PDA

View Full Version : Standard RT...or not!

fireflybob
28th May 2016, 22:29
Some of the RT one hears is pretty appalling these days but not just from aircraft.

Call a local military airfield today which gives us an excellent service for a basic service and ATC reply "State position, heading and altitude" rather than "Pass your message" which confuses student. Then later we get asked "What's your destination?". Don't get me wrong I realise one size does not always fit all and there is sometimes a need to be flexible but...!

Also much confusion from another a/c when LARS say "Advise XXXX in sight, happy to change". Why not just say "Advise XXXX in sight"?

Then a couple of weeks ago a local civil ATC calls and says "Leaving XXXX airspace, squawk 7000, advise going enroute (which is a military expression) and student says "What does than mean?".

That's before we mention the verbal diarrhoea on the local A/G frequency both from a/c and the A/G operator, latter trying to macro manage the situation and providing (and some a/c seem to be expecting) a pseudo control service.

Rant mode OFF!

Whopity
29th May 2016, 06:01
Some years ago following an accident where a landing aircraft at Northolt finished up in the middle of the A40, it was recognised that there were 5 different RT standards practiced within UK airspace.
CAP413
ICAO
UK Military
NATO
NATO Europe
Then later we get asked "What's your destination?"I recall Birmingham ask my American student: "What is you point of departure?"; the student did not understand so the controller rephrased it, "Where do you come from?" whereupon the student replied: "Colorado" !

Big Pistons Forever
29th May 2016, 19:05
I read Pilot magazine every month and every month the accidents section has reports of bent airplanes caused by a profound lack of fundamental flying skills including busted off nose wheels after wheel barrowing, loss of directional control when landing/takeoff in a crosswind, runway over runs after a too fast too high approach, engine failures due to carb icing etc etc

I would suggest that maybe more time should be spent on emphasizing basic flying skills and less on radio pedantry.

The test of a good radio call: " was useful information transmitted in a logical and efficient way "

The four "W's" works for just about every possible radio transmission

Who: are you talking to
Who: are you ( ie your cal sign )
Where: are you
What: do you want or what are your intentions.

fireflybob
29th May 2016, 20:11
I would suggest that maybe more time should be spent on emphasizing basic flying skills and less on radio pedantry.

I agree and I do!!

BigEndBob
30th May 2016, 07:30
I know they are trying to be efficient but MATZ penetration ATC initial reply;
"G-XX squawk 1234 QNH/QFE 1034 pass your details"

Why not pass your details then give squawk and QNH/QFE.
Would help keep things standard.
Because next they start asking what your position, height etc all non standard.

foxmoth
3rd Jun 2016, 14:09
If you set the squawk then can then start looking for you while you give your details - and if you give your details properly they will not need to then ask you for your position, height etc because you have told them that!

BigEndBob
9th Jun 2016, 21:10
The problem is it's ok for a experienced pilot that can reach across and set a squawk, but for a student that may write the squawk down, then reach across to set, then fiddle with the altimeter, all the time there's radio silence where everyone is waiting to hear a reply.

Or read back the squawk and pressure, then standard reply, then set squawk...what time has been saved, especially when given a shared squawk.

If anyone remembers the Upper Heyford method, seemed to work well.
Call, given squawk.....pause, then just asked destination, everything else was seen on the screen.
I think they could tell we weren't a F111.

parkfell
13th Jun 2016, 19:09
UK pilots need look no further than CAP413 as the definitive document.

When FIs revalidate / renewal this would be the opportunity to discuss best practice.

FIEs need to be punctilious and preferably be up to the standard required to conduct the R/T test. I would exempt ex ATCOs ��

Perhaps a visit to ATC / ACC and plug in for a while?

There will no doubt be other suggestions as to how the standard can be raised.

"OVER AND OUT"

Whopity
14th Jun 2016, 08:15
FIEs need to be punctilious and preferably be up to the standard required to conduct the R/T test.Only RTF Examiners are qualified and authorised to conduct RT Tests! And our now disfunctional CAA has totally lost control of that function!

Dan Dare
14th Jun 2016, 13:11
parkfell,

I took your advice and looked in CAP413 (I highly recommend it!), but "over and out" confused me.

OUT - This exchange of transmissions is ended and no response is expected.
OVER - My transmission is ended and I expect a response from you.

So which one one is it?

parkfell
14th Jun 2016, 13:58
"Over & out" is a contradiction in terms as you have alluded to. Even a joke on my part perhaps?

It was however still being heard by those flying from Blackpool in the 1970s.
Clearly the teaching of RT procedures (then based on CAP46) had a lot to be desired.

I think I said FIEs in essence need to be competent, and not that a FIE qualification automatically confers RTF examiners authority? Although some I know are dual qualified.