PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel differences training

V2S
26th Jun 2016, 14:35
Hi Chaps,

I got 47 hours Chipmunk 'back in the day' but have now an EASA PPL with night. Will my Chippy time from 20 years ago get me an automatic tailwheel rating on my licence?

stevelup
27th Jun 2016, 12:44
There is no tailwheel rating and it doesn't go on your licence.

What you do is differences training and an instructor signs your logbook.

Because you have P1 tailwheel experience from prior to the time the differences training became needed, you don't need to do this.

V2S
27th Jun 2016, 13:55
Thanks Steve, I'm happy with that!

Flyingmac
28th Jun 2016, 07:10
I had a long break from tailwheel flying. When I bought my current (tailwheel) aircraft, my insurance provider required some dual refresher training, including 15 landings. All done in a day though.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Jun 2016, 12:45
With only 45 hours TW time and a break since last TW flight, some refresher training would be a good idea.

9 lives
29th Jun 2016, 18:26
I certainly agree with SSD on this one, taildragger flying is a perishable skill. 15 recent landings is a bare minimum to be current. Your prior experience is a nice to have, but not a substitute for recency.

rusty sparrow
29th Jun 2016, 19:39
Contact the LAA and use one of their coaches - you will get top notch support from people who love flying. I used them for my tailwheel conversion.

foxmoth
29th Jun 2016, 22:09
Read the post - he has already done it!

rusty sparrow
30th Jun 2016, 10:00
'Read the post - he has already done it!'

Yeah - I did read the post. Doesn't change my opinion that a refresher flight from the LAA is a good deal.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jun 2016, 20:54
I *thought* that differences training, such as tailwheel differences basically needed resetting with an instructor if not used within the last 2 years.

Checking before posting I looked at CAP804 - and the wording seems rather ambiguous, so if the wording's not clearcut, it's probably not enforceable as mandatory.

But, it could reasonably be said to be a damned good idea!

G

blueandwhite
30th Jun 2016, 21:06
I didn't use a wobbly prop for 15 years.
First I used a variable pitch prop. One flight and I felt good to go on a CS unit. Being legal I did as I felt and 18 months later it has been no problem.

Of course the skill needed for a tailwheel are very different, and much more perishable. But depending on the pilot and the aircraft the level of recency needed may vary considerably.