PDA

View Full Version : Flying to military airfields

Romeo Romeo
27th Jun 2002, 19:35
Has anyone got any advice about flying to military airfields? There are a few around the Midlands - I've been over them quite a few times and I'm wondering whether it's possible to call in for a cuppa! I've flown from one - Boscombe Down, and that was quite interesting, but I was with an instructor who was based there at the time and he did all the RT.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jun 2002, 20:31
Apart from a few "secret squirrel" type places, it's usually possible to use military airfields if you've got a good reason. Dropping in for a cuppa and a chat is firmly not on the list. A few ground rules for you:-

- PPR 24 hours in advance, regardless of whether you need to or not
- Study the approach plate carefully, including taxi routes
- Be sure you know how to fly a constant aspect circuit
- Be up to date on your marshalling signals, you'll need them
- Be prepared for multiple and rapid frequency changes, and possibly ad-hoc or non-(civvie) standard holds, approaches or joins. Especially if you are flying something slow like, say, a citation :)
- Never, ever, say you are familiar with the field if you are asked, they'll try sending you around some bizarre local route that only the resident pilots know.
- Be aware that the controller will be talking to other aircraft on UHF, so you'll only hear part of what's going on.

Be aware that some of the RT is non-standard, but generally pretty logical. Obvious example, "loud and clear"="readability 5".

G

WorkingHard
27th Jun 2002, 20:40
RR - Best avoided except when necessary. Remember many of these guys and gals live in a very different world from ours. Time and cost etc. is not in their vocabulary BUT the precise wording of every rule in the book is. If you want an example try departing from 1/2 way down a 3000metre runway in say a C150. NO NO NO you must taxi right to the piano keys before starting your take off run. Yes there are very good arguments for this but equally there are reasons to accept a pilots decision where safety is in no way compromised.
Good flying!

Wycombe
27th Jun 2002, 21:38
Workinghard....

You've obviously never flown at Brize, as mid-point intersection departures are the norm for light a/c (oh, and sometimes C130s!).

RR....

Agree with what's been said, though....most Mil controllers have an assertive style... as long as you are confident on the RT, you'll be fine. Just be prepared for some of the abbreviated terms they'll use - "What type of service?" is a favourite one, if you haven't already told them on initial contact.

See you have an IMC, so best fun to be had at Mil fields (although they don't all have them) is the PAR. You fly the aeroplane, someone else tells you where to put it (very accurately)!

stiknruda
27th Jun 2002, 21:43
RR

Think that WorkingHard's post was just a tad "harsh". Intersection departures were available when I was a lad!

As a civvy, I wouldn't chose one as a destination but depending on what you fly, who you fly with and who you know; over the years to come you may be invited in.

Last year was invited back to Cranwell (first time in 20 years and very little change) and also to Coltishall. Same invites arrived this year, too. Obviously behaved myself!

When you get there, as Genghis stated R/t slightly different but nothing too complex. "5x5, to Stud 4 for check"

Stik

Chilli Monster
28th Jun 2002, 06:53
RR

I'm wondering whether it's possible to call in for a cuppa!

I wouldn't bother - if you were able to get one ;) it would be the most expensive one you had. Landing fees are approx £7.50 per half tonne or part thereof, plus VAT, plus the £8.50 insurance casual users fee.

Military airfields are working environments, the whole place is not geared to the casual visitor. If it was a pre-arranged visit somewhere it's a different matter, or if you were just using the place to go somewhere else then fine. But accept the fact that you can't just drop in like you can the standard flying club airfield.

Ok, negativity apart, if you do go to one then just be aware that most of your flying in the MATZ will be on QFE, phraseology is slightly diffferent but still self explanatory (replace the phrase 'What type of Approach' with 'What type of Recovery'). Any other hints or tips you want drop me a line - I did 15 years on that side of the fence as well as knowing your area of the world quite well.

CM

skygazer
28th Jun 2002, 07:55
See you have an IMC, so best fun to be had at Mil fields (although they don't all have them) is the PAR. You fly the aeroplane, someone else tells you where to put it (very accurately)!

- always assuming the PAR hasn't gone u/s :D :D

RotorHorn
28th Jun 2002, 09:56
Flew into RAF Woodvale at Southport (Formby) the other week.

ATC couldn't have been more help. Even when England where half way through a footie match!

Circuit was a bit busy - local University air squadron were out practising circuits in Grobs, and an army sea king was following me in. But no problem whatsoever.

However, as mentioned before landing fees are a bit steep - the R44 I was in cost me £30 (it's less than 1000kg). And there wasn't a cuppa in sight.

But they certainly aren't to be avoided. Especially if you have to divert to one in bad weather. If I were you, I'd ring up a local base well in advance and ask if you can do a couple of landings one day, just in case you get caught out and need the aforementioned diversion....

Established ILS 27L
28th Jun 2002, 10:23
I flew into Shawbury recently but was on company business... I don’t think the cuppa approach will work but if you do have a reason to visit then there is no problem but most stations require 24ppr... Shawbury offered me a PAR with vectors to finals and I know most none station based a/c will normally be given a PAR.. Ground handling was superb but watch out for landing charges... the standard charge it think is around £50 depending on which station. I don't think they are all this expensive... very friendly and professional service...

28th Jun 2002, 12:05
Flew into Cranwell in a PA28 a couple of months ago. Arranged PPR via a very friendly corporal in Ops and was advised to bring my passport as a form of ID. Before I was handed over from Cottesmore Radar (I was getting a RIS), the controller asked "What type of recovery do you require at Cranwell". I had never heard this expression before, but he meant ILS, PAR etc. I opted for visual as viz not too bad - but I got very helpful vectors from ATC anyway. Landing fees were about £34 (would have been £7 more without the MOD Insurance clause). All in all, a great experience.

alphaalpha
28th Jun 2002, 19:36
I flew into half a dozen RAF aerodromes last year on business, all without problem. Yes there are differences in r/t, and yes landing fees are expensive. But you may get ground transport thrown in if its a long hike to wherever you are going on the field. I never had any problems of conflicting with military traffic; the controllers were perfectly happy to slot a C172 in with Nimrods, Hercs and all sorts of hot jets.

This year I have been (for fun) to Yeovilton to see the RNAS museum. I was offered a PAR approach (sorry, recovery) and found it no problem. I was amazed by the size of the radar room, with talkdown, approach, lars, all apparently duplicated. Also been to Cosford, again to visit the Museum, on a brilliant VFR day. Very relaxed and friendly people at both sites.

24 hrs PPR is required, plus proof of Crown Indemnity insurance if you want to avoid the £8.50 + VAT.

However, awareness of other traffic can be a consideration. You can hear some controllers on VHF when they transmit on UHF (but can't hear the aircraft reply); in other cases you can't hear either side of the UHF r/t.

You can buy books of terminal charts used by the RAF covering military and the main civil airfields from:
No 1 AIDU, RAF Northolt. Telephone 020 8833 8209 to get a catalogue, or visit the website [email protected]

Regards