PDA

View Full Version : Newmarket crash

biped
27th Jun 2002, 22:54
On the news today was a report about an a/c accident at newmarket 2 years ago in which the pilot died and two jockeys were injured.
One of the jockeys is apparently sueing the wife of the dead pilot and the company operating the a/c.
Can anyone shed any light on the circumstances of the accident or the findings of the AAIB?
Condolences!

newswatcher
28th Jun 2002, 07:36
See:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57854

bookworm
28th Jun 2002, 11:06
AAIB bulletin report (http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/bulletin/feb01/gbmnt.htm)

Piper Warrior Pilot
28th Jun 2002, 14:52
A pilot who sacrificed his life to save those of his passengers, putting all of his skills into action on that day

Hasnt his wife got enough to do with getting over the incident without ungrateful jockeys bringing it all back to her 2 years later.

The jockey should be paying the pilots wife not sueing her.

canberra
28th Jun 2002, 17:30
the jockey who is suing had to retire due to the injury, therefore he probably has no choice. mention was made of the pilots bravery, i cant comment on that but ray cochrane(the guy who is suing) was awarded the queens commendation for brave conduct. can people in the aviation realise that litigation is the way of the world , unfortunately. if this accident had happened in the states i dread to think how much he would be asking for in damages.

Dave T-S
28th Jun 2002, 18:01
A bad bit of reporting, as usual.....

This is an insurance issue. Ray Cochrane's legal people will almost certainly be claiming against the pilot's liability insurers, not his wife.

All pretty standard stuff, but it will sell more papers to say they are suing the pilot's wife (who my condolences go to).

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but just wish the media would get their facts right:rolleyes:

bookworm
29th Jun 2002, 14:49
I couldn't help but notice that this was a 'Private' flight. Presumably then the pilot was not only heroic but also extremely generous, carrying his jockey mates around for free. ;)

Or am I missing the point?

biped
2nd Jul 2002, 18:42
Cheers for the links all!:)