PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles

Fool's Hole
29th Jun 2002, 08:36
"Airline - ITV"

What are easyJet up to?
They didn't allow a passenger to take a bottle of champers on board due to - get this - "PRESSURISATION!"

This is about as bad as it can get. Untrained rude people at check in, make their own rules as they stumble along. No knowledge of aviation whatsoever, makes me scream.

Haven't these people heard of style and proper service. Take for instance British Airways. Champagne galore on board, in flight.

Part of their training should include at least one flight on a world class airline, just to sample what's available as an alternative to cheap and nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

expedite_climb
29th Jun 2002, 11:05
Oh no, this is for safety reasons. It is true that if you took a bottle of champers on board a flight it would explode due to the low air pressure, it is also for this reason that human beings are not allowed to fly on airliners.

swashplate
29th Jun 2002, 21:56
Yeah, aisleman, that gets my vote!!!!

Its just the same tired old crap, week after week.... :mad:

And, revamped 'Airport' seems to be much the same....... :rolleyes:

Goforfun
30th Jun 2002, 15:14
Pathetic it was! Who was the know all walking saying they could not take it on??

What a joke........ easyJet.

......."dont you know I am a jorno?"............ should have got slap IMHO! :cool:

Kalium Chloride
30th Jun 2002, 16:09
How do airlines get their own champage on board anyway? :D

arcniz
30th Jun 2002, 17:40
I wouldn't buy the following line, but, if any oft-maligned security folks are reading, it might be worth a try:

Airplanes are special. Cabin pressures at altitude are lower than all but the pointier places on the planet. Champagne bottles are known to explode in the caves of French wineries - at sea level - for no reason at all - attributed to hidden flaws. So...with enough tries, one can undoubtedly find a commecially obtainable flagon of bubbly that will unexpectedly disassemble itself in flight.

Undoubtedly the s.o.p. bubbly used on the airlines is purchased with this in mind - probably verified by a Champagne test lab tucked into some happy corner of the Alps.

Of course, there are some darker possibilities as well. Perhaps the era of the hip-flask, etc is going out for good.

Konkordski
1st Jul 2002, 08:59
Pressure's a dodgy thing. I once had a jumbo bag of Doritos explode in mid-flight.

professor yaffle
1st Jul 2002, 09:04
i thought that champagne had in flight was 'specially made - last time i had a drop of bubbly in flight was a bottle of piper which came with a screw top - feel free to correct me if i am wrong!!

prof

outofsynch
1st Jul 2002, 10:10
It was pathetic, and very embarrassing for easyjet to have a duty manager who was so illinformed. Unfortunaely staff turnover in many airlines, causes very inexperienced people to take senior positions with little or no aviation awareness training.

Unfortunaetly too, I have seen checkin staff reduced cylcists to tears, telling them they have to deflate their tyres before checking in said bike, meaning the poor cyclist has to push the bike at the destination.

Notice: all pilots must ask engineers to deflate aircraft tyres before flight!

BN2A
1st Jul 2002, 10:26
Why not get the bottle in the duty free shop AFTER check-in...
Then nobody will know...
:confused: :confused: :confused:

tailscrape
1st Jul 2002, 11:10
Kalium,

Don't you know? B.A, BMI et al have whole teams of Champagne smugglers at Heathrow to surreptitiously place exploding bottles of Champagne on Aircraft.

Also, I think you will find it is a criminal offence to have bottled sparkling water on board too.

Good old easyJet.

Peanuts and Monkeys springs to mind.......

pilotwolf
1st Jul 2002, 11:27
On a similar thread when I went to the USA, via Canada with a certain airline which has a Maple Leaf on it's tail, enroute to my honeymoon I spoke to the nice lady at their UK olffice to arrange flowers and champagne on board for my new wife.... ;)

...Don't do flowers sir, but champagne no problem. £**.** duely paid by cheque as they don't acccept cards. Look forward to wife's eye lighting up. ;) (And grateful thanks on how romantic I am) :D

BUT, 4 hours into the flight and still no champagne, so I approach very miserable FA and she returns about 10 minutes later with the comment she didn't know who it was for - despite being clearly labelled with our name.

When I asked for glasses I got told that we couldn't open it on board!
Reasons given - safety: dangerous opening cork! We might get unacceptablely drunk! Too dangerous to have an open bottle in an exit row!

Oh and it would be in breach of customs regulations!

Thats another Transalantic airline I shan'y be flying with again!

:confused: :mad: :confused:

autobrake3
1st Jul 2002, 12:03
Take one tub of yoghurt whilst at cruising altitude, aim the top at the guy (or even better girl sitting next to you) and pull the top, excellent ! :)

Griffbms
1st Jul 2002, 13:25
Yes all companies have their good and bad bits too, however when you see and hear both from within the Industry and on a more public level too, what 'sleazy' represents (!),you can't help but wonder how much else in the 'land of orange' is a travesty too!

I feel so very sorry for the folks at Go with the impending demise of their brand, and erosion levels of their service levels and professionalism....a great shame !

Groundhog Night
1st Jul 2002, 14:10
GriffBms

I hear the GO people are happy with their rosters , boy are they in for a shock!!!:eek:

Bus429
1st Jul 2002, 16:19
In a similar vein, did you know it is not illegal to consume your own alcohol on a board a UK registered aircraft? Other than duty free considerations, an airline has no right to prevent you from cracking your own beer. Cabin staff may get miffed because of loss of commission but they cannot stop you. All that will stop you is a creative interpretation of the ANO stipulation that you must not be drunk on board a UK registered/operated aircraft. You could be caught for not obeying a reasonable command from the aircraft's captain.

Bottoms up!

Jetdriver
1st Jul 2002, 20:52
Not strictly true !

As aircrew have a duty to control the amount of alcohol consumed, they have a right to instruct a passenger not to consume alcohol from the pasengers own bottle/can.

Passengers are carried in accordance with the "general conditions of carriage". The ticket or booking contract makes them a party to that condition.

If it is the Airlines policy that only alcohol served by the cabin crew may be consumed then that forms part of the contract.