PDA

View Full Version : Accelerated PPL training

laurentcarlisle
24th Jun 2016, 18:32
Hi,

At Pilotage Évolution in Gatineau, they offer an intensive PPL program this summer.

I'm 28, always wanted to fly for pleasure or as a career and I have the opportunity to do my PPL training within 10 weeks .

Do you think it's doable or realistic

Thanks,

clunckdriver
25th Jun 2016, 13:37
Do your due diligence before committing to this!

+TSRA
25th Jun 2016, 15:28
Hi there,

I earned my PPL over 8 weeks with the Air Cadets. It is certainly "doable," but takes a huge commitment as clunkdriver alluded to.

Here was our schedule that allowed us to do this (with minor variations in the case of cross-country flights):

0600 - Reville
0615 - PT (3 mile run) - for fun, not part of the program schedule
0730 - Breakfast
0800 - 1145 - Ground School
1200 - 1245 - Lunch
1300 - 1400 - Pre-Flight Briefing
1400 - 1530 - Flight Lesson
1530 - 1630 - Post Flight De-Brief
1700 - 1800 - Dinner
1830 - 2100 - Free Time (Study Time)

That was our schedule Monday to Friday. Saturday was set aside as a clean-up and weather day in case things got missed during the week. There were also two full days of ground school: one prior to the PSTAR and one prior to the PPL Exam. Some of the guys and gals were reversed (flying in the morning, ground school in the afternoon), but you get the gist.

Sunday was always a "day off," but most of us used it as a communal study time.

If you think the above schedule is realistic for 8 to 10 weeks, then yes it's doable. But take note that you won't have time to see your family and you'll have to take all that time off work. Plus, most of us had taken some form of Ground School for at least 2 years prior as part of the scholarship requirement and some had Glider licenses, so the ground school was not "new."

It'll be a challenge for sure if you don't have any aviation experience, but well worth it!

9 lives
30th Jun 2016, 11:42
Intense programs are a means to an end. That's not a negative thing to say, I applaud the very effective air cadet, and similar programs. If the "end" is to have a PPL in a short period of time, then it's a good thing. However, earning your PPL for your own recreational reasons should not be an "end", it's a step. If you don't need to rush to that step, take more time, and enjoy getting there!

An element of the intense air cadet schedule is military discipline (lots of schedule directed at you). In a non military environment, you might not need that overlaid to an activity you may intend as recreational.

The next thing to consider will be what you will do post PPL, obviously keeping flying regularly will be ideal. Your regular flying may be less easy if you've over indulged and tired yourself both being in the air, and paying for it - no matter how much fun something is, you still need a break, or it becomes less fun.

Consider planning how you will steadily get yourself from zero to 250 hours piloting time, with a PPL along the way. Probably the only real difference you will find for your post PPL flying is that you can take passengers, and cross the border. Neither of those are as important as simply keeping flying, and building your skills consistently.

Many thousands of us earned our flying experience an hour or two a week over a long period, and were awarded permits, licenses and ratings along the way - while enjoying life!