PDA

View Full Version : Where a Twotter goes even ...

ExXB
17th Jun 2016, 12:02
Hercules fear to tread ....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/16/a-rare-risky-mission-is-underway-to-rescue-sick-scientists-from-the-south-pole/?wpisrc=nl_evening&wpmm=1

Flight aware track of one of the two ... (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CGKBO/history/20160615/0410Z/KMFE/MRLB)

Jhieminga
17th Jun 2016, 12:12
Impressive! But I notice that the aircraft does not seem to have moved a lot over the past day... duty time limitations perhaps? Or have they moved too far South for them to be tracked?

akaSylvia
17th Jun 2016, 15:03
They are showing as in Costa Rica so definitely not too far south. I don't see why Flight Aware wouldn't be able to track them to Rothera. Only one will continue from there and the NSF's site says the earliest it could arrive is the 19th. I wonder if they are waiting for better weather, although it would seem worthwhile to head down to Chile first?

albatross
17th Jun 2016, 16:12
I think the KBA crews know how to do this flight in the safest, quickest way!

Loose rivets
17th Jun 2016, 21:06
I've just spent a tough but enjoyable hour three layers deep in articles on the science. Again, I'll mention Smoot's book, 'Wrinkles in time'. As a page turner, it beats Geoffrey Archer.

Back to this link.

. . . powerful,” Kovac told me.

This is a man who has devoted his professional life to South Pole astronomy, making 24 trips there, each as arduous as you can imagine (fly to New Zealand, then to the McMurdo station on the Antarctica coast, then to the South Pole). In his early 20s, he overwintered at the South Pole, spending 14 months straight at the bottom of the world. In the early 1990s, South Pole astronomer was a much more rugged affair with primitive equipment and a lot of exposure to the elements. He showed me a photograph in which, dressed almost like an astronaut, he’s climbing onto a telescope with a giant tank of liquid helium on his back. This kind of astronomy requires very cold instruments, which is why he has spent two decades lugging liquid helium to the South Pole. As he puts it, the South Pole just isn’t cold enough by itself.

It’s safe to say that if Kovac and his colleagues can’t detect the signal of cosmic inflation, it won’t be for lack of trying.

Just lots and lots of gutsy people doing science these days.

The Banjo
17th Jun 2016, 21:19
How do they manage the low fuel temps? A bit hard for a Twotter to descend to a lower level and increase mach number!

Phileas Fogg
18th Jun 2016, 03:02
Between February and October, only one type of craft can fly to, land at and take off again from the South Pole: the tiny Twin Otter.

Ahem,

I'd bet a beer that a DHC7 could do it and with some 2.5 times the payload of a DHC6

pattern_is_full
18th Jun 2016, 03:19
How do they manage the low fuel temps? A bit hard for a Twotter to descend to a lower level and increase mach number! Apparently the fuel is preheated before loading - one reason for choosing the Twotter over the Hercules, 2500 lbs to heat instead of 60000.

The Twotter can carry a cabin auxiliary tank, which of course is not exposed to the cold until needed. (but I presume Herky-Birds have that option also).

They'll need the reserve tank just for the outbound leg, so there must be refueling capacity at the Polar base - and that fuel can be preheated also before the return.

Lazerdog
18th Jun 2016, 05:46
The DHC-6 is an impressive aircraft in many ways. A friend ferried one back from a remote field in Alaska years ago which required a single engine take-off. Not sure many twins would be capable of that but with that large vertical tail and keeping it light, it was apparently quite easy.

troppo
18th Jun 2016, 05:55
I don't get it...
Winter flights to NZ's Scott Base in Antarctica under way | Stuff.co.nz (http://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/80799472/winter-flights-to-nzs-scott-base-in-antarctica-to-begin)

ion_berkley
18th Jun 2016, 06:21
I don't get it...
Winter flights to NZ's Scott Base in Antarctica under way | Stuff.co.nz
Scott Base is right next to the US base at McMurdo. Its a Costal location, likely with relatively warmer weather than the South Pole base.

Ant T
18th Jun 2016, 07:58
I'd bet a beer that a DHC7 could do it and with some 2.5 times the payload of a DHC6

I think not.........

South Pole is 9,300ft above sea level, and does not have a runway - the only aircraft that operate into there are Twin Otters on skis, and Air National Guard LC-130 (ski-fitted Hercules). The LC130s operate off over 10,000ft of groomed snow (that is maintained through the short summer operating season). The Twin Otter obviously needs much less skiway.
As far as I know, the LC-130 has a minimum temperature for take-off and landing of -50C (hydraulic system limitation?). Twin Otter, with simpler systems, has been operated down to -60C. (Would have to dig out my books to check the official limit).
Year round average surface temperature at South Pole is -49C, and can get into the minus 80s. At this time of year, the average temperature is between -55 and -62C. The operating window for routine operation of the LC 130s to Pole is early November to late February. (Today looks like a warmish day there for the time of year, -51C, 1600m in blowing snow)

The flight from Rothera (British base at 67S on the Antarctic Peninsula) to Pole is about 1300nm, approximately 10 hours in a ski-fitted Twotter. Ferry tanks in the back, PNR approximately half way, nowhere else possible to land. Almost the whole route in complete darkness, including the landing on a skiway with no proper lighting. Although there have now been 3 landings at Pole during the winter, two were early or late when there was still a bit of light in the sky. I believe only one was in total darkness - this one is going to be pretty close to mid-winter.

(2500 hrs ski Twin Otter inc 5 landings at South Pole, 2000 hrs DHC7)

OPENDOOR
18th Jun 2016, 10:53
Any news on when they will depart Costa Rica?

AC560
18th Jun 2016, 12:56
The DHC-6 is an impressive aircraft in many ways. A friend ferried one back from a remote field in Alaska years ago which required a single engine take-off. Not sure many twins would be capable of that but with that large vertical tail and keeping it light, it was apparently quite easy.

AC560 can ;-)

golfyankeesierra
18th Jun 2016, 23:49
Ant T, Hats off to you and those other bush pilots!

Roo
19th Jun 2016, 00:36
Yes hats off. Damned impressive.
....there have now been 3 landings at Pole during the winter, two were early or late when there was still a bit of light in the sky. I believe only one was in total darkness - this one is going to be pretty close to mid-winter.
Would seem (Very sensibly) this mid winter flight may be getting timed so as not to occur in the dark. Coordinated with a full moon that last for weeks!
https://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2016/06/18/south-pole-rescue-flight-not-done-dark/

The Ancient Geek
19th Jun 2016, 00:50
Another nice thing about the Twotter is its performance at the other end of the limits, if a donkey quits when is is very hot and high - no worries, it still has some climb left.
Marvellous machine with very few vices other than the noisiest office in the business.

Phileas Fogg
19th Jun 2016, 01:07
Had a Twotter one day en-route PLH/LHR with a full load, one engine disintegrated resulting in a "Mayday" and a dirty dive in to RAF Odiham.

compressor stall
19th Jun 2016, 03:40
Roo,

I'd pay scant attention to Sandilands' articles. He purports to be an Antarctic aviation expert journalist because he went there as a passenger in a herc some 37 years ago. He might know more than the standard journo, but that does not an expert make.

Many of his articles are riddled with factual errors (including the one you linked above) and big noting to suit some agenda I cannot understand.

Car RAMROD
19th Jun 2016, 04:45
How do they manage the low fuel temps? A bit hard for a Twotter to descend to a lower level and increase mach number!

Fuel tanks are in the belly, not the wings. Unpressurised cabin. I'm guessing there might be a way to keep the ferry tanks warm enough via normal bleed air heating of the cabin and in turn keep the main tank fuel warm, either through circulating the fuel or ducting warm air around it?

No experience with Twotter winter ops myself, but one or two hours on type in a former life. Great machine.
Anyone with proper winter experience on the Twotter around who can share info?

Mr. North
19th Jun 2016, 06:17
I first started flying back in 01 when KBA made the initial polar rescue. After watching it on TV I knew I just had to fly for these guys and I eventually did. My years there were the best of my career so far and there are times like now when I wish I could go back.

Allow me to share what I know about their operation and this trip in particular.

The twin otter is the best aircraft for this task. The USAF C-130 is only capable of operating from a groomed skiway, whereas a ski equipped twotter can theoretically be put down anywhere. That being said I imagine the main reason is cost. With a C130 burning somewhere around 4,000 lbs of fuel an hour I can't begin to imagine how much it would cost to fill up at the most expensive gas station on the planet.

The twin will be flown with two internal ferry tanks providing an additional 5,000 lbs of fuel and yielding a total endurance of 10-12 hours. I say 10-12 because the fuel burn varied between 600-700 depending on the machine. The flight from Rothera to Pole is 1,300nm and travelling at 150kts on paper it will take 9 hours. However, the winds coming down from the polar plateau can be strong (50-100kts) and extend for hundreds of miles. I imagine the boys will probably put on an additional drum or two of granny gas if they can afford the room.

There are no cold weather limits for the Twin Otters at KBA. That being said the temperatures that they will be operating at are on the extreme end of what they normally deal with. The severe cold has a tendency to accelerate the failure of any aircraft components with an underlying weakness. Once you get below -40 and into the 50's it's important to baby the aircraft in all ways possible. The engines, battery, and avionics require special care of course. But so do the lesser items like the ski bungees, fuel caps, and door handles. Any of which can easily break without much effort at all.

On arrival, once the aircraft comes to a stop it will be immediately frozen in place. Normally, knocking the skis and twisting the throttles will be enough to wiggle yourself loose but at ferry weight she will most certainly need a tug from a tractor to break free. Another interesting phenomenon at these extremes is ski friction. Normally the weight of the ski on snow melts a small layer into water which allows you to slide along. But at these temperatures that doesn't always happen, especially at low speed like taxing. The friction of the snow now becomes similar to sand. As a result gaining any sort of momentum can be quite challenging. Thankfully they have 12,000ft of groomed skiway to play with.

They most likely won't be on the ground for long. Starboard engine will be kept running to power the tip tank fuel pumps and keep the battery above board. Some hot fuel, wx check, and load'em up. They'll have tailwinds for the return trip but it will be no less challenging. Fatigue will become a factor. As will enroute icing around the coast and the ever present possibility of the weather going down at Rothera.

Plenty of factors to account for on a mission like this. I wish them all the best!!

dcorp
19th Jun 2016, 09:59
When does jet fuel need to be heated and if heated fuel is uploaded into the belly tanks, does it retain much of its heat cause its below the heated cabin floor?
Does the wing fuel in C130 really retain useful heat exposed to those temps and insulated with a wing skin?
Also wondering if there's an approach aid into the strip @ the South
Pole or just WAAS GPS. Navigating that far south must be tricky? Is it as simple as plugging in a waypoint?
Does anyone know what other unique prep both aircraft get prior to departure?
Do they spend their summers in Antarctica?
Bunch of questions but Im fascinated..................thanks

galaxy flyer
19th Jun 2016, 16:28
Didn't the evac of the Doctor in 2001-ish involve an overnight at SP Station? I didn't know they did the whole trip in one go. I did get brief on the C-141 airdrop that year.

Ant T
19th Jun 2016, 17:05
Didn't the evac of the Doctor in 2001-ish involve an overnight at SP Station?

Both the 2001 and the 2003 winter medevacs involved a rest period for the crew at the Pole. About 16 hours in 2001, and 12 hours in 2003. The planned rest of 10 hours in 2001 was extended due to weather concerns, and problems thawing out the aircraft and getting the skis unstuck.

Coincidentally, both medical cases involved gallstones (plus other complications).

cats_five
19th Jun 2016, 17:41
Gallstones can be very painful and are very serious if the gall bladder bursts.

Any sign of the Twotters moving further south?

TRF4EVR
19th Jun 2016, 19:32
Having Ant T and Mr. North in this thread is pretty much the reason for the internet. Hats off.

jurassicjockey
20th Jun 2016, 01:34
Puts the "p" back in pprune, which is most welcome after any accident thread

Whenwe
20th Jun 2016, 08:09
Plus 1.

As an ex Herc /L100 pilot; a pleasure to read and will most certainly follow the progress
Good luck

G-CPTN
20th Jun 2016, 09:06
Three Canadians from Kenn Borek Air died in January 2013 during an Antarctic flight when their plane crashed into a steep slope on the Queen Alexandra mountain range.
The crew were flying from the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station while delivering fuel for an Italian research team when the accident occurred.

MATELO
20th Jun 2016, 09:58
The planes are in Punta Arenas, Peru, awaiting favorable weather to fly to the British Antarctic Survey Station at Rothera.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/total-darkness-calgary-planes-fly-to-south-pole-for-risky-rescue-mission-1.2952179

Tourist
20th Jun 2016, 10:03
Three Canadians from Kenn Borek Air died in January 2013 during an Antarctic flight when their plane crashed into a steep slope on the Queen Alexandra mountain range.
The crew were flying from the Amundsen-Scott South

Pole Station while delivering fuel for an Italian research team when the accident occurred.

Plus of course the unfortunate iceberg at the end of the runway incident....

Roo
20th Jun 2016, 10:59
Roo,

I'd pay scant attention to Sandilands' articles....

Compressor Stall, do as you wish.

However I happily take Bens point that numerous media outlets are running with headlines such as
>'Total darkness': Calgary planes fly to South Pole for risky rescue <
whilst in reality the place is not actually in total darkness ATM. This is nicely demonstrated here:
The USAP Portal: Science and Support in Antarctica - South Pole Station Webcams (http://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/spwebcam.cfm) or here: ESRL Global Monitoring Division - South Pole Observatory (http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/obop/spo/livecamera.html)

Of course if the moon is obscured by a heavy overcast on the day it might be a different story.

G-CPTN
20th Jun 2016, 11:15
Could the pilots (or at least one of them) wear night-vision goggles?

AVNTech
20th Jun 2016, 11:30
G-CPTN
AFAIK Twotters are not NVG configured, ie. the cockpit lighting would swamp the goggles sensors. Aside from law enforcement ac I'm not sure any civil aviation has NVG compatible cockpits.
Whilst doing spotter duties on CC130's we had to place tape over the emergency flashlight mounted on the wall (this was in the back, near the jump doors) as the tiny red charging indicator would cause issues with our NVG's.
Cheers from CYZX.

Ant T
20th Jun 2016, 12:23
For anyone who might be interested, charts for Rothera, where the Twin Otters will be heading as soon as weather permits, from Punta Arenas (in Chile, Matelo, not Peru....)

https://www.bas.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/pim_ch7_chartsal3_rothera_010113.pdf

The GNSS approach is new since I was last there, (2009).
The normal flying season starts in early October and runs to early March. I did two winter flights into Rothera, in the Dash 7, one after a fatality on the base, and the other for a person with a collapsed lung. Both were in August, when there were a few hours of daylight each day, but on the first one, we were lucky to get in, as the weather deteriorated significantly after we had passed PNR and we landed with about 2000m in blowing snow.

The 2013 KBA accident happened in the transantarctic mountains, which go up to almost 15,000'. The normal route between Rothera and Pole threads its way between King George Island and the peninsula, and then over fairly featureless plateau for most of the rest of the route.

Ref. the iceberg accident at Rothera in 1994 - that is a persistent hazard at Rothera, the deep water at both ends of the runway allows bergs to float past very close. When the sea is not frozen, they tend to move on fairly quickly, but some winters they can get caught in place, and make for some interesting approaches.

(Just noticed, the aerial photo of the runway on page 8 of the approach info linked above, shows a good example, with a couple of icebergs frozen into the sea on short final to RW 18)

The Ancient Geek
20th Jun 2016, 12:42
Hmmm - most places in the Antarctic would seem to trump even Lukla as "interesting places to fly the Twotter". Be carefull out there.

MATELO
20th Jun 2016, 14:25
Chile, Matelo, not Peru.

I saw Chile. Read Chile. Typed Peru. :mad:

Tks for the correction.:ok:

Herod
20th Jun 2016, 17:18
Over a relatively flat, monochrome white land, under a relatively uniformly black sky, where do NVGs come in? I suppose they would pick up the landing area quicker, but that would be all.

IcePack
20th Jun 2016, 17:38
In my 45 years of airline flying. (Retired last Nov) I had the pleasure of flying with two Antarctic pilots. (L & N) this was before they went "south" I have to say they were both proberbly the best pilots who I had the pleasure of sharing a cockpit with.
Respect!

cprior
20th Jun 2016, 19:59
Compressor Stall, do as you wish.

However I happily take Bens point that numerous media outlets are running with headlines such as
>'Total darkness': Calgary planes fly to South Pole for risky rescue <
whilst in reality the place is not actually in total darkness ATM. This is nicely demonstrated here:
The USAP Portal: Science and Support in Antarctica - South Pole Station Webcams (http://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/spwebcam.cfm) or here: ESRL Global Monitoring Division - South Pole Observatory (http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/obop/spo/livecamera.html)

Of course if the moon is obscured by a heavy overcast on the day it might be a different story.

The standard algorithms for moonrise/-set are a bit whacky for these extreme longitude values, but indeed between 2016/6/13 08:05:02 and 2016/6/27 12:53:52 the moon ist astronomically above the horizon: https://gist.github.com/cprior/c295bbb24d00897b73d21f574e862b2e

Fascinating!
http://i.imgur.com/oaEabL3.jpg

Mr. North
21st Jun 2016, 03:35
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/s960x960/10865899_10152929373495853_7796059303910001342_o.jpg

Approach plate for the south pole from a couple of years ago. It's not well depicted on here but Grid E of the runway is the clean air sector. As you can imagine the south pole has the purest air on the planet, scientist use this area as a benchmark for the rest of the earth. They come down pretty hard on those who violate this airspace so it's in your best interest to make sure you're approaching from the right sector.

Someone may have an older approach plate, I remember the way points were previously named after Amundsen, Scott, and Shackleton. Too bad they made the change.

I'm glad to hear that they will have some rest once arriving at the station. I was under the impression that they would be turning right around weather permitting. That being said, "rest" at the Pole can be rather erratic. Obviously at the 9,300ft you have the elevation to deal with. But being at the Pole you're under an area of constant low pressure, which can give you the feeling of being much higher. Lastly, it's extremely dry. Trying to get good sleep with an oxygen generator plugged up your nose is not pleasant. I'm sure you'd get used to it over time but for one or two nights at a time it's tough.

I heard today that they've landed in Rothera and are waiting for a weather window. In the mean time they'll be switching from wheels to board skis. Usually this is accomplished by switching to wheel-skis, flying up to the plateau, and switching to boards on the skiway. But I'm guessing that at this time of year they'll go straight to board skis on the tarmac and blast off the snow packed runway.

Roo
21st Jun 2016, 04:53
I find it fascination too. Had always assumed it was pitch dark for the entire winter. Nice work with your How long does the moon stay above the horizon at the south pole? (https://gist.github.com/cprior/c295bbb24d00897b73d21f574e862b2e) Calcs.

Edit: I see they have staged down to Rothera successfully

..planes reach British station at Rothera (http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=138982&)

compressor stall
21st Jun 2016, 07:53
That the moon is up tonight (and continuously for the next few days) was never in dispute, and no it will not be as pitch black as it will be in two weeks.

However, the author might have taken the time to mention that, even with a full moon near the horizon on the white snow, it's hardly daylight. Yes, you might be able to walk around without walking into something and it may help SA for the circuit / landing. And as you say - and the author again might have cared to mention - any cirrus or lower altostratus, the ever persistent airborne ice crystals, or aircraft induced fog might make the conditions appear pretty dark. The lay person would infer the opposite from the tone of the article.

Those webcams to which you link appear to be long exposure images - notice the flags blurred, the overexposure of the light sources and the stars in the sky. Correctly exposed images under moonlight appear in a photo similar to that of the sun. The blueish tint that occurs to us looking at the full moon for real is because the low light receptors in our eyes favour light at that end of the spectrum. It has some scientific name that escapes me for now.

The irony is that he accuses other media sources with little attention to detail in the header, and omits important ones himself and makes at least one scientific mistake (not about the moon). But back to the subject matter...

Have a safe flight gentlemen.

PersonFromPorlock
21st Jun 2016, 15:49
The blueish tint that occurs to us looking at the full moon for real is because the low light receptors in our eyes favour light at that end of the spectrum. It has some scientific name that escapes me for now."Purkinje shift" or "Purkinje effect".

plhought
21st Jun 2016, 16:44
To answer the heated-fuel questions -

There's fuel/oil heaters before the FCU on each engines that bring the fuel temp to a fine temperature. Every Pratt turboprop has them. Boost pumps are tough they have no problem moving cold fuel.

West Coast
21st Jun 2016, 16:56
What about bulk fuel heating?

If there is such on the Twotter.

tdracer
21st Jun 2016, 17:20
Boost pumps are tough they have no problem moving cold fuel.
But the best boost pump won't move frozen fuel. You need to make sure the fuel in the tanks stays above the freezing point of the fuel - not trivial when you're talking -60C or lower :eek:

OldLurker
21st Jun 2016, 17:53
What about other fluids, such as engine oil, grease on moving parts (e.g. control surfaces)? Do they freeze too, if so how to prevent it?

172driver
21st Jun 2016, 20:14
Looks like they're on their way to the pole.Daring Antarctic rescue mission sets off for South Pole : Nature News & Comment (http://www.nature.com/news/daring-antarctic-rescue-mission-sets-off-for-south-pole-1.20135)

oceancrosser
21st Jun 2016, 20:39
Having been to Union Glacier, Antarctica and met some of the Kenn Borek folks, I have the utmost respect for them. Hope the mission is successful. Will be watching how it goes.

Herod
21st Jun 2016, 20:53
Yet again the phrase "wooden ships and iron men" comes to mind. I've only 500 hours on the Twotter, many years ago, but I'm convinced it's the aircraft for the job. Kudos to the crew though: I wouldn't fancy it, let alone be able to do it.

G-CPTN
21st Jun 2016, 22:02
A Twin Otter plane operated by Kenn Borek Air took off for the National Science Foundation's Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station on Tuesday, officials said.
They are expected to land at about 3 p.m. MT.

Is MT North American Mountain Time?

rotornut
21st Jun 2016, 22:57
They touched down Tuesday afternoon: Kenn Borek Air rescue flight lands at South Pole station - Calgary - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kenn-borek-air-weather-delays-june-20-1.3645013)

dcorp
21st Jun 2016, 23:50
Been looking over the British Antarctic Survey web site and noticed a "blind landing area" depicted on page 3 of the info on the Halley 6 skiway: https://www.bas.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/pim_ch7_chartsal1_halley6.pdf
Wondered if anyone could explain its purpose..................I assume its self explanatory but don't know for sure.

India Four Two
22nd Jun 2016, 03:36
Is MT North American Mountain Time?

Probably, although at this time of the year, it should properly be MDT - Mountain Daylight Time (UTC -6)

India Four Two
22nd Jun 2016, 05:37
It takes balls of brass to knowingly fly in that environment. I think the slogan below sums up their attitude:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/india42/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-21%20at%2023.30.37%20_zpsrtzb7ips.png

fox niner
22nd Jun 2016, 07:14
They should be taking off in the next hours. They have been on the ice for their 10 hour rest period, so when conditions are good enough they might go for it.
On the webcam images there is some activity going on, I can't make out what exactly.
Live webcam feed can be found here:

The USAP Portal: Science and Support in Antarctica - South Pole Station Webcams (http://www.usap.gov/videoClipsAndMaps/spWebCam.cfm)

Press releases from Kenn Borek can be found here:

NEWSROOM (http://www.borekair.com/newsroom.html)

Twitter feed with pictures of the plane on the ground/ice:

https://twitter.com/NSF_OPP/status/745375475594297344/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Roo
22nd Jun 2016, 07:42
..and this other webcam at the SP observatory appears to show what could be lit a flare path ESRL Global Monitoring Division - South Pole Observatory (http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/obop/spo/livecamera.html)

compressor stall
22nd Jun 2016, 08:33
Dcorp, they are for landing ski equipped aircraft in conditions that are not suitable for the skiway (which have flags and other markets).

Besides the obvious blizzard, this might be due to BLSN that obscures the ground with blue sky above. The depth depends on the wind strength and temperature and type of snow.

It's basically setting up a straight shallow nose up approach with a low descent rate and chopping the power when you feel a bump. The rad alt is not accurate enough for flaring due to variations in snow reflectivity. Good 'fun'.

MATELO
22nd Jun 2016, 08:36
A plane has landed at the South Pole after a nine-hour journey over the icy continent to evacuate a sick worker from a remote science station.

The aircraft set out from Rothera - a British base on the Antarctic peninsula - according to the National Science Foundation , which runs the American outpost.

The pilot, co-pilot, flight engineer and medical worker will rest for at least 10 hours before refuelling and making the marathon 1,500-mile journey back to Rothera, said NSF spokesman Peter West.

The worker - whose medical condition has not been disclosed - will then be flown out of Antarctica for treatment.

"It went all according to plan," said Mr West.

A second worker is also ill, but officials have yet to decide whether that patient will also fly out, he added.

Daring Antarctic Rescue Mission At South Pole (http://news.sky.com/story/1715593/daring-antarctic-rescue-mission-at-south-pole)

ExXB
22nd Jun 2016, 08:56
Pity Sky news couldn't attribute the flight to the airline or the aircraft.

RAT 5
22nd Jun 2016, 09:04
Well done indeed to all involved. An extreme operation and much will have been learnt.

In the preceding photo of shiny DC-3 with turbine engines, and bemused King/Emperor penguins looking on, I was reminded of an old adage by the sceptics,

"if God had meant us to fly we've have wings."

In Antarctica, guess what, evolution decided that, for large creatures, flying down there was not the smartest idea. One characteristic of humans is we don't lie down and say we can't; we find a way to overcome and succeed.
Congratulations on mission accomplished.

Stanwell
22nd Jun 2016, 09:49
Now, I got the impression that two of Kenn Borek's Twotters went down there - one to return today and the other to stick around for a bit.
Is that so?
Antarctica has been the graveyard of many aircraft over the years... I do hope they're able to tie it down well.

spinex
22nd Jun 2016, 09:56
2 of them flew to Rothera on the coast, one continued on to the polar base, the second available for SAR if the worst happened.

Stanwell
22nd Jun 2016, 10:11
Ah .. Thanks, spinex.

dcorp
22nd Jun 2016, 10:58
Amazing flying down there, thanks very much Compressor Stall

OzBob
22nd Jun 2016, 12:22
NSF Polar Programs ‏@NSF_OPP (https://twitter.com/NSF_OPP) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/NSF_OPP/status/745590374257745920)
Update: South Pole Medical evacuation flight, #Antarctic (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Antarctic?src=hash) June 22: Plane has left the Pole: http://tinyurl.com/mrg9g2w (https://t.co/mSnqcStEc1)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CljeSclUkAA-gRy.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/91109624/nsf1_bigger.jpg NSF Polar Programs ‏@NSF_OPP (https://twitter.com/NSF_OPP) 44m44 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/NSF_OPP/status/745580971613786112)
Image: A Twin Otter aircraft on a medical-evacuation flight taxis at NSF's Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CljV58MVEAE4CO0.jpg

fox niner
22nd Jun 2016, 15:31
Godspeed, Kenn Borek!:ok:

joy ride
22nd Jun 2016, 18:47
One of the most interesting threads I have ever read. My thanks to all contributors, profound respect of all involved, and best wishes for the full, speedy recovery of the patients.

pattern_is_full
22nd Jun 2016, 19:00
Report now that return trip to Rothera completed successfully:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/21/antarctica-polar-rescue-planes-medical-emergency

a330pilotcanada
22nd Jun 2016, 19:18
Good Afternoon All:

Taken from the CBC Calgary web site

Bravo Zulu Borek Air.

Kenn Borek Air rescue flight returns to Rothera from South Pole station - Calgary - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kenn-borek-air-south-pole-june-22-1.3646966)

Kenn Borek Air rescue flight returns to Rothera from South Pole station
Crew makes safe return to British Antarctic Survey Station after making pick-up at U.S. station farther south
CBC News Posted: Jun 22, 2016 7:36 AM MT Last Updated: Jun 22, 2016 12:23 PM MT
A Calgary-based team's perilous mission to fly in and rescue two people needing medical attention at a research facility in the Antarctic continues.
The crew has returned safely to the British Antarctic Survey's Rothera Station after leaving the South Pole early Wednesday morning, according to the U.S. National Science Foundation.
After leaving Calgary June 14, the crew arrived at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station on Tuesday afternoon and rested for 10 hours before beginning their return journey.
• Kenn Borek Air rescue flight lands at South Pole station
• Mission to Antarctica arrives in Rothera
The small Twin Otter plane operated by Calgary's Kenn Borek Air made the 2,400-kilometre, nine-hour trip on Tuesday through dark and cold from the British base on the Antarctic peninsula.
Two of the 48 people at the South Pole station are ill, and at least one of them needs medical care off the continent.
Officials were still determining whether the second patient needed to be brought out as well, but had not given any details on the person or condition. There was no word on whether one or two patients were to be flown out of the station.
It's midwinter in Antarctica, and the foundation said flights in and out of the station are usually not planned between February and October due to the extreme cold and darkness.

The rescue crew has begun its return journey to the British Antarctic Survey's Rothera station after resting for 10 hours at the South Pole. (National Science Foundation)

Herod
22nd Jun 2016, 19:52
Well done all concerned.

whiterock
22nd Jun 2016, 19:57
Joy ride, I fully agree with your sentiments and am so proud as a fellow aviator of the crews involved in this mission.

There can be very few pilots that have that destination in their log book and fewer still that flew there in a DHC-6. I wish them all a safe return home.

Halfnut
22nd Jun 2016, 22:57
Here is a four part series of the 2001 mission to the South Pole during the dead of winter that only the mighty Twin Otter could accomplish.

While dated it gives you an idea of what they have to do to pull one of these things off.

Canadians pulled off daring 2001 South Pole rescue (http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/canadians-pulled-off-daring-2001-south-pole-rescue-1.1127682)

rotornut
23rd Jun 2016, 00:44
Fascinating thread, in fact, one of the best I have ever read. Congrats to the
KBA crew!

Kerberos42
23rd Jun 2016, 22:54
Hello... Life long aviation fan here, hoping for a PPL one day. Been lurking around here for many many years and learned a lot from you all knowing types. I'm especially fascinated with this type of "extreme" flying, and registered just to ask a question:

I was very interested in Mr Norths posts relating to the technical challenges of this type of flying. What happens on to the plane during the 10 hour rest? I seem to remember a different flight to the South Pole (or a similar environment) where they needed to keep one engine running to prevent the plane from freezing while on the ground (ice). I doubt they kept an engine running for 10 hours, so how was the plane prepared to survive 10 hours on the surface with systems off, and what was required to thaw it out again?

Thanks, and keep the excellent information coming.

compressor stall
24th Jun 2016, 11:01
Engine blankets and Herman nelsons. Basically kero powered hairdryers with a flexible duct that pumps hot air into the engine exhaust.

Batteries need looking after too. They probably take them out.

pineridge
24th Jun 2016, 11:52
Despite the heroic nature of the rescue, none of the media I have read have seen fit to publish the crews` names.

albatross
24th Jun 2016, 13:03
Ha ..American news coverage started with a clip of a C-130 then on to the story ..at no time were the words..Ken Borek Air, Canada, Canadians used. Heavens forbid that they name the crew.

RAT 5
24th Jun 2016, 14:17
Guess they'll have to do it all again so we can see the Nat Geo program of the epic operation. Or, did they have any photo coverage with them in flight?

Elastoboy
24th Jun 2016, 17:27
KBA press release from today with the professionals identified!

NEWSROOM (http://www.borekair.com/newsroom.html)

SpringHeeledJack
24th Jun 2016, 17:43
A MASSIVE well done to the Kenn Borek Air crews, both air and ground for a successful mission. My curious mind wishes to ask a perhaps distasteful question, regarding money. The costs of sending several aircraft and crew on a 20,000mile round trip must be somewhat expensive, what would a ball-park figure be for such an endeavour ? I realise that the costs are covered by insurance/tax-payer dollars, but all the same..

PersonFromPorlock
24th Jun 2016, 19:35
Ha ..American news coverage started with a clip of a C-130 then on to the story ..at no time were the words..Ken Borek Air, Canada, Canadians used. Heavens forbid that they name the crew. Nothing sinister, just modern journalism. Anything that spaces out the ads....

Car RAMROD
25th Jun 2016, 10:22
Well done KBA! I bet that was no easy task. Very few would get to do something so awesome.

Alpine Flyer
28th Jun 2016, 12:20
I remember hearing about BAS trying blue ice operations with the Dash 7 but giving up on that due to vibration problems (with the longish main gear legs).

Ant T
28th Jun 2016, 14:42
Hi Alpine Flyer - as you are probably aware, the operation to South Pole was a landing on snow rather than blue ice, and something definitely not possible with a Dash 7.
When the Dash 7 was selected for use by BAS, I believe there was some design work done into fitting it with skis, to enable it to be used for deep field work as well as the intercontinental link between the newly constructed gravel runway at Rothera, and Chile or the Falklands. However, I believe the design they came up with, while workable as an engineering solution, was never going to be practical due to range and payload factors (weight of the skis and reduced cruise speed, on what is already a slow design of aircraft due to its STOL capabilities).

However, blue ice with the Dash 7 is now a routine operation for BAS, and has been since around 1994. The site flown to is Sky Blu, a patch of blue ice at about 75S 71W, approx 500 miles South of Rothera, 4500' up on the Peninsula.
Blue Ice areas occur naturally in the Antarctic, usually in the lee of exposed mountain tops, where the prevailing winds scour the snow off the underlying glacier ice. The surface can vary a lot, depending on conditions and temperature - sometimes absolutely slick and smooth, sometimes a small amount of grip, and sometimes quite textured with "sun-cups" (small, 2-3" dia. shallow depressions, than can be a bit bumpy).

With no braking at all, the stopping is completely by reverse thrust, but at normal landing weights in the Dash, you are touching down pretty slow (80-90 kts). The crosswind limits are about 10kts max, and taxiing needs a slightly modified techniqe, as with no grip, the nose-wheel will not steer you and you rely on differential power, but you do need to keep the nose-wheel aligned with the direction of turn otherwise you get some nasty juddering.

One time, we managed to demonstrate just how little friction there was by taking off with the Parking Brake (inadvertently, due to a non-standard sequence of events) left on. Only realised half way back to Rothera!

The big advantage of using the Dash to Sky Blu is that it can move as much payload in one round trip from Rothera (4h40) as it would take in about 30 hours of Twin Otter flying, and has greatly reduced the amount of fuel positioning that used to be done by Twin Otter for the deep field work.

This link https://www.bas.ac.uk/polar-operations/sites-and-facilities/facility/dash-7-aircraft/ should take you to the BAS webpage with more info on the Dash, and a nice photo of it landing on the ice,

And this link https://www.bas.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/pim_ch7_chartsal3_skyblu_010113.pdf should take you to the approach chart for Sky Blu, with further information and a nice aerial shot of the blue ice.

I flew the BAS Dash 7 between 1997 and 2009, and probably did around 100 landings at Sky Blue - miss it a lot.

Methersgate
28th Jun 2016, 15:31
Fascinating thread just got even better.

harrryw
28th Jun 2016, 16:31
As a 10 year old I can recall standing on the wharf in Melbourne to see off a boat to antarctica with on board an Auster to operate down there. It provided many imaginary dreams. It seems the Antarctic is still a new continent. Thanks for an interesting thread and especially Ant T's comments.

joy ride
28th Jun 2016, 18:39
In my childhood I remember that either Airfix or Frog made an Auster Antarctica plastic kit.

Stanwell
29th Jun 2016, 07:56
Yep - Airfix.
Complete with floats and injection-moulded in yellow - saved you painting it. :ok:

badgerh
29th Jun 2016, 10:53
I remember making the airfix kit with my dad. He was an Auster pilot and instructor in the Air OP during WWII so an Auster kit was a lot of fun for him.

Thanks for a great thread - really amazing rescue.

harrryw
3rd Jul 2016, 13:45
So just 60 years from occasional Auster flights to a massive summer operation and this well performed rescue mission. Cannot say aviation is going to the dogs. Sleds now have motorized tractors mainly:)

Wander00
3rd Jul 2016, 21:06
Airfix did make a kit. When I was a young pilot there was a DCI (or equivalent) inviting volunteers to fly it (the real one). I had Auster and Chipmunk experience and I considered applying but was daft enough to mention the idea to the then Mrs - big mistake. Often wonder how things would have turned out if I had applied and had been accepted. Strangely, youngest son who is a CAD designer is considering applying for a job with - British Antarctic Survey

India Four Two
4th Jul 2016, 17:19
And here's the real thing. One of the highlights of my visit to the RNZAF Museum at Wigram:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/india42/IMG_0403%20Auster_zpsuiermgmz.jpg

I had not previously noticed that there is an RAF serial under the wing and an RNZAF serial on the tail. Does anyone know the history of that?

Often wonder how things would have turned out if I had applied and had been accepted. Wander00,
Sometime in the late 60s, during my UAS career, I met a Flight Lieutenant who had volunteered to fly a Twin Otter for the BAS. He was very bitter about his experience and said it had ruined his career.

rugmuncher
4th Jul 2016, 17:44
I42 :

"I had not previously noticed that there is an RAF serial under the wing and an RNZAF serial on the tail. Does anyone know the history of that?"

Google is your friend

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/1989-0305-A-AUSTER-T-7-WE600.pdf

Wander00
4th Jul 2016, 19:17
India Four Two - an interesting observation. And had I gone I might well not have had my eldest son, whose wedding we attended last weekend - you never know how life will turn out

Herod
4th Jul 2016, 19:40
Years ago, I was asked to write a reference for a colleague. I don't know whether my reference (positive) carried any weight, but he wasn't accepted. At that time I was flying for Loganair in Scotland. During the Antarctic winter I gather the aircraft came north for maintenance, and then were leased out . I flew VP-FAW, a bright red Falkland Islands registered aircraft. Funnily enough, some 36 years later, at Duxford, I came across VP-FAZ, which was obviously going somewhere.

Elastoboy
5th Jul 2016, 23:03
Today's press conference at KBA
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/kenn-borek-air-south-pole-crew-speaks-1.3664903

PacWest
6th Jul 2016, 05:30
A different but more complete interview of all of the crews from Kenn Borek Air flight to the pole:

'Everything went as planned': Calgary-based air crew share details of South Pole mission | CTV News (http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/south-pole-rescue-all-in-a-day-s-work-for-kenn-borek-air-crew-1.2974034)

`

India Four Two
6th Jul 2016, 06:33
Great videos on the CTV link. Note that there are several videos - all worth watching.

evansb
6th Jul 2016, 07:05
Truly aviation at it's finest! (thank you India Four Two for your content)
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b477/gumpjr_bucket/7863382.jpg

rotornut
6th Jul 2016, 18:54
CBC News video of crew describing mission:

Daring South Pole rescue mission - CBC News | The National (http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/daring-south-pole-rescue-mission-1.3667087)

SeenItAll
7th Jul 2016, 23:33
Very substantial article in today's Washington Post about the rescue. Can't really find any faults in its accuracy. Canadian nature of Kenn Borek Air mentioned prominently :D.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/07/06/a-tiny-little-dot-in-that-mass-of-black-pilots-recount-daring-south-pole-rescue-mission/

Mudman
11th Jul 2016, 11:32
Kenn Borek Air: Canada's low-key, daredevil airline

Flying to the ends of the Earth on wheels, floats and skis

By Kyle Bakx, CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/cbc-news-online-news-staff-list-1.1294364) Posted: Jul 10, 2016 3:00 AM MT Last Updated: Jul 10, 2016 8:26 AM MT

Article (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kenn-borek-air-calgary-1.3665817)

Pilot Wally Dobchuk recounts the rescue mission timeline from start to finish

Video Interview (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/pilot-wally-dobchuk-recounts-the-rescue-mission-timeline-from-start-to-finish-1.3665807)

oleary
11th Jul 2016, 23:11
Dunno about that.

I spent 8 years in the Beaufort Sea and Canadian High Arctic flying IFR helicopters in support of oil exploration.

I worked along side Kenn Borek Air on many of these projects. I also knew Kenn (RIP) personally.

KBA are probably the most professional, most knowledgeable and most experienced Arctic operators in the world.

Dare devil they sure as hell ain't!

India Four Two
12th Jul 2016, 02:31
oleary,

As a Calgarian and someone who has spent some time paxing in Twin Otters in the Arctic, I was annoyed by the daredevil headline.

I was going to post about it, but your post is much more authoritative.

The conditions at the South Pole are admittedly extreme, but KBA's experience in the Canadian High Artic makes the company uniquely qualified for this mission.

Have a look at the weather in Resolute (74°42' N 094°50' W):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolute,_Nunavut

It is also one of the coldest inhabited places in the world, with an average yearly temperature of −15.7° C (3.7° F)

The January daily mean temperature is -35° C and the record low is -52° C!

Even much further south, temperatures can be very low. For example, even in Calgary (KBA's HQ - 51° N - the same latitude as Gatwick), there are a few days each winter with temperatures below -30° C and the record low is -45° C.

I've spent time in northern Alberta and BC, and the Arctic on seismic crews in very cold temperatures. The biggest issue is not so much the actual temperature, but the wind-chill which sends the apparent temperature plunging. This affects not just people but machinery as well. Steel becomes brittle and hydraulic hoses fracture.

Vehicles are usually never shutdown and are left running all night, with an electric "block-heater" plugged in for good measure. With aircraft, the engines are covered with insulated blankets and kept warm with electric heaters or Herman Nelson hot-air heaters.

I liked the video interviews of the crews - very modest and professional. Well done KBA.

oleary
12th Jul 2016, 03:05
It's not just the cold.

When you are north of the magnetic North Pole in November, December, January (Panarctic Oils) and you know that there is nobody for 2000 miles to come and save you if you screw it up - it gets VERY, VERY lonely.

The boys and girls at Kenn Borek Air have been providing an Arctic and Antarctic service safely since 1970.

You don't get that record by being "daredevils".

India Four Two
12th Jul 2016, 03:27
oleary,

Very true. I still vividly remember hearing about the Panarctic Electra crash at Rae Point.

My Arctic experience was cushy by comparison - the Tuk Peninsula and Shingle Point, although I do remember feeling very lonely when I spotted a polar bear, while I was on the airstrip, 500 m from camp.

oleary
12th Jul 2016, 03:38
.... Pat Bay on Herschel Island hundreds of times.

I have very fond memories of my 7000 hours in the Arctic. Mostly 212 and 61 but some 76 too.

Lots of night VFR (ya right :oh:) slinging for Imperial, Gulf and Panarctic.

bloom
12th Jul 2016, 04:21
"The biggest issue is not so much the actual temperature, but the wind-chill which sends the apparent temperature plunging. This affects not just people but machinery as well. Steel becomes brittle and hydraulic hoses fracture."

Sorry. but "wind chill" has no effect on machinery, Only on exposed skin and the moisture it contains.

Stanwell
12th Jul 2016, 05:31
bloom,
Mostly correct, particularly where animal life and moisture evaporation come into it.
However ... A fluid (in this case, air) moving over any surface will facilitate heat exchange.

oleary
12th Jul 2016, 05:40
Clearly, you have never worked on oil rigs in cold temperatures.

twochai
12th Jul 2016, 16:03
When you are north of the magnetic North Pole in November, December, January (Panarctic Oils) and you know that there is nobody for 2000 miles to come and save you if you screw it up - it gets VERY, VERY lonely.

Absolutely correct. Not to talk about departing Rae Point for points even further north, to land beside a drill rig on the frozen Arctic Ocean at 82N for Dome Pete - in the days before INS and GPS were commercially available!

That good old Sperry Slaved Gyro Compass (a J-2 IIRC) was the reliable 'lifeline' in the areas of compass unreliability, with astro backup (LoL).

And, we won't even talk about communications (or lack thereof)!

oleary
12th Jul 2016, 19:10
In the Bell 212 and Sikorsky 61 we had the Ontrac III (VLF) which promptly went into DR whenever we encountered P static (dry snow).

We also had a good Sperry compass, C-7 as I recall. They didn't usually precess more than about 15 degrees an hour.

We also had ADF's (when the ground station worked) but when you picked up a rig mat or Nodwell or trailer the needles lined up with the load - usually 90 degrees to direction of flight.

The first load in was a ground lighting station with the mercury arc lights pointed straight up.

Next was a trailer that you placed sideways for a good primary radar return. RadAlt was your go to for height.

All this meant we got awfully good at climbing up above the (low) clouds and lookin' at the stars.

I called it the "about yeah" method.

Wind is about "yeah", slow load so ground speed is about "yeah" and drift correction should be about "yeah". That meant Cisco (or Noice or Pat Bay or Cameron) had to be about "yeah". Time to go was calculated with your best guess of groundspeed and your watch.

Plug all the above into the old Mark I brain and give'r!

I will not regal you with stooging around at 300 feet in a 212 pitch dark searching for the ice stations to change tapes (daily) which we did for a month BEFORE we started any of the above.

Weather forecasting, of course, was an FA based on not much.

TC would have us all in jail if we did that stuff now :O

Elastoboy
30th Mar 2017, 15:49
Sorry for the new thread Mods - the old one is closed.

Well the Kenn Borek team who pulled off the trip to the pole in the middle of winter have been recognized and honoured by the Smithsonian - Well deserved for all.

'A mighty bit of flying': Kenn Borek air crews who pulled off daring Antarctic rescue honoured by Smithsonian - Calgary - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kenn-borek-smithsonian-award-1.4046501)

Jet Jockey A4
30th Mar 2017, 16:55
Excellent and well deserved!

albatross
31st Mar 2017, 17:25
Well done that crew!