PDA

View Full Version : Friendly IFR approaches

300hrWannaB
21st May 2016, 22:57
A list of simple suggestions please. I know that this will be UK biased, because many other locations benefit from blue skies. But please be kind to us murk-grovelers, and avoid gloating. We do have passports and sometime have the opportunity to aviate in what we deem to be "different" air.

I have heard that Belgium requires specific airborne equipment to be carried, even for VFR.

this is my username
22nd May 2016, 08:41
This one?

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1605/pdf/00678R16.PDF

Jan Olieslagers
22nd May 2016, 10:39
I have heard that Belgium requires specific airborne equipment to be carried, even for VFR.

Yes, indeed: wings, empennage, certain instruments...
Engines, landing gear and ballistics are optional, though.

Or what did you mean? :)

Dark Helmet
23rd May 2016, 08:18
Not too sure what you mean by friendly: easy to fly or easy to talk to?

Deauville (LFRG) have a variety of approaches and give a great service. Highly recommended.

riverrock83
25th May 2016, 17:27
Indeed - what are you looking for? Are you worried about places which require booking for practice approaches, or there will be a charge?
Prestwick are friendly & accommodating.

JSAG
25th May 2016, 19:27
Farnborough will give you practice ILS and SRA approaches for free. They are friendly and accommodating if jet traffic allows. I've just completed my IMC with the use of their facilities.

piperboy84
25th May 2016, 22:19
Here's an unfriendly one

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1605/05222VDTZ15.PDF

Sir Niall Dementia
30th May 2016, 08:27
Had to renew my rotary IR a couple of weeks ago, we had a corporate job first, into Battersea and almost no ILS in the south of the UK pointing the right way that day due to the easterly wind. Called Luton as we would have to fly through their zone on the way to base, they were great. Radar vectored ILS (single engine) missed approach out to the north to go and do the rest of it at base. All for £110.

I will add that we were mighty lucky, our time coincided with their slack half hour at lunchtime and they had space and time for us. I think they were a bit surprised to get 145kt to the numbers from a helicopter, but it kept everything going smoothly.

SND

Jan Olieslagers
30th May 2016, 10:59
145kt to the numbers from a helicopter

wow! that's almost double my cruise speed! what helicopter is that?

(asking out of sheer curiosity: it is bad enough to be bimbling the country and get overtaken by a high speed train below, as happened to me a couple of weeks ago near EBAV Avernas - if helicopters too are overtaking me there will be not fun left at all in this flying hobby! )