PDA

View Full Version : What really get's your Goat

LPL
27th Jun 2002, 20:14
There are three, ' things, phrases or comments' that really make me wanna scream (or worse), whenever I hear them........

One is the word, SPAMCAN

Second is when a somebody says " WHERE'S THE PARACHUTE"

Three "IT'S A GET YOU OUT OF TROUBLE RATING " ( IMC )

What are other Ppruner's little pet hates ?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AerBabe
27th Jun 2002, 20:16
"Where's the pilot?" Commonly heard by us girlies. :rolleyes:

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jun 2002, 20:16
"It's only a microlight"

"But we've always done it this way"

"Why can't I just risk my own life"

G

PFLsAgain
27th Jun 2002, 20:25
"No but seriously, you can't really fly can you."

Why do they never say that to fellahs!
:mad:

The Greaser
27th Jun 2002, 20:37
All cliche's and unnecessary abbreviations.

Fujiflyer
27th Jun 2002, 20:57
Pilots that say "over" on the RT even though it is obvious a reply is expected - :rolleyes:

stiknruda
27th Jun 2002, 21:30
Only one thing gets my goat - AND 99.9% of the time, I let it go, purely for my own sanity:

plane

it is not a Łucking plane, IT IS AN AEROPLANE!

I don't even mind airplane when flying in the States. I quite enjoy biplane, canard, pusher or any other specific descriptor but I hate "plane".

Had Aerbabe been a swamp donkey she would have had the lecture face to face last Friday:)

Plane's are used by carpenters (shame about Karen!:D ) pilots and passengers fly in aeroplanes!

Most of my buddies, the BBC news crews, young instructors utilise this bastardization of aeroplane.

I feel outnumbered, my wife tells me to lighten up but standards must be upheld and aeroplane is the true and correct appelation!

Sermon over

Stik

Flyswift
27th Jun 2002, 22:46
" ....are they REALLY safe.... ?? "

28thJuly2001
27th Jun 2002, 23:08
"You pay HOW MUCH a hour? I could get drunk for that much."

"THEM:-So when are you taking me up?
ME:-How about tomorrow?
THEM:-ummm arrrrr (thinks of an excuse)"

"Hello Biggles. AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH"

Walt,,

sickBocks
27th Jun 2002, 23:19
To me (FI)

"So didn't you want to be a real pilot"

I left before it got boring/nasty

sB

Oh yeah, my other favourite analisms include:

"PIN Number"
"ATM Machine"
etc

slim_slag
28th Jun 2002, 01:51
Whats wrong with 'spamcan'?

djk
28th Jun 2002, 06:40
having landed somewhere and passenger sees an airliner jet pass overhead and says "oh look, there's a real plane" :rolleyes:

Evo7
28th Jun 2002, 06:45
I'm with stik on this one....

Mayday1215
28th Jun 2002, 06:46
To me (FI)

"So you are pilot, eh? Which airline you work for?"

Who has control?
28th Jun 2002, 07:14
Evo & Stik (sorry guys, couldn't resist it)
are absolutely correct.

I hate "'copter" for "helicopter". If it must be shortened, use 'chopper' or 'helo'.

Evo7
28th Jun 2002, 07:15
<groan> :rolleyes: :)

FormationFlyer
28th Jun 2002, 12:40
Um...

RT
~~~~
life stories...on a busy day

Military controllers who insist on using the term 'wait' (standby or hold? it means standby apparrently - they get nervous about heavies on short final for no apparrent reason - good job they dont work at heathrow...)

the call 'finals' - 1. you do it once. 2. RTFM - CAP413 quite clearly states 'Final' - cant understand why its debated when its so clear...

:mad: :mad: :mad: 'IMC is a get of of trouble rating' (For those that say this - please read the ANO for once in your lives...) - As an IR rated pilot I find this snobbery intolerable.

Other stuff....
~~~~~~~~~~~
One-up manship and snide remarks/name calling from one fraction of aviation about another i.e. microlighters vs light a/c vs gliders vs airline etc etc vice versa....we are all trained pilots all with a 'right' to fly in the same airspace - it is not the aircraft you fly that makes you a danger - its bad airmanship - and this occurs on ALL sides. Having come from microlights to being a light a/c instructor, still enjoying all forms of aviation I find the coments both puzzling and frustrating - as 95% of these people make these remarks having never experienced these other forms of aviation at all.

lack of female pilots - i would like to see the image of the industry changed to be one of equality rather than its current 'shauvanistic'/male dominated taint - after all Im male and dont want to be tarred with a brush that is not of my chosing...

:mad: :mad: :mad: The fact that as an instructor everyone assumes I am hours building...i may be en-route to the airlines but instructing means far far more than that to me - and to be honest this is the one that hurts me/irritates me the most - I give instructing 110% - I hate having that effort devalued. Yep some may be doing it for the wrong reasons - that doesnt mean we all are...I for one will be instructing for the rest of my life irrespective of the day job...

Yeah...cool..thats off my chest now! :D

FF

bcfc
28th Jun 2002, 13:04
Giving ????? 110%

Only footballers achieve this mathmatically impossible state

(sorry FF :p )

FormationFlyer
28th Jun 2002, 14:43
:D
no problem.
Its mathematically calculated in the same way that unit trusts are invested using 105% of your money. :D

:confused:

LOL

knobbygb
28th Jun 2002, 14:50
bcfc

Don't know if the 'b' stands for Birmingham or Bradford. Either way, don't see how you'd know anything about footballers giving 110%:p

FNG
28th Jun 2002, 14:52
Agree with the Stik and Evo (there, resisted it): a plane is a device for removing excess timber (although it has been pointed out on here before that when I crash into the trees my machine is likely to remove the upper layers of wood).

Generally, assumption by people who know zip about flying that someone who has taken a long course of training and is approved to fly by a serious regulator like the CAA (in other words, a PPL) must be dangerous.

notmemorable
28th Jun 2002, 15:08
Like FNG, I find it annoying when people (usually women for some reason, but not always) seem to think that flying light aircraft proves that I have a deathwish. Yet it´s these same people who think nothing of riding a bicycle in London - surely the most dangerous thing I can imagine! Verging on folly, really.

Aside from that, how about people who insist on using apostrophes when they write in the plural(eg. " I´ve got a lovely bunch of coconut's."

And whilst we´re about it, how about that infestation of people that you see on so many discussion forums who can´t differentiate between "lose" and "loose"?

That feels better!

Whirlybird
28th Jun 2002, 16:02
"Oh, do you fly?" usually said after I've been talking aviation for about half an hour non-stop (yes, a variation on a theme for female pilots, I know).

A/G operators who think they can order you around.

"I think you're wonderful" - a very backhanded compliment; they don't think male pilots doing the same thing are wonderful do they?

Pilots who have a long lazy conversation to tell the A/G operator they're there, at 5000 ft above a small airfield, when I'm on final in deteriorating weather and would like to tell someone.

Student pilots who know next to nothing about flying helicopters, who think I'm talking nonsense when I say the R22 flies better if I've got a passenger as I'm so close to the minimum solo weight.

F/w pilots who think they're better than helicopter pilots, and vice versa.

People who assume that if I fly helicopters I must be married to someone rich, and since I'm single, who on earth is paying for it.

Well, that'll do, or you might think I spend all my time getting annoyed. :D

bcfc
28th Jun 2002, 16:36
Knobby - its Brum and fair comment :D

Another dislike is Whizz-Wheel. Its neither whizzy nor a wheel and mine in confined to the bottom of the flightbag having given way to an electronic E6B from sportys. Anyone use a slide rule and not a calculator these days?...thought not.

Looks like a cracking weekend. Perranporth here I come... :cool:

FatBoyFlyer
28th Jun 2002, 16:37
Pilots who start every transmission with "And......"

"Reading you STRENGTH 5"

"The aircraft was seen to crash after the engine stalled."
and
Referring to every control surface as "Flaps" (Journos please note)

Bossy A/G operators who say "report final(s)"

"I think he puts jet fuel in that car!" (what, parrafin?)

There are so many more.

FBF

gus_honeybun
28th Jun 2002, 17:02
grrrrr.

in no particular order

personal (sic) stereos on trains and tubes
oh, and people chewing gum like demented heifers
add to that people who treat trains and tube as their private picnic ground.
plus, numpty old codgers driving at 60 mph in the middle lane of an empty motorway.
and lorries that take 3 days to overtake other lorries because they are doing 0.1mph more than the yorkie bar in front.
not forgetting plebs that decide that the top(bottom) of the escalator is the perfect place to stop and chat, adjust their shoelace, look gormless whilst a large pile of people accumulates in a heap behind them

and worst of all are excessively negative people. :D

SteveR
28th Jun 2002, 18:34
What really get's your Goat

Mostly, people using using apostrophes in the wrong places....(especially in a thread title).

Plane's are used by carpenters

Leaving aside stik's appalling misuse of an apostrophe, (which I fondly believe may be ironic, but consider the subject far too serious for levity), I'm with him.

Oh, and putting an 's' onto the word final.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jun 2002, 19:12
Serious question, I get as p(*&d off at apostraphe abuse as the next person with an O'level in English, but see it so regularly on anything from the USA. Is American English subtly different in its use of the apostrophe, or are they just all crap at spelling?

Concur on "call finals", "plane". I have known people call anything with wings a "jet", which is probably only acceptable if you really are or have been a fighter pilot.

G

TheKentishFledgling
28th Jun 2002, 20:55
Yup, since knowing Stik, I've been with him on the whole "plane" thing. It now really annoys me when I hear "Ed, there's a plane up there" or similar!

People calling me Biggles / Bigglesworth. Mainly, as they've no idea who Biggles was! (And try asking about Captain W.E. Johns........:D)

People asking why I enjoy flying is another annoying thing....it's inexplainable really!

And of course, that feeling you get when you know you're not going to be able to get airborne for a while :mad:

tKF, hoping to fly this w/e

paulo
28th Jun 2002, 22:13
Pedants about the 'plane' thing.

Picture the hypothetical scene. Stik and I are poling around in, say, an S2A. Bailing rather badly off the top of a stall turn, into an inverted spin...

Me: "Your Plane"
Stik: Completely understands what I'm saying and acts accordingly.

I thank you. :D

stiknruda
28th Jun 2002, 23:18
Sorry Paulo - I'd rather crash and die!:D :D

However, were you to say "You have!" or even "You have control!",

I'd then murmur in a cool pacifying tone, "I have control" and I'd feel masterful as I'd know exectly what was expected of me!:cool:

Stik (apostrophe) split S

BEagle
29th Jun 2002, 06:24
I really hate 'txt msg' yoofspeak used instead of English as well as apostrophe abuse (my phrase!) and i instead of I!!

In aviation? "It's the, err, Birdseed 866, standard via the Park....", squawks which are "coming down", "Golf Bravo Sunny Sunday Cherrytree is err, a err, PA28 140 Charlie routing err, from, err Plebville to, errr, Anytown via the Alfa Bravo Charlie and the Delta Echo Fox, err at 2 towsend 5 hundred, err requesting err radar information and err, over...........CLICK"

camaro
29th Jun 2002, 09:30
Media reporting on air crashes.
It is amazing how they always know what caused the accident two minutes after it happened....and the standard qoute - "the aircraft came down 2 miles from a primary school".:mad:

Also it is assumed that if you fly aeroplanes/helicopters you must be a rich playboy/girl.:rolleyes:

sunnysideup
29th Jun 2002, 10:19
Too tired to think of loads, but......

Cessna 152s (more accurately, the faulty glass in them). Well.. must be 'cause its ALWAYS a 152 that cuts me up in the circuit.

R/T - Agree completely with the necessity to remove the tongues of aviators who put an "S" at the end of "Final" and use the words "over" and "out" and, err.., stammer, err..., a lot.

Airfields who insist on having markets on the day the wind is 20kts straight down the runway that the market is on.

People who clamber aboard Traumahawks in a flying suit with things like "609 Squadron" and "Black Hawk" embroidered all over them.

Tractors on Norfolk roads (I keep a water rifle close to hand).

Caravan owners

The "Cappachino" Revolution. "How would you like your coffee, sir?" "In a f@*&ing cup!".

Chips with Gravy

Extra 300 and Edge 540 owners (just jealous!!!)

People on an empty train who insist on sitting next to me. Hotels that give your booking to someone else. The customers on "Airline". Cilla Black. Fat geezers in spandex. White socks with black shoes. The Daily Mail. Avgas prices. People who think aerobatics are dangerous and done only by idiots. Women at supermarket checkouts for whom the need to find their purse and pay for their shopping with small change always comes as a big surprise. Airfield politics. Saturday noight TV. Insects that sting and bite. The new Met site logging on procedure. Addictive Internet Forums that take up all your time. GPSs. Stone chips in props. JAR-ATPL Theory exams.....

I need a fag..................................................

long final
29th Jun 2002, 10:51
Automated telephone systems - with a passion that hurts.

Baby on Board Stickers :confused: :confused:

LF

englishal
29th Jun 2002, 12:05
The person who boards last for a long haul flight.....the seat next to me happens to be empty and the flight is full, I'm sitting back with a smug grin on my face knowing I'll be able to stretch out and relax....and just before the door is shut, THAT person turns up and plonks themself down next to me....every time

EA:)