PDA

View Full Version : Thames Radar SEN arrivals

EGMC
18th May 2016, 15:23
Hi All,
I am an SEN based pilot operating A319.
Could I get some guidance on the best profile to fly for most expedition please?

The GEGMU arrivals from the south are a bit of a sight-seeing tour and I understand the purposes of point merge arrivals, but what are the key levels to get beneath in order to be given the nudges to the left (shortcuts).

If it's not busy, and especially using runway 05 I try to ask for directs from the previous London sector, which I understand required co-ordination... I feel a bit nagging asking if its every day.

It would help to understand the key airspace levels/ Standing agreements and what the conflicting traffic streams are generally trying to achieve as well.

Is it possible to see an image of the sector... or is that not allowed?
Hope you can help

The Many Tentacles
20th May 2016, 15:36
I don't do the Thames radar sectors, but the best way to understand it would be to trundle down and visit us. It's a lot easier to explain when you're sat in front of a radar screen and we can show you why you end up where you are.

I appreciate if you're based in Southend it's a bit of a hike, but have a look at the thread in Rumours and News about coming down for Truce training and you might well get the petrol paid....and lunch....after a fashion.

Vortex Issues
20th May 2016, 19:52
The GEGMU arrivals from the south are a bit of a sight-seeing tour and I understand the purposes of point merge arrivals, but what are the key levels to get beneath in order to be given the nudges to the left (shortcuts)

The level you arrive in to the Thames sector from the south (FL80) is sufficient for giving you a short cut. The problem we have is getting you though all the London City and Biggin Hill inbounds.

I personally will always try to give you a RHD circuit when 05 is in use however as already stated it is dependent on what other aircraft are around. The issue with getting you direct to GEGMU is that there is a whopping great danger area (Shoeburyness) in the way.

This link (http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-B29DF42E480325D2E8FB6FA17FBA037F/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGLC_7-13_en_2016-02-04.pdf) gives you an idea of the airspace and routes.

The video via this link (http://www.nats.aero/news/newsbrief/janfeb-2016/lamp-phase-1a-airspace-change-now-live/) may also help.

zonoma
20th May 2016, 21:26
There is very little you can do to help yourself before NETVU, Area Control Sector 18 descend you to FL140 level by and then transfer you to Terminal Control (TC), Godlu Sector. Any early left turns off the STAR need coordinating with TC Timba, TC Godlu are normally sitting adjacent to TC Timba and during quieter moments, the same controller can even be controlling both sectors together, so it is far easier for the coordination to be made. Sector 18 will be aiming to transfer you to TC Godlu as early as possible, however they have to wait until around 10nm before NETVU to ensure you are within the radar range of the TC Godlu controller. Hope that helps explain it a little down that part of the Channel Tour.