PDA

View Full Version : VW engine overhaul

abgd
21st Jun 2016, 05:37
Who would be best to overhaul a VW engine (1500/1600cc) in a homebuilt, that has about 1000 hours on the clock and that I fret may have had an undisclosed prop-strike with a previous owner? How much would I expect it to cost?

DeltaV
21st Jun 2016, 08:09
You're in the Wild West which might mean Devon or it might mean the Hebrides. If the former there is Jon French at Staverton or if the Hebrides, John Maher, Isle of Harris.

Who's best? I'd say probably the latter. There will be others, I'm sure.

Cost? Who knows, and it'll probably depend on how much work is required, but you're probably looking at two - three grand as a minimum.

I'm presuming your prop is wood so on that assumption I'd guess the crank is OK, but as a starter you could put a dial gauge on the prop hub front face at it's diameter and check runout.
Runout numbers for the Rectimo VW conversion are:
Greater than 0.09 mm, replace the prop hub.
Re-measure the run-out and if still higher than 0.04 mm, then the crank is suspect and should be checked.

mothminor
21st Jun 2016, 12:06
Who is best - yourself, it is not rocket science and you might actually enjoy it.:)

Get a Haynes workshop manual. It will give the limits and torque settings.
Locate a LAA inspector and talk through the overhaul with him.
All spares are available and when you have finished you will know your engine and be able to do all your permit renewals etc.

There are plenty of LAA members willing to help if required.
You could "farm out" items like the the mag if required.
The idea of operating an aeroplane on a LAA permit is to get away from expensive repairs/overhauls.

PA28181
21st Jun 2016, 12:44
A friend has recently had his project VW Beetle engine fully overhauled by a race car company near Lingfield at a cost of about £800, whether this would be acceptable for aviation use no idea but when he returns from Africa shortly I could let you know the company if interested.

abgd
22nd Jun 2016, 06:00
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually in Wales, but expected to travel. I'll try the dial indicator at the first instance.

DeltaV
22nd Jun 2016, 06:44
I actually agree with mothminor about doing it yourself both for reasons of cost and, more significantly, for the confidence it will give you in knowing your own motor. However, we're all different and that approach is perhaps not right for everyone.

Since you have a niggling worry about a possible prop strike I'd guess that the (perceived) symptoms you're fretting about are quite subtle, which in itself suggests to me that there is no major damage to be rectified, if there's any at all. The V-dub is a pretty robust engine.

If, after a runout check, you decide to renew the prop hub you will have to understand how to get that off, but it will almost certainly be pull-able without splitting the crankcase.

abgd
22nd Jun 2016, 17:56
I'd like to do it myself, but would need a degree of supervision - it's not that I'm not mechanically minded. It's just that this is the first internal combustion engine I've ever owned. Never had a car. Never had a glow plug engine. I suppose I launched some ESTES rockets when I was small. And whilst I could almost doubtless take it apart and put it together again, I'm not sure how I'd go about inspecting the parts.

I've had the mags overhauled already - shame they both needed it at the same time, or else I'd have had a shot.

I'm also considering taking the previous owner to small claims court - I can prove he made some untrue claims when he sold it, and I've found an internet post where he was looking for a new prop and cowling. I suspect the cowlings are original judging by the paint. But as he can't be honest in other things, I'd quite like to request he pay for it to be inspected but I don't know how much.

I've already put in about 15 hours on it, and I know it's done about 5 more. So yes, it is a niggle. Especially as there is that debate about whether a wooden prop protects the engine or not.

The Flying Pram
22nd Jun 2016, 18:05
I'd like to do it myself, but would need a degree of supervisionWhich the LAA (or an experienced member) would be able to supply! In any event, the LAA inspector would want to see the engine at various stages of the overhaul process if you were carrying the work out yourself.

TFP