PDA

View Full Version : Variable spoilers

jparnold
20th Jun 2016, 00:15
My first post - hope I chose the correct forum.
I am not a pilot but a very interested flight simmer.
Recently flew YPAD YSSY onboard a B737-800.
I noticed during descent that the spoilers/spoilerons/speed brake or whatever were deployed a different 'settings' sometimes barely raised and at other times raised more fully (but not a full on as when deployed after touchdown). I felt at the time I noticed them that they were being used to slow the aircraft not as spoilerons.
I am wondering firstly does the auto pilot control them.
Are there 'detent' positions on the control lever for different settings?
Thanks

AerocatS2A
20th Jun 2016, 13:55
I don't know the details for the B737, but pretty sure they are controlled manually for either slowing down and/or increasing the rate of descent. A 737 pilot can confirm.

kenparry
20th Jun 2016, 15:19
For B737/757/767:

There is no control via the autopilot, only manual selection using the speedbrake lever on the port side of the centre console. And, yes, variable position selection is available. No detents, just pull to the extent that you feel is needed.

737aviator
20th Jun 2016, 21:51
On the 737 anyway, partial deployment isn't recommended by Boeing as per FCTM except for an overspeed condition in cruise, but the lever will indeed give you control of any deployment between stowed and the flight detent when in the air. Extending passed the flight detent is prohibited in flight.

Jet II
20th Jun 2016, 22:33
You are looking at the Flight Spoilers - they are on the same cable control run as the ailerons so in a turn the spoilers operate to assist the ailerons.

The Speedbrake system uses the same flight spoiler panels (and also ground spoiler panels) but only works on the ground.

jparnold
20th Jun 2016, 23:21
Thanks everyone
You have answered everything I wanted to know.