PDA

View Full Version : EGLL as an alternate.

haughtney1
5th Jul 2016, 07:59
Question for EGLL ATC and Nats etc. My company have been filing flights into the UK to various points, and using LHR as a alternate. In my dim distant memory I seem to recall there was something in the AIP about this not being allowed...a little like the 20 mins of fuel needed when arriving in the London TMA etc.
Thoughts and info please :ok:

chevvron
5th Jul 2016, 14:03
You cannot just file a flight plan declaring an alternate as a UK airport and expect to be accepted there. Heathrow especially is very strict on accepting non - emergency diversions so you would be better off elsewhere and always notify your nominated diversion in advance.
Depending what type you fly, there are several places in the London area to divert to apart from Heathrow eg Luton, Stansted, Gatwick, Farnborough, Biggin Hill, Southend.

haughtney1
5th Jul 2016, 14:14
Thanks Chevron, yes I'm well aware of the issues you describe, but I'm trying to find or be directed too any official guidance that says as much. I recall there used to be a notam very similar to IST not accepting any diversions except in emergencies.
I'm coming at this as an operating captain that has to accept or reject the flight plan, diversion airfield etc.
:ok:

DaveReidUK
5th Jul 2016, 16:11
Thanks Chevron, yes I'm well aware of the issues you describe, but I'm trying to find or be directed too any official guidance that says as much.

From the AIP:

"Diversion Procedure – Airline and other operators are requested to resist filing London Heathrow as an alternate. However, where this is unavoidable, they are required to have made arrangements for ground handling with an airline from the appropriate terminal. It should be noted that during the night, ground handling facilities are very limited without prior arrangement. Nothing in this procedure shall, however, prevent an aircraft that has declared an emergency from landing."

Gonzo
5th Jul 2016, 18:53
Also you should (or your ops should) be aware that LHR often issues NOTAMs when exceptionally busy or disruptive periods are forecast declaring that LHR can not accept diversions.

haughtney1
6th Jul 2016, 11:09
Cheers guys, as ever PPrune to the rescue...