PDA

View Full Version : Quandaries on letting my Medical Certificate Lapse

areutheman
25th Jun 2016, 04:09
Long story short I was given a one year certification in 2014 due to some therapy i had in high school. FAA told me to renew it last November, but I was in school and didnt have the money to renew so i let it lapse. Im starting school for A&P soon and would like to have my medical on my resume.
My questions are how hard is it to renew after letting one lapse, and given a broad description of my circumstance should I expect a lot of resistance from the FAA on getting renewal?
Thanks so much!

Intruder
25th Jun 2016, 11:34
It's impossible for someone here to tell you. Your AME will have to review your record and tell you whether the past problems will cause future problems with renewal.

Bring ALL your relevant records if you go to a new AME! If you go to the same AME, call him and ask if he will need anything extra from you before the exam. Do NOT try to avoid the issue on the MedXpress application - it will only cause bigger problems later.

Recent FAA reforms have increased the number of situations where AMEs can issue the certificate after an initial waiver is granted. You may be lucky...

aterpster
25th Jun 2016, 13:14
The FAA never cares whether you renew a medical. It's not like letting a CFI certificate lapse. But, when you do renew there can't be any lapse in your medical history since your last application.