PDA

View Full Version : ID cards

fujii
20th May 2016, 06:19
In Australia Private pilots are required to wear an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASID) if at a secure airport otherwise have an Aviation Identity Card (AVID). The ASIC costs over $200 and lasts two years. Renewal also requires submission of identification documents, photo, birth certificate, passport etc even though there may be no change.

It it the same in your country?

Fly4Business
20th May 2016, 06:38
I did not count how many Security ID cards I carry in my case, but there are many. It is the same everywhere.

The_Pink_Panther
20th May 2016, 10:46
There's no national requirement in the UK, although any customs airport will require some form of airside ID pass.

Genghis the Engineer
20th May 2016, 11:14
I have a drawer full of them, from the UK, India, USA, Switzerland....

I've certainly never paid much more than around $20 for one however, nor come across a national scheme - it's always per airport or per company.

G

TheOddOne
20th May 2016, 12:37
In the UK, thankfully, NO!

As there is no photo ID on UK-issued flying licences, we are required to carry some form of photo ID. I use my OAP bus pass as ID on internal passenger flights in the UK, no-one has said 'no' so I guess that's enough:) I do carry my photo ID driving licence as well, just in case.

As far as I'm aware, the UKCAA don't carry out background checks before issuing a pilot licence (as least I hope they'd tell the individual before doing so). It's up to the schools to raise any doubts they may have about a student, but we're not trained profilers. Any licence application has to be accompanied by a scan of a valid ID (there's a list, including passport or driving licence). This has to be certified by a CAA-recognised official at the school so the CAA rely on the school to vouch for the identity of the applicant. We don't charge any extra for this process.

Some major airports sell photo IDs to PPLs based at the airport, to be used airside, but usually they're site-specific and have no value at other airports.

All this seems entirely adequate, some aviation agencies seem to be way over the top...

TOO

Joe'le'Toff
20th May 2016, 12:59
Depends on the airport. I need to buy an airside pass every two years and every time I renew it I have to re-submit all the previous documents and undergo a fresh criminal background check. I also need to re-sit an online airside security exam which asks the same questions every two years.

Costs around a couple of hundred quid each time.

tmmorris
20th May 2016, 13:19
AOPA offer one but it seems pricey to me. I don't know if anyone actually uses one. I always have photo ID anyway.

Fly4Business
20th May 2016, 17:14
If you base your aircraft on a controlled airport, especially an airport with customs or similar, international security rules demand some kind of security check for your frequent visits to a "secured aviation area" and an access ID on the basis of that security check. If you are just visiting, they have to perform a higher level security check - so the theory. If you are based on an uncontrolled airfield, in some countries you are not bothered with security checks, while in other countries you collect quite some ID cards ;-) (just had a look in the case and found 6 different cards for Germany alone).

abgd
20th May 2016, 19:20
As far as I'm aware, the UKCAA don't carry out background checks before issuing a pilot licence (as least I hope they'd tell the individual before doing so).
I had a long interview with special branch during my training in Inverness, though they told me this was because I'd been seen walking to the airport and buying vegetables at the local supermarket*.

On a serious note, I suspect we're on their radar. A colleague of mine was overheard talking about his brother being under fire in Yemen - not a militant of any persuasion, just what happens if you are unfortunate enough to live next to the airport. He spent half a day with them and said they knew absolutely everything about him.

*OK, the second part is made up.

JOE-FBS
21st May 2016, 10:04
It always strikes me as hilarious how many times before visiting a major airport to do an aircraft survey my passport has been copied, scanned, emailed and various other insecure copies made. All in the interests of security.

Glasgow_Flyer
22nd May 2016, 12:05
In Australia Private pilots are required to wear an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASID) if at a secure airport otherwise have an Aviation Identity Card (AVID).

Fujji - I don't think there is a requirement to have either unless operating out of a secured airport - see CASR 61.420 (only requirement is to carry approved form of photo i.d. like a drivers licence)