PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide which Airfield to study at?

Richard H
7th May 2016, 15:58
I'm finally in a financial position to undertake PPL training and as far as I can tell I can choose between Sherburn Aero Club, Hull Aero Club or Full Sutton Airfield.

Given the distances from me are about the same, how do I decide which is most appropriate for my needs (just a PPL to start)?

tmmorris
7th May 2016, 17:35
You ask on an internet forum for recommendations... which you're about to get, I hope!

Or, you ask them to put you in touch with satisfied customers.

DON'T PAY UP FRONT unless you can do so with a credit card, in case the company goes bust. I did it and got away with it, but lots haven't.

sapperkenno
7th May 2016, 19:34
Surely York Flying School at Breighton (almost right in the middle of those you mention!) are worth a look too?

TheStudentPilot
7th May 2016, 19:45
I studied at Breighton. Best decision I made, excellent standard and very good pricing.

Genghis the Engineer
8th May 2016, 13:12
Visit them, pay for a trial lesson at each, decide which you feel most comfortable learning at, and which instructor you feel most comfortable sitting next to learning from inside a small metal box for 50 odd hours.

And if, after that, you still aren't sure - go with the cheapest of the good ones.

G

Jan Olieslagers
8th May 2016, 15:48
I agree with GtE (not for the first time ...) : where you learn is rather irrelevant, what plane you learn on is not too important either, though it is nice if you can learn on a plane similar to the one you expect to be eventually flying for yourself.

But the most important is to train with an instructor that suits you. Myself was a slow learner, and took some time and some disappointments to find the required kind soul with sufficient patience.

On a secondary note, though, you might wish to avoid busy aerodromes where one can spend eternities at the threshold, waiting for a take-off clearance, while the Hobbs counters run both on the plane and on the instructor - passing your precious money to no good use.

PS the warning by @tmmorris cannot be over-emphasised! Too many brave students have seen their precious money disappear up that chimney!