PDA

View Full Version : Derek Davidson

r10bbr
24th Jul 2016, 17:11
hi a fellow newbie here, wanted to ask has anyone come across the following site:

Derek Davidson Pilot Training - Derek Davidson Flight Instructor and Examier

in particular the '' 3 WEEK EASA PPL COMPLETION ''
any feedback or reviews would be grateful , as that i am deciding whether to travel to the states to complete my PPL or here in the UK, also is it possible to complete the PPL in the 3 weeks period, if flying is observed on average 3/4 hours a day?

Cenus_
24th Jul 2016, 17:14
I'd suggest three weeks is ambitious with British weather!

pulse1
24th Jul 2016, 18:02
Derek Davidson does seem to get results for his customers but I agree that 3 weeks is ambitious, especially if the 2016 weather pattern continues. Having said that, he recently completed a renewal GFT for a seriously lapsed PPL of a neighbour of mine in the most appalling weather.

MrAverage
25th Jul 2016, 09:04
I'd say it depends how much you've done already, both studying and flight training. If starting from scratch, the chances of finishing in 3 weeks in the UK are very slim.

r10bbr
26th Jul 2016, 03:57
i have completed all my ground exams, currently i have flown just shy of 45 hours, waiting to go solo, then complete cross country/nav etc. i'v decided to change schools due to being treated like a second class person, as that either my instructor does not place me in his schedule or that i have to alternate between 2/3/4 different instructors and have been doing circuits for the last 6 lessons..

hobbit1983
26th Jul 2016, 07:03
Circuits often takes that long, or more. Have you discussed your issues with your instructor and/or the school?

r10bbr
26th Jul 2016, 14:33
i have discussed the matter with the school and instructor, and to be honest i feel i am being mucked about as that i have told them that i am free for 7 months and could i be booked in advance but i have been ignored, thus i am looking elsewhere

Cusco
26th Jul 2016, 15:30
I see you've done 45 hours but still not gone solo: Could I ask how long you've been flying?

It might be relevant to your original question.

Cusco

r10bbr
26th Jul 2016, 17:09
been flying since late Feb 2016

ArthurG
26th Jul 2016, 18:01
I'm spending 3 days with Derek D next week to convert from NPPL microlight to SSEA and then to LAPL(A). I'll let you know how I get on.

r10bbr
26th Jul 2016, 18:35
Hi Arthur, i wish you the very best , do let us know how you get on

r10bbr
27th Jul 2016, 14:56
can any one refer me to schools within the uk that do intensive PPL Course?
regards

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jul 2016, 17:26
If you have the money, pretty much any of them.

G

r10bbr
27th Jul 2016, 20:50
can you perhaps and state some of them please

hobbit1983
27th Jul 2016, 20:56
GoFly at Old Sarum (I don't work for them) I can say are pretty good. I'm sure Tom (the Ops Manger) would be able to accommodate you.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jul 2016, 21:38
Certainly two, probably all three of the flying schools at Cranfield, West London Aero Club at White Waltham, Tayside at Dundee, Western Air at Thruxton...

... basically, just go talk to any school, explain what you want to achieve, and any which is any good (which is most of them) will work with you to achieve that.

The Flyer Magazine "learn to fly guide" will list most of the schools in the UK - after that it's mostly geography.

G

JDJ
27th Jul 2016, 22:46
Yes, you just have to ask - most schools will sort something out for you. I remember doing 2 weeks at Welshpool many moons ago. It's a good idea flying on weekdays - more availability of aircraft!

can any one refer me to schools within the uk that do intensive PPL Course?
regards

MrAverage
28th Jul 2016, 10:06
r10bbr
We can help at Elstree, which should allow you to commute, depending how deep into Essex you are.
Feel free to send me a PM.

r10bbr
29th Jul 2016, 18:04
i am located in South Woodford,

Whirlybird
29th Jul 2016, 20:09
It doesn't sound to me as though you need an intensive course. These are designed for people who haven't done any flying, to get them a PPL quickly. If I've understood correctly, you've done 45 hours flying and all your ground exams, but you're being messed around. It sounds as though you need a school which is prepared to accommodate your schedule, and an instructor you can fly with regularly that you get on with. That's slightly different. I'd suggest you visit a few flying schools, talk to instructors, talk to students, and get a feel for each place. Tell them what you want to do, and see how they react. You're not asking for anything that complicated.

gyrotyro
30th Jul 2016, 16:55
I did some of my PPL training with Derek and then later my initial IMC rating.

He is a first class in instructor, old school and now as he is 80 really old school!

He gets the job done and is thorough and reliable.

Give him a call.

r10bbr
30th Jul 2016, 18:05
how much did Derek charge you, I'm gone see how it goes with Derek before looking at other schools, i really would like to finish before september intake for ATPL

Momoe
30th Jul 2016, 22:17
3 weeks isn't impossible. I did mine in 3 weeks and 1 day because the day of the GFT was unflyable.

I did mine at Clacton on C152/C172 for navex's but circuit work/general flying was in Supercubs, I went for the tail dragger option as I was looking to get into a syndicate with a Chipmunk and a Tigermoth.

Read your reference material until you know it inside out and everything is clear, on the days when flying isn't advisable, get your exams out of the way.
Any days when flying is possible, grab an instructor and go, I went solo fairly early and did circuits ad nauseum till they let me go on navex's.

I paid 50% up front, 25% half way through and balance after 3 weeks.
I lodged with one of the instructors so that kept costs down and guaranteed me getting there on time every day.

Agree with Whirly and airpolice, you want to become qualified and pay money to do it, it's not complicated - find somewhere that will accommodate you but be prepared to commit yourself fully also.

p.s. Didn't get in the Chippy/Moth syndicate, but ended up in an Auster group which was great fun.

r10bbr
30th Jul 2016, 22:50
Momoe, i have done all my exams and now i have just the skills test to do, i really hoped my first flying school whom i paid to do my ppl would have accommodate me and put me first but it seems i was just another figure where instructors chose when to fly not when student was available

Whirlybird
31st Jul 2016, 09:04
"i have done all my exams and now i have just the skills test to do".

I thought you said in an earlier post that you hadn't yet gone solo and had all the nav etc to do. Which is it?

r10bbr
31st Jul 2016, 14:31
i have completed all the PPL exams , and have just left the skills test to do, i have yet to go solo and from my exercise sheet i have been told i have to do the following after solo, which are cross country / solo cross country etc

hobbit1983
31st Jul 2016, 23:03
You do know you need a minimum of 10 hours solo prior to skills test...?

r10bbr
31st Jul 2016, 23:26
yes i do understand, just frustrated at being mucked about with my first school and hope to complete my ppl in start of September intake for ATPLs

glum
1st Aug 2016, 12:03
I'm very surprised at the number of hours you've flown without going solo.

I did it at about hour 15 I think, and I'm aware others will do it in less than 10.

This post isn't to question your ability, it's to question the syllabus - I presumed it was standard, and that each student worked through the same lessons in order meaning you'd get to lesson X "solo circuit" and fly it once the instructor thought you ready?

Can instructors mix and match the lesson order?

r10bbr
1st Aug 2016, 12:29
i too am surprised & distraught i assumed i would have flown solo in under 20 hours, where i have learnt my PPL I'm not sure whether instructors can mix and match lesson order's but from my knowledge and what i was told after solo i had the following left to complete : Forced landing without power/Precautionary landings/Navigation/Navigation at lower levels and reduced visibility/Radio navigation/Basic instrument flight

i just hope i can complete the following within the 3 weeks as stated by Derek Davidson, thus i can start my ATPLS in September

Auster Fan
1st Aug 2016, 13:26
I wish you well, but as others have said, think you're being pretty optimistic, not least because of the vagaries of the British weather, especially where preparation for and completing your Qualifying Cross Country is concerned...You've not made any mention of the oral/practical radio exam you will need to pass either? Have you passed that along with the other written exams?

r10bbr
1st Aug 2016, 17:09
i have passed my radio exams and the 9 exams just the flying left

Genghis the Engineer
1st Aug 2016, 17:16
All the difficult bits then!

I can absolutely see why you need to consider changing school, but equally you'd only be starting ATPL groundschool in September as you won't have the hours to do the flying course - and there are plenty of those that will start any time.

Best of luck, yes do seriously look at changing school, but I think you need to be realistic about what's achievable in the timescale you're aiming for. And, being frank, whether you have the aptitude to go "pro" if you've not soloed in that many hours at a reasonably intensive flying rate (I'm sure you are up to getting a PPL eventually, but the professional licences do take a significantly higher standard of flying).

G

Whirlybird
1st Aug 2016, 20:38
r10bbr, some of what you say seems a bit strange. You haven't soloed yet, after 40+ hours. That in itself is normal for some of us. It took me that long, and some others too. But it usually means you haven't reached the standard for an instructor to let you fly an aircraft alone. There are many reasons for that. It may be due to poor instruction, lack of aptitude, slow learning ability, unsuitable weather, a difficult airfield at which to learn, and possibly other reasons too. In my case and I suspect many others, it was all of the above.

Now, it may be that you're different, and for some reason your instructors are holding you back although you're good enough to go solo, but it seems unlikely. That rarely happens. Either way, it's about time you changed school and instructor, and try to get some honest feedback as to what your problems are, and why you haven't soloed yet.

As to trying to finish by September, you might, but it's going to be hard. You summarise the exercises you have to do; well, trust me, that's quite a lot! If you're a very fast learner and have good instruction and ideal weather you might manage it in three weeks, but most people wouldn't. It may well take you longer, and maybe you should get used to that idea.

On that point, please don't worry if it takes you a long time. I don't agree with what Genghis said; even some of us slow learners can 'go pro'. It just takes us a little longer, that's all. I got my CPL and instructor's rating, but eventually I gave up expecting to do anything at all in minimum hours. As a newish helicopter instructor, I had a student who couldn't seem to learn, and I passed him on to the CFI in case it was my fault. This chap wanted to get a CPL(H), but eventually a couple of instructors sat down with him and explained that he could probably do it, but it would take a long time. He was so relieved to realise he could make it and we weren't giving up on him that his flying improved quite a bit. You see, putting yourself under time pressure doesn't help, and often hinders your progress!

So I'd say stop trying to rush things, find a school and instructor you get on with, and learn at YOUR pace. Of course I may be wrong in all of the above, because you haven't told us everything and I'm not psychic; this is just based on what I think has been happening. Feel free to ignore all I've said if you want. But hopefully some of it will help.

r10bbr
1st Aug 2016, 21:18
i appreciate all the feedback to summarise i have completed all the 9 exams but have yet to take the skills test or go solo

yes it differs people to people but from what i have stated i may need another 20 or 30 lessons, from what i gathered in terms of the exercises that are left from the syllabus

what annoyed me as to why i decided to change schools/instructors and seek alternative options is that during my PPL training even after telling the school/instructors i have taken 6 months off to complete the PPL as a whole, i have had 5 instructors in total all alternating with my lessons and feel that favouritism are been given to the new students/international students, thus sticking with one instructor is hard as it is due to not been given slots to fly etc

my initial thread was about DerekDavidsons 3 weeks PPL completion possibility and review, thus i wanted to ask if anyone had completed this course or knew of someone, looking back on it i feel i should have gone to the states back when i started, by now i would have completed my PPL and some what be in between my ATPLS

i appreciate all the replys to this thread and hope i have not come across like a head less chicken or a drama queen. i do understand it takes time & effort and money to complete the PPL but i feel that the flying school should have made me a priority even after i have told them my situation and my free time, but i will bot rant about that here

Genghis the Engineer
1st Aug 2016, 21:53
Fair point Whirly - knowing you and your flying background pretty well, I agree that you do demonstrate that slow does not (necessarily) equate to poor - you proved that conclusively.

G

Parson
2nd Aug 2016, 09:55
r10bbr

Don't be disheartened about what has happened. What's done is done - draw a line under it and set yourself a plan for the rest of your flying (and career if that is what you intend).

I wouldn't recommend rushing to get your PPL done so that you can start your ground school. The PPL isn't a 'tick in the box' on your way to becoming a professional pilot. You are learning fundamental skills that you will build on later and you do not want to develop any bad habits.

The CPL is really just a glorified PPL in a complex aircraft, flown to tighter limits. And the IR is effectively visual flying by other means. If you can't fly straight and level and in trim at PPL level you are going struggle with your IR course. I'm not up to speed with current rates but I suspect that a typical IR training route is pushing £1000 these days so any extra training needed is going to hurt....

Try schools close to home initially - always good to be in your own bed at night. Explain your situation and find an instructor/school you are comfortable with and come up with a plan to complete your PPL and importantly hone the skills you will need as you develop.

And don't forget to enjoy it....

Momoe
2nd Aug 2016, 13:33
Parson,

although there is nothing like being in your own bed, the 3 week intensive course I did meant that I lived and breathed aviation for the entire period.

I wanted a PPL and there was nothing else on my mind, I did struggle initially as I was trying to take in learning to fly (although I had about 3 hours stick time) through a friend, getting exams out of the way and it was a very steep curve.
Getting exams out of the way and being able to concentrate on flying was a big milestone and going solo was the other big one.

I strongly believe that immersing myself was the best way for me and might work for others too, we are all different but flying virtually every day consolidated what I had learnt, basically, there was no appreciable time lapses to forget anything.

This meant that I became confident of my nav skills and would use NDB's and VOR's to cross check position to the extent that I would get navex's when the weather was less than optimal.

Chipping away at a PPL at weekends and a few hours in the week doesn't give you that, maybe this suits some people but it definitely will take longer and it will almost certainly cost you more, not just in up front capital but in incidental costs such as travelling.

The OP is frustrated with their lack of progress so with all the ground work completed, I would try a weeks intensive course and see how that goes.
If it goes well, the confidence gained will go a long way to ensuring the rest of the flying part of the PPL is completed expediently.

Parson
2nd Aug 2016, 15:23
Momoe,

I've nothing against an intensive flying course - after all, CPL and IR are just that. Point I was making was not to rush things to hit what would appear to be an arbitrary date to start groundschool.

The other side of the coin to intensive flying (and of course more gradual learning) is maintaining those skills....

parkfell
2nd Aug 2016, 22:06
Learning to fly takes time. You need to be able to absorb it at your pace. Osmosis?
Pushing too hard, three lessons a day is futile. You are not a machine with a positronic brain.
What is important long term is the quality. Get it right at the PPL stage, and the CPL/IR stage will be straight forward.
And probably the most important basic skill is TRIMMING, and trimming well.
Acquire this skill, and it will stay on rails. Failure to trim well ends up in a constant battle of Man v. machine.
40+ hours without first solo is a cause for concern.........

r10bbr
2nd Aug 2016, 23:58
40 hours without solo is a concern but then where I'm angry is that i have told the school my free times yet i am not getting the hours or the instructor chosen is not free for what ever reason, but from speaking to a few others i may need additional 30 hours or less thus my next concern is if the 30 hours cost is the same as 45 hours at another school do i proceed with DEREK or choose another flying school to complete the course

hobbit1983
3rd Aug 2016, 00:26
Most, if not all, flying schools will do some kind of bespoke program. They often need the income! Your experience sounds atypical to me. I'd recommend shopping around, you don't necessarily need to go to DD.

However, a word of warning; there should be absolutely no guarantee (from any flying training operation) that you'll be able to get what you need done by September. Formulate a back up plan for your ATPLs.

r10bbr
3rd Aug 2016, 00:32
i have shoped around and i will not be going back to my original flying school where i started my initial PPL, i have looked at a few places that are near me within driving distance and price wise the difference is that of say roughly between £500-£1000, but what I'm thinking is will the weather be improving in AUGUST OR SEPTEMBER ,

hobbit1983
3rd Aug 2016, 00:34
In England? Good luck with that. Could go either way...

Seriously. Crack on but don't put yourself under that timetable pressure.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Aug 2016, 07:32
Do make sure that your logbook is signed by the school you're leaving, verifying your hours.

G

r10bbr
3rd Aug 2016, 09:02
i guess going to the states within the next 11 days or so and completing the ppl over there won't mean i will achieve it within the next 6 weeks will it? i have been told DEREk charges £200 per lesson including landing charges thus my question is if i need say 30 additional lessons to complete my PPL do i go with him or find another school as i have found another school where they charge 30 hours for £5100, huge price difference of £900..

would i be wise to visit the additional school/s tell them my story and let them assess how many hours i will need to complete the PPL

Jetblu
3rd Aug 2016, 09:56
r10bbr

Where about in Essex are you/have you been flying from?

r10bbr
3rd Aug 2016, 10:08
S$!^£*ford ( i have chosen to omit the schools name for personal reason to respect the school and not to create any personal prejudice's etc )

hobbit1983
3rd Aug 2016, 10:13
The States generally have much more stable weather than here. Possibly; can't advise you on that, all my time instructing was spent in the UK.

Without being familiar with either Derek or the other school, no idea. You'll have to pick. Having said that, I suspect there is no "magic bullet" that DD possess, and others do not.

Any flying school you go to with a half completed PPL will and should want to know your backstory. They won't be able to truly make an estimate of how long you'll need until they fly with you; and even then it'll only be a guess.

r10bbr
3rd Aug 2016, 12:33
I wish i could go back and either find a more suitable flying school whom would have accommodated me to the time table for when i first started maybe then i would not have been in this situation , any hows my next question is the pricing as that when i was looking at other schools, if i need approximately 30 hours or less and that if DEREK's pricing is the same as 45 Hours at another school , do i opt to fly with DEREK or choose the alternative flying school and complete the required hours whereas i will be saving the difference in price etc...

Also in terms of location i have found that flying wth DEREK will involve flying in BOURNEMOTH whereas if i chose an alternative school such as CRANFIELD i would be flying from MILTON KEYNES, thus will the weather be good in AUGUST/SEPTEMBER in either location.

hobbit1983
3rd Aug 2016, 12:45
The weather won't be appreciably better in either location, overall.

I don't believe Derek is somehow magically better than other schools.

Here's what to do;

-Stop fannying about on PPRuNe.
-Pick a school; go and visit one that has reasonable prices that is located somewhere good for you. Unless you're going to the US, don't both trying to pick somewhere in the UK with good weather.
-When you visit, walk in unannounced, find the Operations person, explain your situation and ask what they can do for you.
-Repeat until you find somewhere you feel comfortable at that make you feel welcome. Talk to the othet studes as well, see what they have to say.
-Don't pay upfront, ever.
-Get flying, pronto. You keep going on about your September deadline. Well, you posted here almost two weeks ago, and far as we know, you've still not gotten back into the air.
-Report back.

ajojets
3rd Aug 2016, 12:54
I did my Microlight to SSEA with Derek over three days, the one + is that he seems to fly in weather that most instructors wouldn't, I was converting from three axis microlight and also had some time in a C152, so wasn't to bad jumping into a P28, if it was a flexwing microlight conversion to SSEA, three days would be pushing it.

Pilot.Lyons
3rd Aug 2016, 13:13
iv just hopped onto this conversation so forgive me if this has been said already.

have you considered going to another school to see how they think you fly?

40 hours without solo is a long time but certainly not unheard of. i took about 12 but i was also aiming for completing in a month. i did all ground exams with derek, rt with my school but due to weather and bookings etc it took me 6 months in the end 45 hours and 10 mins total time.

everyone has their own absorption rate and it should never be rushed, people could get hurt that way. just go with the flow and see what happens. i do think getting another instructors opinion may be worth while step to take. An intensive course is probably going to be unnecessary if say for example , you were being held back.

r10bbr
3rd Aug 2016, 13:56
yes i have considered other schools and have made the necessary appointment to visit them and to explain my situation, yes i agree everyone works at there own pace and yes it should never be rushed, i just wish that by now i would have had my PPL license and look forward to starting my ATPLS .. i guess i will have to take it a day as a time, one quick question i have also looked on Best Flying Schools In The UK | TopRankFlyingSchools.co.uk (http://www.toprankflyingschools.co.uk) and in particular the top 10 flying schools in the UK, picking a school that is in the top 5 will that count towards my completion of PPL faster etc than compared to a school that is not in the top 10?

parkfell
3rd Aug 2016, 15:05
Given your slow progress so far, the last thing to do is RUSH.

The time it takes you to complete will largely be down to your progress, and not down to "the best schools" table.
Simply choose one that suits you, and do it. You need to ask them for an honest opinion as to whether you are capable of achieving PPL standard, and if you are, what are your prospects for a professional licence in the fullness of time.
Consider aptitude testing post PPL stage.

Mariner9
3rd Aug 2016, 15:14
I have no idea how they define "top" on that website (which is just a paid-for advertising site) but very much doubt "speed of PPL completion" is amongst the categories judged (assuming there is any "judgement")

hobbit1983
3rd Aug 2016, 16:58
It's no good wishing about the past.

I'll be blunt; it seems you're wasting a lot of time doing research to find out which is the faster school to complete with.

Flying training is (in the main) flying training; one particular school doesn't somehow go a lot faster than the others.

Maoraigh1
3rd Aug 2016, 17:12
From psychology lectures 50+ years ago: humans differ in their learning imagery. You may need an instructor who understands (shares?) yours. I learnt nothing from watching an instructor do something.
Kinaesthetic imagery???
(Slow to solo gliders, 3 hours to convert to power on a DH82 Jackeroo variant.)

Jetblu
3rd Aug 2016, 18:06
hobbit1983

Nothing at all wrong with being blunt, but try and be accurate.

Each flying school I have come across has its own agenda and sometimes I have seen where the interests of the student is disregarded. It is true to say that some instructors are career instructors offering a full time service whilst others have part time jobs elsewhere, while just building hours towards an unfrozen ATPL.

R10bbr, you may wish to consider Clacton Aero Club. They also offer intense instruction and are very very good. That said, I have also heard complimentary remarks about DD.

hobbit1983
3rd Aug 2016, 20:26
Jetblu,

I'll be blunt; it seems you're wasting a lot of time doing research to find out which is the faster school to complete with.

Flying training is (in the main) flying training; one particular school doesn't somehow go a lot faster than the others.

Nothing at all wrong with being blunt, but try and be accurate.

Each flying school I have come across has its own agenda and sometimes I have seen where the interests of the student is disregarded. It is true to say that some instructors are career instructors offering a full time service whilst others have part time jobs elsewhere, while just building hours towards an unfrozen ATPL.

I believe I am being accurate - hence the 'in the main' bit. I don't disagree some schools are better than other, but the OP is still going to have to do a set number of exercises. And he's running out of time, apparently.

r10bbr
3rd Aug 2016, 22:08
wow the prices of Clacton Aero Club is 1k cheaper if not 2 k cheaper to those schools i have looked at price wise for 45 hours PPL, i do understand i may not even need 45 hours but as that is the cheapest school found does that mean there delivering of PPL to students will be less than other schools of different price, now the question asked will the weather be better in clacton ?

i found the following club Flying schools - Clacton Aero Club flying school (http://www.clactonaeroclub.co.uk), the price of 45 hours ppl is between 1 to 2k cheaper to other schools i have looked at the prices are:

Cessna 150/152
Training: Hourly - £129 - 10hr block £122 per hour

PA18 - 150 Super Cub
Training: Hourly £149 - 10hr block £142 per hour

Cessna 172
Training: Hourly £152 - 10hr block £145 per hour

Cessna 150 / 152 (45 hours £5490 )

thus if i need 30 hours it will be that of £3,660

im in two minds now

Jetblu
3rd Aug 2016, 22:58
Accommodation is available too if you ask. You will enjoy it there. The instruction is 1st class grass roots flying. The mindset is totally different.
If the weather plays ball, no reason why you wouldn't complete in 2-3 weeks.
Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

r10bbr
3rd Aug 2016, 23:33
hi jetful thank you for your reply, wow i wish i found or heard about this school before, I'm amazed at the prices surely how can they afford to maintain and run if other schools prices are more? may i ask is there info i should know about clacton?

Whirlybird
4th Aug 2016, 08:44
r10bbr, Stop just concentrating on the price! I would have thought you'd have learned that by now, after your experiences. It's the quality of instruction and - very, very important - how you get on with your instructor which count. Also the organisation at the school - whether you can fly with the same instructor all the time if you want to, whether you can book lessons when YOU want them, type of runways (grass only limits you to dry-ish weather), and a whole host of other things. All this can make a huge difference to the number of hours it'll take you, and more importantly, to your ability as a pilot at the end. Early instruction is very important; you don't want to re-learn stuff you've been badly taught - and, sadly, I speak from experience here. :-(

Look, I don't usually blow my own trumpet, but I'm an instructor and also an aviation writer. I had an article published long ago called "What School, Which Instructor" which covers all these issues and more. If you're serious about this, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy. You might find it in back issues of Flight Training News, but it was published about 8 years ago!

All of this is equally important when it comes to choosing a school and instructor for more advanced courses too, such as CPL, FI etc, so don't think I'm treating you as a beginner. I'm simply trying to pass on the benefit of my experience. Plus...loads of people helped me on this site in the early days; it's time I passed it on.

Parson
4th Aug 2016, 10:22
r10bbr - you have received a lot of advice on here, some informed, some maybe not so. I would advise you to take Whirlybird up on her offer.

And, as others have said, do not go on price alone. If you go on to CPL/IR level, costs then will dwarf PPL training. And a little extra spent on good PPL training/grounding now may well save you additional training costs further down the line.

r10bbr
4th Aug 2016, 17:39
thank you for your replies i had my first trial lesson with Derek today lovely gentleman who cuts to the chase, i flew a PA28 compared to my normal cesna 152, loved it the PA28 was easy to fly, love the hand break style flaps and the big trim wheel, getting used to the new layout will take time lol, my day started doing a flight from Bournemoth Airport to Old Sarum Airfield, and then doing circuits roughly about 7 touch and go's and then general exercises such as stalling/steep turn

i still can't believe how easy it was to fly and i managed no hiccups in term of landing etc..
price is yet to be talked about but i will speak tomorrow but overall i enjoyed my trial flight and hope the good weather continues..

i appreciate everyone input and yes i will look at clacton on my next day off

ps air police i am looking to study my ATPLS at ground school and will build up hours during free time or after completion of ATPLS

parkfell
5th Aug 2016, 09:45
If you are content with DD stick with him. Leave Claxton until post PPL issue.

Don't be in any rush....

Mariner9
5th Aug 2016, 10:35
Good though DD may be, commuting from Essex to/from Bournemouth over the course of a PPL is going to be both a tough ask and expensive to boot.

Pick a school within an hours commute max would be my recommendation (unless you intend to get accommodation somewhere for a 3 week Florida-style PPL completion course)

r10bbr
5th Aug 2016, 18:01
just did my first solo loved it, was so exciting and it went quick the 15 mins of solo lol, i am actually staying nearby than commuting fellow members i will highly recommend others to DEREKDAVISDON, training has been great flying from BOURNEMOUTH INTERNATIONAL TO OLD SARUM AIRFIELD , felt so proud landing back at BOURNEMOUTH INTERNATIONAL on an actual airline airfield felt like i was sat behind a 747, lol..

ArthurG
5th Aug 2016, 21:14
Congratulations, r10bbr!:D I completed my conversion from microlight to SSEA this week with Derek. No complaints from me.

Jetblu
5th Aug 2016, 21:55
Excellent. Well done :ok:

...as I said earlier, I have only heard compliments about DD.

parkfell
6th Aug 2016, 06:40
Pleased to hear that you are enjoying it & congratulations on your FIRST SOLO.

Whirlybird
6th Aug 2016, 08:41
Congratulations r10bbr. Looks like you don't need my article right now, but hopefully it'll come in useful in the future.

r10bbr
7th Aug 2016, 13:29
thanks for the article and all the help fellow users

Mike Flynn
8th Aug 2016, 22:23
Is it not a bit unfair to have a four page thread on one instructor?

patowalker
9th Aug 2016, 10:17
Is it not a bit unfair to have a four page thread on one instructor?

He has been around longer than most. :-)

Parson
9th Aug 2016, 13:07
Unfair to whom?

DD is a bit more than 'one instructor' and offers in effect a unique product by specialising in helping students/qualified pilots complete courses of instruction.

And from what I have picked up from this thread, he gets a ringing endorsement.

r10bbr
9th Aug 2016, 20:53
i too agree with Parson, i can only speak highly of Derek Davidson

r10bbr
10th Aug 2016, 18:27
just a quick update guys :
Derek's charges are £189 p/h plus landing fees of Bournemouth Airport which is of £30 plus, on top of that the owner of the aircraft used during training his charges are £1,000

Mike Flynn
10th Aug 2016, 23:16
I can think of better ways of wasting money :-)

parkfell
11th Aug 2016, 21:14
A personal choice as ever.........

Mariner9
12th Aug 2016, 11:56
Derek's charges are £189 p/h plus landing fees of Bournemouth Airport which is of £30 plus, on top of that the owner of the aircraft used during training his charges are £1,000

You forgot to add the £500/post consultancy fee to Proon members for their assistance on this matter. I'll be sending you my invoice shortly...;)

r10bbr
12th Aug 2016, 21:48
lol, thats quite cheap lol

Jetblu
13th Aug 2016, 10:02
I'm much cheaper. You can buy me a beer down the road on completion of your qualify cross country [in the not too distant future.]

r10bbr
14th Aug 2016, 00:12
for those who have helped and shared their input i would be more than happy to buy a beer or a drink once i have completed my ppl, should not be that long fingers cross again thank you to all

A320baby
19th Aug 2016, 16:09
That £30 landing fee you are talking about is actually a landing card, it's a one off fee and you can land as many times as you want for that year. Although it was when I did it a few years back