PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough 2002

VORTIME
30th Jun 2002, 18:23
Is the airshow worth attending? Can one take a look inside the jets/light aircraft or just from the outside? What else is there?

Cheers!
VT

AerBabe
30th Jun 2002, 19:17
Very much worth attending, although you have to queue for hours to look round the inside of the few big jets that are open to the public. If you can beg/borrow/steal a ticket for a trade day I think you get to nose round a bit more.
Apart from the extensive static display there are simulator rides, trade stands, lots of bits and pieces for sale, and most importantly, a beer tent.
If you're interested in going, check out the bashes forums - a few of us are meeting up there :)

Evo7
30th Jun 2002, 19:47
When I was working for what is now QinetiQ at Farnborough, I used to wander down from the office to where they parked the fast jets after practice. Saw some superb flying (seeing a Sukhoi-37 - IIRC - somersault right above me was a highlight - a Mig-29 tailslide, also right above me, was just bl**dy scary) and I had a very entertaining chat with the pilot flying Typhoon (nee EFA), along with an unflappable Gripen test pilot - "hey, it's just a job"... :eek: :) Also had a laugh with some McLaren (of F1 fame) mechanics after they had their 2-seater race a Jaguar along the runway. Good times :) :)