PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with a PPL?

Coke611
29th Jun 2002, 06:24
Just wondering - If i'm going to shell out all this money for a PPL - what do you guys do with it once you have got the license?

Cheers,

Coke611

mikegreatrex
29th Jun 2002, 06:31
If you have to ask the question, maybe you need to reappraise your desire! For me, flying was a childhood desire, which 32 years later I am almost about to realise.

I am looking forward to the obligatory "take the family up" and go nowhere scenario, and the fly down to the coast for a day, but above all holidays abroad take on a whole new twist with a PPL.

If you love flying, that should be all the justification you need.

Charlie Zulu
29th Jun 2002, 08:49
Hi Coke611,

What do I do with my PPL?

Well within the last four years (nearly) that I have held one I have flown friends and family around the local area, cross countries and to France/Ireland for day trips.

I have flown around Florida, Bahamas and twice around California, Nevada, Arizona and other western states. I have visited my Uncle and Auntie in Sacramento.

I have flown from L.A. to the Grand Canyon, seen the Meteor Crater near Sedona and flown over L.A. at night, all within a day.

Looking forward to fly some basic aerobatics one day soon.

My goal is to become a commercial pilot but while this is a major factor in obtaining a PPL, I am enjoying and love every minute of taking to the air.

Whatever you decide to use your PPL, ensure you have fun, safe flying. Good luck. :)

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.
G-AZCZ / Cardiff

camaro
30th Jun 2002, 10:17
Coke

There are loads of things you can do with a PPL....the sky's the limit! (pun intended):D

Instead of just pottering about the local area with your family and friends, why not arrange to take them out somewhere. Lunch at another airfield or even in France is a nice way of saying thanks for puuting up with your obsession!:)
A trip to one of the museums (eg Duxford, Old Warden) is another alternative.

If touring is not your style there is always aerobatics, air racing, precision flying, navigation competitions...the list goes on.

Get to know the other pilots at your airfield, see what they get up to and accept every offer of a whiz round so you can experience different aircraft types.

Stick with it mate....you'll find something that turns you on.

Blue skies and soft landings.

Camaro.:cool:

28thJuly2001
30th Jun 2002, 17:06
Agree with Mike,
If you need to ask maybe you shouldnt be doing it .
I get as much joy out of half hour of ciruits as I do flying 150 miles to Great Dumpling International Airport. The sense of achievment touching down at the end of a flight cannot be described.
Think very carefully before shelling out the best part of 6 grand whether your doing it for the love of flying or to impress your mates.
Walt,,