PDA

View Full Version : 3 years since my PPL-A, 1 more year to go - but what next?

rnzoli
2nd Jul 2016, 20:56
I have got my PPL-A /TMG on the oldie by goldie SF-25 motorglider 3 years ago, and been flying regularly ever since.
I spent the first year with solidifying my skills, landing, cross-country and a bit of gliding as well.
In the second year, I visited as many airfields within my range as possible, but started to notice that the old SF-25 is too slow for greater distances.
In the third year, I got my SEP class rating, and switched to fly DA-20 Diamond Katanas, got NVFR rating, flew at night, obtained ICAO English extention and crossed borders. I have about 160 total, 85 as PIC hours.

I have my sight on visiting airfields in the neighbouring countries and also learning the 4-seater DA-40 Diamond Star in the upcoming year, but I am afraid I am going to reach my ceiling there. With a yearly flying budget betwen 2000-3000 euros, multi-engine and instrument ratings don't look sustainable. Aerobatics too. I am also cautios with learning other types, I can't maintain proficiency levels in multiple types with 20-30 hours per year.

So a question for the more experienced ones: is there something else I could use as a personal goal on the 4+ year horizon?

PS. I summed up my "flying adventures" in the 6 min clip, it was definitely the best 3 years in my life! :)
A0y0ydGkj2Y

Maoraigh1
2nd Jul 2016, 21:23
I've been flying regularly for 29 years. I've been in a Jodel DR1050 Group for over 26 years. I've not had a target since Night and IMC, 1989. I fly to look at the landscape. I do it because I enjoy it. If you've found some kind of flying you enjoy - do that. With regular practice of essentials you don't normally do.

foxmoth
2nd Jul 2016, 22:44
multi-engine and instrument ratings don't look sustainable. Aerobatics too
Not sure why you think aeros are not sustainable - whilst aerobatic aircraft are more expensive to hire you tend to do shorter flights, and in a 20min aerobatic flight you will get more aircraft handling than in 5 hours x-country, and if you can afford a share in something like an RV you can do taildragger, aeros and fast cruising at a very decent hourly rate.

AdamFrisch
2nd Jul 2016, 23:53
Why not IFR? It's easily the most useful rating to have and can open up possibilities for travel and touring that can't be done VFR. It's a challenging rating, but that's also what makes it fun. Obviously, with only 3000 in budget per year, it would take perhaps a little longer than is good to do it, so I'd would see if you could somehow manage it in a year financially.

rnzoli
8th Jul 2016, 19:27
Thanks a lot for the ideas. I will check the currency requirements for both options (aeros and IR)
If all else fails, I can also enjoy the priviledges that I have now.