PDA

View Full Version : C150 or C172 for ppl ?

Pilot16
28th Jun 2002, 23:51
Hi,

What are the main differences between a Cessna 150 and a cessna 172?

I was planning to take the PPL in C150 simply because of the lower prices but now Im also considering doing it in a 172.

The price difference is not too much, so it might be worth it depending on what actually makes the 172 a better airplane than the 150. Id appreciate if any one can explain to me the main dfferences between the two...I have worked out the total training cost in a C150 would be £5230 and £5590 in a C172 (at my chosen school)
the difference works out to be £360...

I look forward to hearing from you.

Final 3 Greens
29th Jun 2002, 06:54
Pilot 16

The 172 is a bottom end tourer, four seats and a scaled up 152.

Essentially there are very few differences, neither are complex aircraft and both fly well.

The 152 is rather less stable than the 172 due to a lower wing loading and this is usually considered a good thing by instructors, as it makes the student work harder to trim the aircraft and thus become better at the skill.

I did my first 10 hours on 152 and then completed my PPL on a PA28 due to a change of location.

With hindsight the 152 did me a lot of good and then the PA28 was a very good stable platform for the cross country and solo work.

Maybe you could do a similar thing with the 152/172?

My view is that Cessnas are good aeroplanes and although I don't fly too many hours in a 172 I always find it like slipping a favourite pair of shoes on again, which is a compliment to the basic soundness of the design.

Best of luck in your course.

flyby_kiwi
30th Jun 2002, 08:20
I reccomend you go for the 172?

1. You will no doubt begin flying friends around once you get your PPL so youll need the 172 anyway - if you do all your training in it its one less type rating.

2. Doing your pre-ppl x-countrys will be alot easier in that youll be able to carry more fuel (if you happen to get lost the benifits are obvious) and the higher cruise speed will be alot more enjoyable. Ive often thought that doing your x-country in a 172 would be approx - 0.1 or 0.2 hours less than doing the same flight in a 152 so the extra expense can somewhat be saved here.

thats just my $0.02 worth - All the best!

englishal
30th Jun 2002, 14:12
Its not difficult to go from C152 to C172 after you have passed your test, so I shouldn't let that worry you.

My advice (assuming you are male, reverse if you are female or inclined in another way!) is if you have a nice lady instructor, go for the C152, as you'll be jammed in nice and close. If you have a big male instructor then I would recommend the 172. I started learning in the 152, I'm 6'1" and so was my instructor, and after 15 hours of him putting his arm around me, we decided it'd be best to switch to the 172.....which is a far nicer aeroplane to fly I might add.

Cheers
EA:D

Carlito
30th Jun 2002, 16:12
I started flying on a 150. Then when that went off for the CofA moved onto the 172. Found it a much more stable aircraft and easier to trim etc. as previously mentioned. I went solo on the 172.
Then when the 150 came back I found it hard to readjust. Took me a couple of flights with the instructor to get into the groove for solo ccts.
Since then I've trained at another organisation and have soloed in PA28s. Personally I find the airborne characteristics of the C172 closer to the PA28 than the other Cessna. Prob due to similar weight and power.
I must say though, that in my limited flying experience ( <60hrs ) I still love the C172. Flew one on a ferry flight recently and it was like revisiting an old friend.

Carlito

Pilot16
30th Jun 2002, 16:29
Hi thanks very much for all the help.

I will indeed be taking it on C172...

what do u guys think about the piper arrows?
could it be worth doing it on that?

englishal
30th Jun 2002, 16:52
Arrow is a complex aircraft, ie. retractable U/C, VP prop etc, and not worth doing your PPL in. Once you have your PPL, get a complex endorsement and then fly the Arrow...which is a lovely aircraft to fly, similar to an Archer / Warrior... well it is after all a PA28R..... but faster, more load carrying ability etc....

Cheers:D

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2002, 21:17
There is often a certain amount of subtle pressure from instructors to train in a C-172, rather than the lowly C-152. I.e., the novice comes in and says he wants flying lessons and the instructor signs him up for the 172, and the option of training in the 150/152 is not even discussed. If the new student checks the rental rates and does enquire about the 150/152, the instructor says "you wouldn't want to fly that, it is underpowered / too small / not as stable".

I am not suggesting that instructors are doing anything underhanded, just that most of them would prefer to have 172 time in their own logbooks and the student should take a somewhat jaundiced view of any efforts to steer him or her away from the 150/152.

Personally I did my PPL exclusively in 152s and then switched to the 172 for my night rating (I am 6'2", 180 lbs). I agree that the 172 is a more comfortable tourer and better for instrument work, but the 'planes are so much alike that I think most primary students are well enough served by the 150/152 and should save their money, which can be put towards additional lessons or a nice ENC headset or whatever.

If you can fly one, you can fly the other with only a minimal amount of conversion, i.e. a review of the POH and perhaps a one hour checkride.

Tinstaafl
24th Jul 2002, 00:26
C150/152. It's cheaper.

You will most likely save more than your initial calculation shows due to additional training that will probably occur.

flyboy6876
24th Jul 2002, 00:39
The way our club works is that we use the 152 up until we do our GFPT and then we move onto the 172 for doing the nav flights. I found the 152 a good aircraft to do my basic skills and early solo's on and still quite enjoy a flight out to the training area in one.

Gunner B12
24th Jul 2002, 02:00
I did up to my GFPT in a 152 but then had 1 flight in the 172 before having an enforced break in training. since then I have only had 2 more flights in the 172 (hope to get back to training soon) but I find the main difference is that the 172 tends to float a lot when landing which is taking some getting used to.

Julian
24th Jul 2002, 07:41
I did my PPL in a C152 - the Trabant of the flying world!!!!
Bloody good fun to take through the Banning Pass. If you are a big bloke Pilot16 then go for the 172, if you are normal size then go for the 152 - you may nopt have a choice and be forced to hire a 172 if you and your instructor put you outside the W&B calcs anyway.

I have flown the new 172 Millenium SP a few times since passing and its a lovely aircraft. Would I fly a 152 again? On my tod yes. With pax - wheres that Trabant gone?.....

Pilot16
25th Aug 2002, 11:48
Thanks for all the replies!!

I havent checked this post for a while now and I can gladly say Im now heading well towards my first ever solo! Im now just brushing up on the circuits for my first solo (very excited).

Im training in the C152 and finding it a good aircraft to learn to fly in. I've been hearing a lot about other cool aircrafts such as the PA28 so must give a go and see how they feel like ;)

again thanks very much! :)

MikeSamuel
25th Aug 2002, 14:39
Good luck! I fly 152 as well, you should try sitting in a 172 now after doing some flying in the 152. I did it the other day and the 172 seems like a 777 in comparison :D Hope to hear a "First Solo" post from you soon :D

djk
26th Aug 2002, 12:30
I would say for the first part of the training, use a 152, it's cheaper and also easier to throw around a bit for stalls and spins and all that.

Then when you move onto your X-country nav, the 172 will have better endurance.