PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2016 French Airspace Restrictions

Baldegret
31st May 2016, 13:50
Notams in France for the period of Euro 2016 show many restrictions such as this one for Lyons TMA:

RESTRICTIONS OF USE DURING EURO 2016:
- VFR FORBIDDEN WITHIN TMA LYON CLASS C D TMA
- VFR FORBIDDEN WITHIN CTR SAINT ETIENNE
EXCEPT AUTHORIZED ACFT

These TMAs are huge swathes of airspace. Is it reasonable to assume that a radio call to Lyons (in this case) will result in the necessary authorisation?

dublinpilot
31st May 2016, 15:19
Is it reasonable to assume that a radio call to Lyons (in this case) will result in the necessary authorisation?

I would doubt it, unless you have good reason to need to go there (eg arriving to an airfield in the area).

It says "authorised aircraft" rather than "with ATC clearance". If it was as simple getting a clearance, then on NOTAM would be needed, as the class C & D airspace requires that anyway.

Baldegret
31st May 2016, 18:00
Thanks DP. That makes sense. Sounds like we're going to be ducking below it then whenever necessary.

ch.ess
31st May 2016, 21:11
if the strike and the increasingly difficulty to get avgas goes on for much longer,
then the restrictions are obsolete :-)
i hear of quite a few people having issues to re-fuel at some airfields

Alfred0
13th Jun 2016, 20:16
Am I correct in understanding that essentially no private flying is permitted anywhere within the huge multiple Restricted Areas ( some 100nm + in diameter) for the duration of the competition I.e. most of France for the next month?
In addition, has anyone recent information on the current availability of Avgas to visitors in the Loire region?

DaveW
13th Jun 2016, 22:54
Alfred0, you may be being misled by the way in which automated representations of NOTAMs in e.g. RunwayHD and SkyDemon are forced to show the extent of the restrictions.

For example, the current NOTAM circle of around 70+nm around Bordeaux greatly overemphasises the actual extent of the lower altitude airspace actually affected; much of the TMA affected is at higher than typical GA altitudes but a simple circle drawn using the info in the NOTAM has to include it.. You have to also look at the (several) French AIP SUP documents called up in that NOTAM to see that in fact the affected areas are much less than the circular depiction implies. Also, not all of that airspace is active at the same time, or on all days.

This is not the fault of the Navigation program suppliers - it's down to a 'one size fits all' NOTAM from the French authorities.

The AIP SUP docs referenced in these NOTAMs can be found here (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/asp/frameset_fr.asp?m=1).

Alfred0
14th Jun 2016, 08:59
Alfred0, you may be being misled by the way in which automated representations of NOTAMs in e.g. RunwayHD and SkyDemon are forced to show the extent of the restrictions.

For example, the current NOTAM circle of around 70+nm around Bordeaux greatly overemphasises the actual extent of the lower altitude airspace actually affected; much of the TMA affected is at higher than typical GA altitudes but a simple circle drawn using the info in the NOTAM has to include it.. You have to also look at the (several) French AIP SUP documents called up in that NOTAM to see that in fact the affected areas are much less than the circular depiction implies. Also, not all of taht airspace is active at the same time, or all at the same time.

This is not the fault of the Navigation program suppliers - it's down to a 'one size fits all' NOTAM from the French authorities.

The AIP SUP docs referenced in these NOTAMs can be found here (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/asp/frameset_fr.asp?m=1).

Dave, Many thanks for your reply, had suspected as much, confirmed by SkyDemon, but had hoped an easier way of identifying the areas than researching each AIP SUP. Your answer gives hope, just have to do as you suggest- thanks again.

Amidoo
14th Jun 2016, 09:58
I would refer to the NOTAMS DaveW linked to as well as the Sup AIP available on the same website.

I fly out of LFMH and we are only forbidden of flying on specific days, so afaik vfr in StEtienne CTR is not forbidden all the time.

@ Alfred0 avgas is available at LFMH within the stipulated hours, or with PPR if not, on Sunday you would need a Total card. I see quite a few foreign registered aircraft stop by every once in a while. The folks around here will usually try to accommodate visitors, and there is also the flying club which can help out. LFMH is not as busy as the rest of the Loire similar sized airports.