PDA

View Full Version : Flight plan Field 7

PaulJahn
27th May 2016, 16:51
Hi,

what should you enter in the IFR flight plan on item 7 (aircraft identification) if your callsign is different from the flight number? For example if the flight number is DL1234, and the callsign is DL73RG, which one do you take?
From what I checked online, you rather would enter the callsign.. If this is the case, is the flight number then entered somewhere else (i.e. item 18: other information), so that the controller knows your flight number as well?

Regards

confused atco
27th May 2016, 17:48
Flight number is of no concern to ATC.

Field 7 is for the aircraft identification that you propose to use when you wish to avail of an ATC service.

DaveReidUK
27th May 2016, 17:48
Hi,

what should you enter in the IFR flight plan on item 7 (aircraft identification) if your callsign is different from the flight number? For example if the flight number is DL1234, and the callsign is DL73RG, which one do you take?
From what I checked online, you rather would enter the callsign.. If this is the case, is the flight number then entered somewhere else (i.e. item 18: other information), so that the controller knows your flight number as well?

Why does the controller need to know your flight number when it's your callsign they will be using to address you?

2 sheds
28th May 2016, 17:19
"Flight number"; "Callsign" -

But then the FPL refers to "Identification" - which is why the guy asked!

2 s

DaveReidUK
29th May 2016, 09:22
"Flight number"; "Callsign" -

But then the FPL refers to "Identification" - which is why the guy asked!In case of any residual confusion:

Item 7

AIRCRAFT IDENTIFICATION (maximum 7 characters)

This consists of the aircraft registration letters or the company designator followed by the flight number which are to be used by air traffic services for radiotelephony communication and coordination.

This field can be filled in in one of the following ways:

a) aircraft registration when:
- in radiotelephony, the call sign to be used by the aircraft will consist of this identification alone (Example: DAGXC or N137DK)
- preceded by the ICAO telephony designator for the aircraft operating agency (Example: SMALL-AIRLINE DAGXC)
- the aircraft is not equipped with radio;

b) operating agency and flight number: ACA123, KLM672, BAW74W, etc.

c) tactical call sign (usually military): BRUNO12, SWIFT45, RED1, etc. Flight Plan Filling - SKYbrary Aviation Safety (http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Flight_Plan_Filling#Item_7)

"Flight number" here means of course the ICAO Doc 8585 three-letter operating agency designator followed by either a numeric or alphanumeric (ie the ATC callsign, also the Mode S ACID) and not the one starting with the two-character IATA designator that's typically used on tickets and departure screens. ATC normally have no interest in the latter.