PDA

View Full Version : Gate to bay: pilot required?

juliusg
9th Jul 2016, 16:00
Saw an SQ A330 power down at a remote bay at Mascot the other day - instead of being tugged there. My questions: (a) how often does the crew 'drive' the aircraft from the gate to the bay; and (b) when tugged, who is onboard?

Sunfish
9th Jul 2016, 22:14
from memory, many years ago, some LAMES had license to Taxi. not even sure they can do engine runs these days.

ACMS
10th Jul 2016, 03:14
a/ Almost never, Engineers tow the Jets as required.
b/ Driver in the Tug ( obviously !! ) and an approved person in the cockpit on the brakes if required in an emergency to stop the Jet.

Sunfish:----you must be joking surely? Of course they can do Engine runs!!

Engine runs with pax or crew on board require the CN to sit in a control seat.( not to run the Op but to look after any EVAC situation as it occurs )
If the ginger beers need to do an Engine run ( and they do often ) with no crew or pax on board then they obviously don't need a crew member present as they are big boys ( or girls ) and can do it on their own quite well :ok:

Sunfish
10th Jul 2016, 06:43
thank. you for the update ACMS, in my day LAMES indeed did engine runs ,however with the nanny state OH&S these days I wasn't sure if they were still allowed.

Aviater
11th Jul 2016, 05:34
Generally: -

Flight Deck operator
PIC - Person in Charge
Tug operator
Taxi Endorsement
Aircraft Marshaller

All of the above are company approvals that any LAME/AME can and do hold. There are a number of pre-requisites for each.

Taxi movements must have minimum x 2 approved LAMEs on the flight deck.

Tow approvals must utilize 1 of each of the above. No taxi endorsement required. PIC runs the whole show. Marhalling as required.

No requirement for flight crew for any engine runs unless you need a seat filled.

:)

ACMS
11th Jul 2016, 08:39
Sorry but if pax or crew are on board then the CN or designate must occupy a control seat.

Capn Bloggs
11th Jul 2016, 10:38
CAR 229 allows engos to taxi:

229 Aircraft not to be taxied except by pilot
(1) A person must not taxi an aircraft anywhere on an aerodrome if the person is not either a licensed pilot whose licence is endorsed for the particular type of aircraft concerned or a person approved by CASA in accordance with the terms and
conditions of the approval.

Aviater
12th Jul 2016, 04:50
Sorry but if pax or crew are on board then the CN or designate must occupy a control seat.

Can you quote the legislation behind that?

no_one
12th Jul 2016, 06:57
Capitan Bloggs,

I think that CAR 229 has been revised in recent times because the rule when it was written as you quoted had a major problem. It was an offence to taxi an aircraft on an aerodrome if you were not a pilot or an engo who had a taxi approval, but taxi it down an ALA and all was good.... :uhoh:

Capn Bloggs
12th Jul 2016, 09:25
No one, yes, it has. My boo boo. Same principle though. Part 64 mentions "aerodrome" though. Is an ALA an aerodrome? :confused:

ACMS
12th Jul 2016, 12:41
Aviator----Yes my Ops manual.

I don't care what yours says, if you can trust an Engineer to look after your 300 pax if it all goes pear shaped then go for it....

Aviater
13th Jul 2016, 06:01
Aviator----Yes my Ops manual.

That's what I thought. Your manuals may require this and others may not. Whilst everybody's procedures and manuals vary, the basic rules will almost always apply, as suggested in my original post.

Capt Fathom
13th Jul 2016, 07:25
So if it does go pear shaped, who is going to order an evacuation of the passengers in the absence of the flight crew?

ACMS
13th Jul 2016, 09:01
Exactly why, common sense and my employers Ops manual says I have to be present in a control seat during Engine runs with Pax on board.....it says if possible I should conduct these Engine runs.....

airdualbleedfault
14th Jul 2016, 09:11
Happy to be corrected but I've never heard of engineers being allowed to taxi a jet

TURIN
14th Jul 2016, 09:23
Happy to be corrected but I've never heard of engineers being allowed to taxi a jet

It used to be common practice but nowadays, insurance companies get a bit nervous and its also expensive to ensure that a LAME retains taxi currency on type. To be honest I would rather not have the responsibility unless i'm going to get paid extra for it.