PDA

View Full Version : Delta Furloughs

Lartington
30th Jun 2002, 15:33
Was talking to a sim instructor for Delta who painted a rather grim picture at Delta with 850 pilots on furlough and 60 furlough notices a week still going out.What I found interesting was the comments he made regarding an MD-11 captain who had to move back to the right hand seat of a 767 because of these redundancies. He complained that he had had to take a $50,000 pay cut due to the demotion. When asked what his salary was as an MD-11 captain, he said he was on $300,000. I really cannot see how the majors can continue to pay that sort of money and stay in business. My last job as a 767 captain, I took home $4,000 a month including expenses and I gather there has been a pay cut since then.

WhatsaLizad?
30th Jun 2002, 16:07
Lartington,

A couple of points.

Delta is flat out replacing Delta pilot jobs with the lower paid jobs of their owned regional partners. the Delta pilots decided on higher pay for their senior pilots instead of protecting the jobs of all.

You mentioned "the Majors" like 300K jobs grow on trees. Delta has few MD-11's and fewer 777's. United is the only other with that pay level. At AA the max 777 Captain salary this year is around 212K, only 100 or so out of 14,000 can make this.

You made 4K a month at your last job? I don't have to look far in the states to find Garbage men and truck drivers making that. If that what it comes to I'd rather do that and stay in my own bed each night. Pilot salaries are NOT the problem. At AA, every pilot could work for free and we'd still lose money or make little profit this year.

411A
30th Jun 2002, 20:12
Hmmm, no wonder DAL & UAL have "problems".
Just talked to a recently retired AA Captain...and his biggest decision in life now is to decide which boat he "needs"...the 55 foot or the 67 foot.
67 was better for him...as he has lots of ah...toys.

TowerDog
30th Jun 2002, 21:47
Looks like you picked the wrong career path then 411A.

As for myself, I only have a 33 foot yacht, but it is paid for and 15 years to go.

What is the name of your new airline?
What types are ya flying?

411A
1st Jul 2002, 03:03
Tower Dog
Have a look in Freight Dogs in about two months for info.

Never did like boats...only toy I know of that costs more than a private aeroplane....except a mistress, perhaps.:rolleyes:

TowerDog
1st Jul 2002, 03:22
Boats can indeed be expensive:

As in my previous vessel, a 44' yawl 30 years old, bought for 30K, put 30 into and sold it 3 years later for 30.
Not good investment but heck, I lived on the thing all the time, sailed whenever I wanted etc.
Take the money lost and put it towards ocean front condo rent and unlimited boat rental and it comes out smelling fairly good.

As for mistresses being expensive...Well, wifes even more so.
And they get fatter..:(

Well, better stop here before anybody discovers the thread is hijacked and gone..:D

N380UA
1st Jul 2002, 08:04
How did this discussion from DAL furloughs wind up at yachts????
Just out of curiosity!

And 411A et al, it matters not who gets paid how much; that’s the way it is! Is it fair? Sure, because that’s the way it is! Is it necessary? Maybe? Is it necessary that a ballplayer get paid in the millions? Maybe? So why complain about it, if you don’t like it, go do something to improve your situation and don’t try to get the others down.
You don’t like yachts? Well, any comments about DAL furloughs then? Perhaps something constructive?

Engineer
1st Jul 2002, 08:05
You should have a look at this thread

Retirement (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56760)

now it can be seen why there is no sympathy for people who have to retire at 60 having earned this type of silly money.

It appears that the industry is rife with greed and the necessity to maintain an opulent life style.

Ghostflyer
1st Jul 2002, 12:12
'If it flies, floats or it f**Ks, rent it.'

Advice given to me when I was about to buy a Pitts S2-A.

Ghost;)

ironbutt57
1st Jul 2002, 19:02
You people have all lost the plot.....too bad for the Delta fellow...sorry I missed that boat.....as for the next sot down....I'd be embarrased to put those figures in writing...411A...u are indeed the slumlord of aviation......we're all doomed.:confused: :(

'%MAC'
1st Jul 2002, 19:45
There are many professions commanding a greater pecuniary reward with less of a sacrifice then that of a senior captain. I don’t see it as excessive for the sacrifices made, and the present responsibilities involved. From the Delta pilot’s perspective, he is now working 2 months gratis for the company, what a charitable man. It would be interesting to see an average of the salary over the career, as opposed to the last payment. Introductory pay is pathetic in the industry and is only enhanced toward the end of ones career. Anyway, we should all live within our means, even if we have to borrow to do it.

Come what come may,
Time and the hour runs through the roughest day.

(Paraphrases from Mae W. & William S.)