PDA

View Full Version : reaching stapleford

Pilot16
30th Jun 2002, 17:02
Hi

I posted regarding this in the Private Flying forum but still have no reply.

I have been to Stapleford Aerodrome only once last year for a trial flight and am now thinking of doing PPL there.

I am worried if I do the course there, the journeys to reach the airfield and home again may take long and be tiring. I went with a car the last time i went, but I dont have a car of my own so I'll have to use the rail or underground service. Does any one have any idea how long it might take for me to reach the aerodrome by train to the nearest station? Is there some more bus journey wih it?
I am living in inner London near Thames (you can say).

320JI
30th Jun 2002, 18:13
you will find it very hard by public transport. You would have to get the central line to Epping or Debden then get a cab. I don't know of any buses but if there are they will be very infrequent

good luck

iainpoll
30th Jun 2002, 20:11
I am at Stapleford, I will ask around tomorrow re buses & trains.

Pilot16
30th Jun 2002, 20:48
cheers mate, I appreciate that.

awaiting your response :)

eyeinthesky
1st Jul 2002, 10:20
It's probably a good idea to factor in to your cost analysis of getting your PPL the cost of paying for taxis to and from the airport!

Have you thought of Denham, which has a station on the line from London not 300 yds away? (Not sure what the service frequency is).

G SXTY
1st Jul 2002, 11:11
There is most definitely a bus service to Stapleford. I think it's the no. 500 from Romford to Harlow.

I've no idea how frequent it is, but there always seems to be one in the way when I'm short finals to 22L.:) :)

Pilot16
1st Jul 2002, 12:02
There is most definitely a bus service to Stapleford. I think it's the no. 500 from Romford to Harlow.

you better be!

I live close to a central line station, so It will take me right to Epping or Debden. Just praying that there will be freqent bus service from the station to Stapleford. That way I can buy those monthly travel cards, and Im deffinately not using those black cabs :eek:

so do all of you's live near the aerodrome?

G SXTY
1st Jul 2002, 12:17
I actually live closer to Southend, but the instructors are much better looking at Stapleford. ;)

You’ll probably find that the bus goes via Epping Station, but I’d reckon the service is no more than hourly, so make sure you get yourself a timetable before you launch (whatever you do, don’t just take my word for it).