PDA

View Full Version : NG Overweight landing v Holding after a single engine condition

Pin Head
30th Jun 2016, 04:21
Hi

Just gauging opinion on the above.

Assuming a straightforward environment, Boeing overweight landing policy and no other factors. Aircraft above MLW have taken off at say 77T.

After a engine fire that was controlled, fire went out, How quickly would you want to get back on the ground. Would you hold to get below MLW or straight back on the deck? Or would the risk of what other damage the fire caused change your thinking process.

Also for a straight forward engine failure case. Same scenario.

Kind regards

Pin

Nightstop
30th Jun 2016, 05:29
I haven't flown the 73 for a long time but on my current type (a twin Airbus) the SOP is to land asap if single engine. There's no problem landing above MLW provided the landing distance required is calculated in advance and confirmed adequate for the selected runway. Engineering just have to do an overweight landing check later, a minor issue considering you've just shut down an engine :ooh:

Pin Head
30th Jun 2016, 05:51
Yes I agree but have just heard different things.

de facto
30th Jun 2016, 10:21
different things were not correct,Boeing is clear on that matter.
Do as Nightstop says.

de facto
30th Jun 2016, 10:53
Here,have a look at the link below,have found it in my files.
Happy reading.
AERO - Overweight Landing? Fuel Jettison? What To Consider (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/qtr_3_07/article_03_2.html)

Pin Head
30th Jun 2016, 13:50
Very good document that.

B737900er
2nd Jul 2016, 21:33
Boeing says land as soon as possible and an over weight is permitted, Landing distance will be the biggest factor in the case above. Minor factors to consider would be Brake cooling, runway inspection, if any engineering is available. Priority is to get the bird on the ground as soon as possible.

FlyingStone
3rd Jul 2016, 23:26
If you indeed have an engine fire (extinguished or not), an overweight landing check is the least of your problems. It takes roughly a day's work to change the engine, and about 2 hours to do the overweight landing check. Brake cooling also doesn't play any part, since you're not going anywhere without an engine swap.

It also comes down to risk vs. benefit. What is the benefit of holding for couple of hours to get from MTOW to MLW on single engine? The only thing I can think of is to avoid overweight landing inspection and maybe to save the brakes a bit. The risks are more clear - you're flying the aircraft on its last remaining operative engine.

I'd say if you don't have a problem with the landing distance (including margin), personally I would land overweight after doing all the appropriate steps - NNC, decision making, NITS, etc.

Piltdown Man
8th Jul 2016, 22:36
The big question is, what do you want to do? You are now flying on one engine and data that shows you can land safely. What do you really want to do? How simple can it be?

PM

B737900er
10th Jul 2016, 11:17
If its an inflight shut down I would consider holding until max landing weight. But, if its due to unforeseen circumstances i.e fire, severe damage then if performance allows get it on the ground.

Wageslave
10th Jul 2016, 21:38
B737900er If its an inflight shut down I would consider holding until max landing weight. But, if its due to unforeseen circumstances i.e fire, severe damage then if performance allows get it on the ground.

But why?

As there is no safety implication in landing overweight (there isn't in an NG, it's merely a matter of a couple of hours of procedural engineering inspection) why accept the demonstrable hazard not only of extended flying s/e but also risking a repeat of some unknown cause of the original shutdown? That's daft.

The advice to land ASAP is there for a reason.

B737900er
11th Jul 2016, 12:02
Well, I would like to stay on the runway at the end of the day and being heavy could hinder that especially if its tight to land there at max weight anyway.

My point is there are other factors to consider in making such a decision. Landing straight after without considering these factors could get you into a bigger mess. As I said in previous comments landing ASAP is the priority.

Tom!
11th Jul 2016, 21:11
Well, I would like to stay on the runway at the end of the day and being heavy could hinder that especially if its tight to land there at max weight anyway.
Personally i would never hold to reduce below MLW, quick glance at the QRH says for 65T at max manual only 1020m required, so I wouldn't worry about going off the end, even at 77T. The overweight landing inspection is nothing special. QRH says land at nearest suitable for a reason.