was measured to the nth degree, including my movements.

Starting the engine up, I received my clearance from Honolulu that I was cleared to fly to Hollister, California via my flight planned route at 9000 feet, so with that I began the take off roll and lifted into the pitch black night.

There were a few clouds around so it was very dark at take off, almost like flying in space, so I watched my instruments like a hawk and climbed steadily by those. Upon leaving VHF range I transitioned to the HF radio and began talking to San Francisco. It was a challenging and a very grueling first 3 hours as I was hand flying the aircraft purely by instruments, while trying to burp the tank and manage communications, fuel transfers, engine monitoring and more. Being very tired I decided some food was required to keep me awake so I burst out one of my precious muesli bars that took walking through 3 shops to find… but they were worth it.

After dawn broke, and the aircraft became lighter as fuel was burnt I transitioned from the hectic start of the flight to a more relaxed cruise. The next 10 hours felt like a lifetime and upon reaching the point of no return I was both nervous and excited. Nervous because it meant I had to get this right or go for a Pacific cruise in my life raft, but excited because it meant that one way or another, I was going to have finished this challenging leg of the journey soon and couldn’t turn back.

Around the 9-10 hour mark I was certainly ready to stretch the legs and thought surely this must be nearly over…Nope, there were 4 hours remaining. So I settled in and kept going with the routine I have come to know so well. I’ll give you a quick run down of my hourly workflow.

Blog | Wings Around the World (http://www.wingsaroundtheworld.com.au/blog/)

Parson
29th Aug 2016, 07:02
Seems like a nice young man and good luck to him. Couldn't help thinking 'yeah, ok whatever..' though. Somehow, I can't really get excited about it.

Oh, and drop the gold bars until/if someone requires you to wear them.

No doubt CV will get a lot more coverage when she goes on her wee jaunt. But then so did Sir Branston when he fell off his bike....

DeltaV
29th Aug 2016, 09:03
Ha ha, gold bars, yeah.
Not a fan of such things myself but for a round-the-world I can see how they might be useful in some places he possibly stopeed at.

Parson
29th Aug 2016, 11:44
DeltaV - possibly, however I don't think Australia is one such place.

Jan Olieslagers
29th Aug 2016, 12:40
No indeed, must perhaps mean the 'stopee' http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/boohoo.gif in Hawai.

Mike Flynn
29th Aug 2016, 20:15
It appears the recent criteria is set by this letter. (address at the top of the letter in the public domain https://www.endole.co.uk/company/07763562/bird-in-a-biplane-limited)

https://s18.postimg.io/7704c4209/Master_s_Medal_Letter_Page_1.jpg

Now given the facts are known does Lachlan Smart qualify for a Masters Medal
based on the second paragraph of the letter above?

He seems to tick all the boxes?

However the Honourable Company of Air Pilots find themselves in a difficult position.

Just to remind new readers, after it became known that Tracey Curtis Taylor had a 20,000 hour commercial pilot up front on her "sole pilot"
flying exploits the HCAP issued a new press release.
"The Honourable Company of Air Pilots has awarded Tracey Curtis Taylor The Master’s Medal for organising an aviation expedition from the UK to Australia, retracing the route flown by Amy Johnson as a tribute to her, which formed part of a wider promotional endeavour to encourage females into aviation. There was one specific, principal aim in mind: to promote aviation to many thousands of youngsters, especially women, across the globe for whom flying is a distant, even unknown or seemingly unachievable activity. This is particularly relevant when an estimated 400,000 new commercial pilots are needed worldwide in the next twenty years to meet anticipated growth. The Master’s award recognises Tracey Curtis-Taylor’s work in raising awareness of science and technology in general, and aviation in particular, amongst young women across the world”.

Lachlan Smart has also ticked all the boxes and more to achieve "Raising awareness of science and technology in general, and aviation in particular"

More than that he is the youngest pilot to ever fly around the world SOLO

megan
30th Aug 2016, 00:05
Oh, and drop the gold bars until/if someone requires you to wear them.
An absolute necessity to have the bars when flying in parts of the world.

Mike Flynn
1st Sep 2016, 21:45
I doubt the Russian balloonist Fedor Konyukhov, who circumnavigated the earth and over flew his launch point in Northam,West Australia will be getting a letter from the Honourable Company of Air Pilots.http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/7586440-3x2-940x627.jpg
Russian adventurer Fedor Konyukhov breaks world hot air balloon record, lands safety in WA - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-23/russian-adventurer-lands-hot-air-balloon-in-wa/7654812)

The same goes for 18 year old Lachlan Smart.http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201507/r1453186_21126749.jpg

He might have become the youngest person to ever fly a single engined aircraft around the world over the long stretches of the Pacific and Atlantic but he fails on the connections front.

Sadly even these days you need to be well connected with the right people to get recognition,gongs,and awards.

Two major records to come out of Australia in a few months this summer but the British establishment have turned a blind eye.

BEagle
1st Sep 2016, 22:24
Are you suffering from OCD, or what?

I think we get the message that you're not very happy with the awards given to Ms TC-T....

Mike Flynn
1st Sep 2016, 22:39
If you cannot add anything positive then why comment?

My point is the various UK organisations, who dished out awards like confetti to Tracey Curtis Taylor, have had plenty of time to contact both of these genuine global solo pilots and indeed sent letters of congratulation.

Perhaps you are one of the 'establishment' figures who would like to bury threads such as this.

If you don't like the topic then avoid it.

The constant 'banging on' here on Pprune is what has made the TCT sham refuse to die.

The alternative is she wallows in the so called "Aviatrix inspirational pilot" myth for years to come while genuine long distance pilots go unrecognised.