PDA

View Full Version : Sat/Sun 29/30 jun

stiknruda
28th Jun 2002, 17:41
Am aware that it is very short notice but I can thoroughly recommend the aerial extravaganza at Old Buckenham, tomorrow and Sunday.

Mustang and Harvard formation displays, aerobatics from Sukhois, Yaks, Beagle Pups, tigers and Turbs. The Halfpenny Green Russian in the YAK52 on Sunday, too.

Give Touchdown a call and book a slot.

Paul Layzell, the owner is on 07785 396457

Enjoy

Stik

:D :D

distaff_beancounter
29th Jun 2002, 16:42
Managed to drop in for a couple of hours & a cup of coffee this morning.

There was a fantastic number of classic taildraggers arriving, including 2 Mustangs, 3 Harvards, 4 Turbs, & 5 Boeing Stearmans, which parked in an impressive line-up, just in front of the club house.

Martin Shaw (the actor) looked delectable in his flying suit, & his own Stearman looked equally delectable, in its livery of dark blue fusalage & yellow wings, of a US Army trainer.

Its no good ...... I really must book myself a tailgragger refresher course on a Stearman (not flown one yet, but saving the pennies) Now, if Martin Shaw was an instructor .....Oh well a girl can dream .. ;)

Old Buckenham is doing it all again tomorrow, so I would strongly recommend it to anyone who can get there by air, or road. If flying in, telephone first, to check when to arrive to avoid the aerobatic displays.

stiknruda
30th Jun 2002, 18:58
Pitched up today and was treated to a plethora of quality aerial displays.

Genna in the YAK52 was very impressive as was Will Curtis in the Alpine sponsored Pitts S2C.

Warbirds generally don't do it for me but Angie Soper's YAK 11 was awesome.

Suggest that you all diarise it in advance next year!

Stik

formationfoto
30th Jun 2002, 20:44
Was there all day Saturday taking pics and generally excellent day. Agree with Stik Will Curtis in the Pitts trying to emulate his SU26 display was excellent and the Cessna team from Coventry deserve a mention for being prepared to stand alongside the pros and put up a good display of what the cub pilot can manage in (very) average kit.
This was a charity weekend and thanks must be given to all those who contributed their displays for free but special mention for the guy who wakes me up with the roar of his Merlin passing over the end of my garden. Maurice Hammond from Hardwick twisted a few arms and, along with, Rob Davies, did an excellent job of putting both Harvard and Mustang through their paces.
Gerry Honey deserves the last but one mention for organising a safe display and managing the Stearman team. Finally top marks to Paul Layzell for commiting Old Buckenham to this charity event. See you there next year.

FormationFlyer
1st Jul 2002, 10:40
A word from the Coventry Foxtrot Formation Team!

Thanks! ..Hope fully some of you PPLs will feel inspired!

The a/c (apart from the leader) are standard club fleet - all rented by those involved!

Glad you found it interesting!

Regards,
FF

alphaalpha
1st Jul 2002, 18:51
I went on Sunday. It was a excellent day out and a free landing as well!

I didn't see the Coventry Foxtrot Formation team, though, presumably they were only at Old Buck on Saturday. Shame, it would have been interesting to see what can be done with ordinary club aircraft.

Thanks for the suggestion, Stik.

formationfoto
2nd Jul 2002, 20:07
Formation Flyer
Having done plenty of formation with varying types i know the difficulty of keeping a formation of underpowered aircraft tight on a blustery day. The line abreast looked quite good to me and the photos taken from the ground show that all were in line. Obviously the turns took a bit of pulling back into formation but a great job and congrats to all. I don't know whether PILOT has ever done a story on the team but I will suggest it to the editor shortly. We can't all get hold of mustangs and the like and both the Tiger club team and your efforts made the Old Buck display all the better and an improvement on the normal hardware demonstrations.

FormationFlyer
9th Jul 2002, 16:27
formationfoto

Cheers!