PDA

View Full Version : RAF Publications!

ATR43
26th Jun 2016, 11:03
I have over many years collected a number of RAF Air Publications (AP's) and whilst in some cases have learned some interesting details have also enjoyed them for general reading and reference. The first one I acquired was a war time copy of AP1234 the Navigation manual and later the Flying manuals AP129 Vol 1 & 2. These were later combined with AP1234 to become several volumes of AP3456.

In addition I also have an interesting soft back pamphlet type publication entitled "Instrument Flying" namely AM Pamphlet 208

Anybody discovered any others of interest?

chevvron
26th Jun 2016, 12:24
They do 2 guides which are regularly updated:
Minor Airfields - similar to Pooleys.
En-Route Supplement British Isles and North Atlantic (aka BINA) - gives greater detail than Minor Airfields and covers UK/Eire, Portugal and Newfoundland.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jun 2016, 15:33
I think I'd have to dig in the library for access to a copy, but AvP970 was an absolute gem of information for aeronautical engineers: many years of expertise went into all the detail about how to ensure safe and workable aircraft designs. Replaced years ago by Def-Stan 00-970 which unfortunately dropped a lot of the really useful engineering stuff.

G

GipsyMagpie
28th Jun 2016, 20:39
They do 2 guides which are regularly updated:
Minor Airfields - similar to Pooleys.
En-Route Supplement British Isles and North Atlantic (aka BINA) - gives greater detail than Minor Airfields and covers UK/Eire, Portugal and Newfoundland.

Minor aerodromes misses out lots of detailed circuit and noise abatement info. Good as a starting point though. The BINA is handy in flight guide but all the info is in the AIP of respective country. BINA needs to read alongside a flight information handbook although lots of is military specific. For general stuff the freely available FAA manuals and handbooks have loads of free good gen.