PDA

View Full Version : ATC headsets in current use in the UK

Mooncrest
9th Jul 2016, 12:05
What make and model is preferred these days ? Is it still the Sennheiser HMD/HME range or the Airlite 100 ? Anybody still using old classics like the Airlite 62, Jetlite and Astrolite ?

crablab
11th Jul 2016, 16:44
I have a Sennheiser HME but I'm looking to upgrade to an ANR one.

Glamdring
11th Jul 2016, 17:34
Airlite 100s at Edinburgh.

Mooncrest
12th Jul 2016, 20:22
Thanks everyone.

orgASMic
16th Jul 2016, 20:44
The RAF is still using the Jetlite. Perhaps Programme MARSHALL will bring us into the 21st Century.

Mooncrest
19th Jul 2016, 09:20
What is programme MARSHALL ?

BTW I don't think the Jetlite really caught on. I know NATS and the MOD bought it in large numbers but it never had the stamina of the Astrolite, which seemed to have been used in British ATC for decades.

orgASMic
21st Jul 2016, 07:27
Programme MARSHALL is the replacement of ATM equipment (radios, radars, navaids, comms, displays, etc) across the MOD under a contract let to Aquila, who will install and maintain it all.

Mooncrest
24th Jul 2016, 07:29
Thanks orGASmic. An interesting project, I have no doubt.

Proletarian
4th Aug 2016, 18:18
If anyone would like a 'bespoke' cover for the ear pieces they can be found here:Headsets for Heroes (http://headsetcovers.co.uk)

Uplinker
6th Aug 2016, 02:51
Just like to say that in my experience; (Europe, USA, M East, India, Africa, Caribbean), UK ATC have the clearest transmissions (and best microphones). Before becoming a pilot I was a BBC engineer, and I despair at some other countries' ATC transmission quality !

Many have distorted transmissions and the trained ear can tell that their microphones are full of crud and spit. The transmissions are distorted and the noise cancellation has ceased to work, so you either barely make out what ATC is saying, or it sounds as if they are transmitting from the toilet or the works canteen !

North Western Europe is mostly all good, but the further East and South one goes, the worse it becomes.

What tests, if any, are performed to check microphone quality and performance in the Uk ?

Mooncrest
6th Aug 2016, 10:26
I don't know if ATC headsets undergo regular testing or servicing. I expect that is up to individual units. But I wouldn't mind betting that modern sets won't have the longevity of the older models. For example,I have an Astrolite on my desk which I've just cleaned and rebuilt. I admit I managed to destroy the microphone when prising it out of the boom but the set otherwise works perfectly and is tough, robust and the best part of forty years old. I'll be amazed if a modern Sennheiser or Airlite 100 is still around in 2056. Such is our throwaway society.

IIRC, BBC cameramen used to use Astrolites as well. And British Airways across many aircraft types.

Glamdring
6th Aug 2016, 19:13
Yep, I have to change mine roughly once per year due to wear and tear. Probably why they sound so good, they never get the chance to get filled with "crud and spit" ;)

Uplinker
7th Aug 2016, 14:50
Ah yes the Astrolite.

I remember my Dad having one of those - he was @ ATC West Drayton.

They never looked comfortable to me, but I've never used one.

Mooncrest
9th Aug 2016, 10:28
The Astrolite is quite comfy. It doesn't weigh much and has just enough retention force to stop it from falling off your head. Unlike the Airlite 62 (like a clamp around your ears) or a Plantronics Supra (too light and rather flimsy).

TelsBoy
9th Aug 2016, 12:02
What tests, if any, are performed to check microphone quality and performance in the Uk ?

None, as long as it works and Tx/Rx is 5x5 then no other checks are done. The radios on the other hand are maintained and checked (along with all other ATC equipment) as per CAP670.

Airlite 100s seem to be the most common sets, comfy on the head/ears and good sound but not the most durable.