PDA

View Full Version : Temporary ATZ

chevvron
2nd Jun 2016, 10:53
ATZ established at Epsom Racecourse on 3 & 4 Jun , times 0900 - 1900 UTC.
2nm rad, surface to 2,475 ft amsl (heliport elevation 475ft)
Contact frequency 121.175 c/s 'Epsom Tower'.

Krzyku
5th Oct 2017, 08:23
Hi Chevvron.
I wanted to contact you privately, but I couldn't so let me ask you a thing in this thread.
There was a discussion (an old thread) at pprune archive index.php t-406089 html (sorry for the link, but I have not enough posts here to give a link)

You said:
chevvron
18th Feb 2010, 12:05

Wick [...]
...in the UK at least you can do APP procedural combined with tower, or with approach radar, but you can NOT do twr and radar combined. Use of an Aerodrome Traffic Monitor (mini radar display)(ATM - previously called a DFTI) is not classed as Approach Radar and you are severely limited what you can use it for.

Why can NOT do twr and radar combined, is it still like that? What was the regulation that did not allow to do TWR and APS and APP at the same time by one man?

Thanks

chevvron
5th Oct 2017, 13:25
The situation in the UK has changed now. The UK Civil Aviation Authority would not permit the provision of a radar service eg vectoring for ILS by the person responsible for aerodrome control even though they had ratings for both ADI and APS in 2010.
They have conditionally relaxed this rule now and will allow some airfields to use the tower controller to vector for the ILS using the ATM however this must be approved by the CAA after a 'safety case' has been submitted and of course, the tower controller must have an APS rating. This may be because the airfield is not busy all day, or just during less busy periods.

welkyboy
5th Oct 2017, 16:09
Southampton often do this....