PDA

View Full Version : Broadford Skye airfield status

piperboy84
20th Jun 2016, 21:25
Anyone know if this field is still in use, I landed there a couple if years ago, was wanting to use it again, Wikipedia says it's been used recently for storing wind turbines.

aligee
20th Jun 2016, 23:17
Mike wood was based there with g-jsky (c42) at Skye microlight training.The website is still up and running.Try Kate Wood on 0141833259 or 07864008517 and hopefully they can update you on the airfield.

piperboy84
20th Jun 2016, 23:42
Thank u sir

fisbangwollop
21st Jun 2016, 08:12
Give Dave West a call at Loch Lomond seaplanes. He is operating his C208 in and out of there on a frequent basis.

gasax
21st Jun 2016, 09:49
You could always try the official channel - Area TECS Manager - from whom you are supposed to get PPR, 01478 612727

Maoraigh1
21st Jun 2016, 19:40
I flew in there this year. Contact the Highland Council for PPR. 01478 614867. I just checked that on the web page. Much more expensive than Plockton, but the toilet is now always open

Aircraft use of the aerodrome | Isle of Skye aerodrome | The Highland Council (http://www.highland.gov.uk/info/1526/public_and_community_transport/113/isle_of_skye_aerodrome/3)

The Flying Pram
22nd Jun 2016, 18:21
The aerodrome is approximately 3 miles north of the Skye BridgeI suggest someone at The Highland Council (http://www.highland.gov.uk/info/1526/public_and_community_transport/113/isle_of_skye_aerodrome) does a bit of navigation training!

Any pilot intending to land in that location will need floats...

Maoraigh1
23rd Jun 2016, 07:37
You must be a GPS magenta line follower. Standard IFR approach - I Follow A87 for about 3 miles north of the Skye Bridge.

NorthSouth
23rd Jun 2016, 11:51
Round about Balmacara then :hmm:

DeltaV
23rd Jun 2016, 13:08
You must be a GPS magenta line follower. Standard IFR approach - I Follow A87 for about 3 miles north of the Skye Bridge.
Time to try 'North up', maybe? ;)

FullWings
25th Jun 2016, 19:21
Lovely little airfield. Flew a glider out there a few years ago and it was stunning.

piperboy84
25th Jun 2016, 21:42
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I won't be making this trip, or any trip for that matter. I crashed my beloved Maule into an Aberdeenshire hillside Thursday night. No injuries for my passenger or myself fortunately, but my pride and joy that I've spent 600 of the best hours of my life touring ever nook and cranny of the U.K. and Western Europe is a total write off . Broke my heart today taking the wings off and loading the wrecked fuselage and gathering up the landing gear onto a trailer with a forklift on a windswept hill in the middle of nowhere in the pissing rain. Bad day, mad at myself but again thankful no injuries. The emergency services, cops,fire and ambulance personnel and the guys that monitored and responded to my ELT signal were first class.

Tomorrow's another day.

maxred
25th Jun 2016, 22:43
Really sorry to hear that. At least you and your passenger appear to be ok. All that really matters..

aligee
25th Jun 2016, 23:32
So sorry to hear about your accident mate,but as Maxred said,to walk away without injury is the result we all want to hear.Any incident we are involved in we tend to analyse and play it over in our heads time and time again but accidents and incidents are risks we take every time we fly.Your skills as a pilot have enabled 2 of you to walk away and the loss of an aircraft hurts but that can be overcome.��

The Ancient Geek
26th Jun 2016, 08:50
How did that happen?.
What can we learn from your unlucky experience.

piperboy84
26th Jun 2016, 10:06
How did that happen?.
What can we learn from your unlucky experience.

Once I've dealt with all the paperwork, AAIB etc and get my head around it I'll break it down for you. Still in disbelief really.

dublinpilot
26th Jun 2016, 19:10
Sorry to hear that PB.

Glad that no-one is hurt. The insurance can hopefully deal with the rest.

NorthSouth
26th Jun 2016, 19:57
Very sorry to hear about your accident but it's a relief to hear that you both walked away from it. A happy contrast to so many of the threads on this forum. Well done and may your good fortune continue
NS

piperboy84
29th Jun 2016, 19:01
Thanks for all the kind words. An update: insurance adjuster guy came over to see the plane, just before he arrived I got a call from the farmer who owns the field I crashed in , he says 7 of the 33 pedigree cows he had in the field have died of lead poisoning and his vet is considering condemning the entire 33 to take them out of the food chain. He says they are valued at £6k a head. I'm a tad suspicious but that's the way I am. They adjuster deems the Maule a total loss so I get the insured hull value. Never a dull moment

The Ancient Geek
29th Jun 2016, 23:24
I would ask for a second independant vetinary opinion on th cause of death
In general lead poisoning is a very slow process unless the lead is travelling very fast so I call bullsh*t.

This is a matter for the insurance company of course.

Maoraigh1
30th Jun 2016, 07:14
What was the source of the lead? Avgas leak? Battery? Or did they eat your fabric - apparently a favoured food for cattle. Unlikely to contain lead, but might poison or otherwise affect intestine.

DeltaV
30th Jun 2016, 16:35
Crikey! Did you give them both barrels on the way down?
Sounds like you, or your insurance company, is being asked to pay a second farm subsidy.

Jan Olieslagers
30th Jun 2016, 17:15
That farmer seems to run a serious risk of prosecution for insurance fraud, indeed.

@PB84: my sympathy!

India Four Two
30th Jun 2016, 17:23
PB,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you are both OK.

In general lead poisoning is a very slow process unless the lead is travelling very fast ...

AG,

Best line I've read for a long time! :ok:

airpolice
30th Jun 2016, 18:05
GB Cow & Heifer Prices (http://dairy.ahdb.org.uk/market-information/farm-expenses/cow-heifer-prices/gb-cow-heifer-prices/#.V3VdXPkrJaQ)

Yer farmer must be on drugs!

Maybe £6,500 for all seven that have died so far.

maxred
30th Jun 2016, 19:20
Yer farmer must be on drugs!

Maybe £6,500 for all seven that have died so far.

Brilliant. Farmers are as trustworthy as your average Westminster politician...

piperboy84
30th Jun 2016, 19:58
Maxred, funny you say that, I've noticed a new breed of farmer in these parts recently , usually mid twenties early thirties who have had a several million pound farming asset handed over to them from family, they actually believe they are clever and have somehow earned it and act like everybody else is a stupid bastard, there arrogance, lack of business acumen normally ends in them hitting the skids with the banks and resorting to insurance and other scams. I could read this guy like a book. He's now seriously back peddling and miracle of miracles he's now saying he has separated the healthy ones from the "others" (he means the dead ones I presume) the insurance have told him they have appointed a vet who needs to meet his vet to review the blood/tox results from the "dead" cows he's stalling on turning over his vets contact info or allowing a site visit. Says he's busy shearing sheep !!!

Edited to add: I haven't mentioned to him yet the fuel in the tanks was Shell's finest unleaded and the battery which is still in good working order with no cracks is a gelcel. Let him keep digging for a while.

maxred
30th Jun 2016, 20:44
Report him to local PLOD for fraud. After the vet report decrees they drank contaminated hill water, then you can have him........

airpolice
30th Jun 2016, 21:44
No matter what happens, I doubt that the Police or the Fiscal's Office will give a ****. Even if they do, a prosecution, even successful, will be of little impact.

However, telling his insurers that he tried to ram it up your insurers, well, now, then, now then, now then, as Lord Melchett would say.

He might be in a bigger pile of **** than he has on his farm.

You can't take away his liberty, because you can't put him in the jail. But you can make his eyes water by doing to him, exactly what the has tried to do to you. You, and his insurers will be able to make him pay, literally, for trying it on.

They, of course will not punish him on your behalf, but for themselves. He was trying to have them over and make them try to recover that from you, and in turn from the rest of us, who may or may not be likely to end up in a field.

I'm actually just as keen to hear how this plays out as I am to follow The Ancient Geek's line of enquiry.

piperboy84
1st Jul 2016, 20:04
I've been advised by the farmer that he and his vet (imaginary I suspect) have had a rethink and have decided it wasn't lead poisoning that killed his cattle, and have now diagnosed it as either a lightening strike or stress.As there hasn't been any lightening of late and I doubt the cattle suffered apparently fatal physiological levels of stress witnessing my crash the farmer has conceded I am not liable for his alleged fatalities. He has however said he has had to move the cattle from the field into another that will now prevent him from harvesting silage from it so he wants compensated for 22 acres of silage.

Some peoples kids huh !!

Edit to add: when I told the insurance adjuster the new diagnoses he pissed himself laughing.

airpolice
1st Jul 2016, 20:12
Put the Farmer's details on here and we can all write to him and tell him; to do one!

piperboy84
2nd Jul 2016, 11:53
Ever slow down to have a look at the crash on the opposite side of the highway when you know you really shouldn't ? Well here ya go you rubber necking bar stewards !

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsUqLYgbkd8emTmJBVo5LsdxvL-6

The Ancient Geek
2nd Jul 2016, 14:37
Thats an eeek short field between the fence and the embankment.

piperboy84
2nd Jul 2016, 15:00
That ain't an embankment, it's a dung midden, a nice big soft pile of **** thank god. Had to keep the car windows open on the ride home.

maxred
2nd Jul 2016, 15:55
Thats going to be an exciting story:cool:

Last one I saw positioned like that, and witnessed the event in glorious technicolour, was the AA5 at Bute..

piperboy84
4th Jul 2016, 14:01
Friggin press finally caught on

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeenshire/964638/pictures-plane-crashed-north-east-field/

piperboy84
4th Jul 2016, 21:09
Replacement getting loaded in the container after the yanks get done celebrating the day we gave away the colonies.

ETOPS
5th Jul 2016, 06:40
Nice to have a spare "lying around" at this difficult time.

But seriously - we are all interested as to what happened....weather, engine failure?

piperboy84
5th Jul 2016, 14:24
Sincerely hope its not an anal one !

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/probe-launched-after-plane-crash/

India Four Two
5th Jul 2016, 16:23
Well of course they would launch a probe. Someone at the CAA thinks the M-5 Strata Rocket is a spacecraft! ;)

piperboy84
5th Jul 2016, 16:50
Please, I'm begging you guys, don't make me have to call Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen. should the spinner be painted black or yellow?

Jan Olieslagers
5th Jul 2016, 17:32
Consider black and yellow spiralling? No, but seriously?
Perhaps it could be done with adhesive tape - to get it painted would be a hell of a job.

Above all, I do agree there is room for improvement over the current white, not to say "need for improvement".

patowalker
5th Jul 2016, 17:38
Black.

NB Since that message was too short, I am adding this. :confused:

Maoraigh1
5th Jul 2016, 21:25
Red? Why restrict to yellow and black?

India Four Two
6th Jul 2016, 04:58
I see the spinner before your previous 'prang' was chrome plated.

If you can't have it plated. then I think black would be best.

DeltaV
6th Jul 2016, 05:56
I'm not going to tell until you give an account of your prang as you promised back in post #16.

The Ancient Geek
6th Jul 2016, 08:37
It might not be a good idea so say anything in public while the insurance and the CAA are involved.

piperboy84
6th Jul 2016, 14:37
Consider black and yellow spiralling? No, but seriously?

Think you may be onto something there, quite like the sound of that.

Was thinking about this for the tail.

fisbangwollop
6th Jul 2016, 16:24
I reckon a bee would be great seeing you have had a nasty sting already!.......seriously though, my self and my colleuges at "Scottish Information" wish you all the best and look forward to hearing your dulcet tones on 119.875 again soon. �� Paul.

piperboy84
6th Jul 2016, 22:18
Thanks Paul,

Got the kid to fake up he pics to give me an idea what each colour would look like.

4Screwaircrew
7th Jul 2016, 06:11
I'd go with the black if sticking to a single colour, or black with a yellow spiral.

Small Rodent Driver
7th Jul 2016, 16:25
How about chrome?

Assuming that is that it's a metal spinner.

piperboy84
7th Jul 2016, 16:48
The old one was chrome , the new one is Kevlar

Small Rodent Driver
7th Jul 2016, 17:00

Carbon look then.

All the go in Wigan.

piperboy84
7th Jul 2016, 17:45
Here's what the MT factory guys says:

"Duncan, The prop looks great...I agree the spinner should be painted a different color. The spinner dome is simple Kevlar painted with basic enamel...just like the Krylon at Ace Hardware. You may paint it yourself or take it to a auto body shop and have them shoot it with enamel if preferred."

maxred
7th Jul 2016, 20:56

Ahh, austerity, don't you just love it...

The Ancient Geek
7th Jul 2016, 23:53
Stronger, plus a few kilos off the empty weight which means more available load.
Whats not to like.

India Four Two
8th Jul 2016, 17:07
AG,

I was sufficiently intrigued by your "few kilos" comment, to check a 182 POH that I have. The spinner weighs 3 lb.

So PB84 may have a slightly lighter spinner, but he now has an extra propeller blade and the CS mechanism hanging out there on the end of the crankshaft.

I would bet that the empty weight has gone up and the CG has moved forward. ;)

piperboy84
8th Jul 2016, 17:56
You'd lose that bet !!!

The original prop was a 76 Hartzell CSP which with the spinner is 10lbs heavier than the 3 blade MTV with spinner that's installed now.

The performance numbers are probably bull****, but they can't mistate the weights.

quilmes
8th Jul 2016, 22:28
Hopefully at a slight distance it's OK to be flippant ?

Does you log book show the flight destination along the lines of;

Sharny Dubs
Troubled Dykes
Guise of Tough
by Muir of Fowlis
Aberdeenshire

Separately,
the 'related news' on your Evening Express page make pretty
grim reading. Could you maybe tell me some lottery numbers?
That said, the P&J is much calmer.

Orrabest for the coming months getting the yellow pearl GB operational.
(Hopefully flying over the West End sometime this Summer - plenty of glide clear,
it's the dear green place after all).

Maoraigh1
11th Jul 2016, 19:37
You did notify the US authorities, as it's N, didn't you? Nothing so far on NTSB - usually just a mention, as foreign investigation.

piperboy84
11th Jul 2016, 21:34
You did notify the US authorities, as it's N, didn't you? Nothing so far on NTSB - usually just a mention, as foreign investigation.

No I haven't I figured the AAIB have got it handled , doing a "investigation by correspondence" with them

Edit to add: just called a mate in the LA FSDO he transferred me over to joint FAA/ NTSB group in Seattle , the guy took the N number is going to send me an email with a few questions to get the incident in their database but said the AAIB will deal with it.

piperboy84
20th Jul 2016, 19:37
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsUqLYgbkd8em2Yk6qE-Vj3mSW89

The final product

NorthernChappie
20th Jul 2016, 21:18
Is EGPT ready for that?

maxred
20th Jul 2016, 21:42
I feel we all know the answer to that

4Screwaircrew
20th Jul 2016, 22:54
I like it, very smart!

dont overfil
21st Jul 2016, 21:53
Deja vu all over again. Takes me back to my disco days.

hub61
23rd Jul 2016, 16:32
very smart but don't stare at it when you're flying!!

piperboy84
24th Jul 2016, 12:38
Had the plane picked up yesterday from Corona and flown to a hangar at Van Nuys, the pilot said the new prop "surged" on take off, I assume this means the governor will need adjusted but what exactly is happening during a surge? Is it changing pitch?

maxred
25th Jul 2016, 20:18
Could be a number of things. Basically the RPM is not being controlled/managed.

This exert from a maintenance book I have........not sure if your prop was just overhauled. Look carefully at the last paragraph below.

One interesting problem that can happen at prop overhaul is improper pitch-stop settings. On a single-engine propeller (where oil pressure increases blade angle), a prop may be set up for the naturally aspirated model of the airplane instead of the turbocharged model. For instance, a C-T210 prop may get set up as a C-210, or an A36TC prop may get set up as an A36 prop. The props for a turbocharged aircraft model actually have a higher blade pitch stop setting than the prop of the naturally aspirated aircraft of the same basic model.

The symptom that shows up here is the inability to keep RPM down at a particular density altitude and airspeed. Higher altitude or higher airspeed does nothing but make the symptom worse; i.e., the higher or faster you go, the higher the RPM goes. And when you point the nose down for descent, the RPM really takes off. In essence, it's acting just like a fixed-pitch prop. Once you reach the altitude at which the symptom shows up, any further increase in altitude, airspeed or engine torque causes a corresponding increase in RPM. The prop is against the high pitch stop and can't go any higher.

On twin-engine aircraft (where oil pressure decreases blade angle), it's the low-pitch stop that will occasionally get set improperly. This will show up as the inability to reach proper static-RPM because the blades can't go to a low enough angle to allow the engine to spin up to max. RPM. Once you're rolling on takeoff, however, the RPM comes up, and for the rest of the flight everything is just fine.

A note of caution here: On the single or twin, this particular problem will only happen after prop-hub maintenance of some kind. A similar symptom showing up suddenly or gradually, with no maintenance having been done on the prop or engine, indicates a weakening engine or possible governor-system trouble.

piperboy84
25th Jul 2016, 20:40
Thanks max red.

The prop is new but is a different make and model than the old one , the governor was overhauled. Sounds like the governor will need to be calibrated to the new prop which makes sense. I suppose it a matter of verifying I'm getting the correct static rpm then checking for over speed and underspeed when changing pitch up in the cruise . Perhaps the mechanic may have just put the prop and governor on as set and hoped for the best .