PDA

View Full Version : Boris's plane in emergency landing

littco
17th Jul 2016, 20:26
Not really sure if it's "news", of any interest or worth mentioning but here goes anyway !

About as dull as drama gets!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36820756

paperHanger
17th Jul 2016, 20:45
The Guardian has a *little* more detail:

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed that the aircraft, believed to be an RAF passenger jet, a BAE 146, had experienced a technical fault – thought to be an issue with the plane’s hydraulics.

Another "pilot carries out prescribed procedure and it works as expected" story ...

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Jul 2016, 20:52
But it does tell us that Boris feels the need to spend our money on a private jet when there is public transport, both air and train, running every few minutes.

oscarisapc
17th Jul 2016, 21:02
There were 16 pax presumably all part of the delegation. An RAF transport on a Sunday for the Foreign Secretary and his team seems reasonable to me as a taxpayer.

G-CPTN
17th Jul 2016, 21:46
Apparently Boris (at least) made his way onward 'by other means'.

Wageslave
17th Jul 2016, 22:42
But it does tell us that Boris feels the need to spend our money on a private jet when there is public transport, both air and train, running every few minutes.

Bejasus! What a sour, snide vindictive cheap and nasty post! The country with the 5th largest economy in the world is unable to provide its leaders with credible executive transport and prefers to reduce their essential travel to that of the plebian masses - hardly an edifying sight, and when they are occasionally allocated a governmental toy-joke aeroplane provided for the purpose and costing the nation absolutely NOTHING extra some corrosive feckwit comes put of the woodwork to scorn the "elitism" of the idea.

How did we ever sink so low?

Getrude ... you have my undying scorn as a spiteful cheapskate.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Jul 2016, 22:59
I agree with you completely Wageslave.

It's entirely appropriate to use a 32sqn aeroplane - or for that matter a rented suitable sized transport aircraft - for the foreign secretary plus his delegation to attend official meetings of that nature, as a matter of efficiency, security, flexibility and of national prestige. This is hardly a private jolly.

skyloone
18th Jul 2016, 00:32
How do some people expect government to run. Do you see big company execs hanging out for the next loco. No, if business calls they hire a jet. 16 pax needing to discuss state matters across a few rows in front of Joe public and then get dumped in some cases 120km's from the actual intended destination? As Joe public myself I'd rather them not. The RAF ac are a fixed unit cost whether used or not. Only a bit of gas. Besides, why the RAF haven't got any better kit is beyond me. Ah yes... Forgot, all the DFID money gets sent off to tinpot dictatorships to spend on private jets!!!

Trossie
18th Jul 2016, 07:37
Wageslave, spot on!

Having had the 'luxury' of business class travel (arranged by my employer!) I can fully understand the value of these improved methods of travel for people who have time constraints and need to work as they travel and, far more importantly, need to arrive refreshed and fit to go straight into work. And along the same lines I see all the value of 'bizjets' (added to the simple fact that they employ a whole lot more people, especially pilots!)
... there is public transport, both air and train, running every few minutes.Either a total failure to understand reality or cheap jealousy/envy.

(J.O., Excellent!!)

MATELO
18th Jul 2016, 08:21
Besides, why the RAF haven't got any better kit is beyond me.

They do.... Air Force Cam: PM enjoys first outing on refurbished RAF plane | Politics | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/08/air-force-cam-david-cameron-raf-plane)