PDA

View Full Version : IR Renewal Requirements

Mike Jackson
7th May 2016, 07:08
Good morning

Wonder if anyone in the know can advise regarding IR requirements to commence type rating and/or apply for jobs.

Situation is that I am an experienced jet pilot however have let my 73/77 ratings lapse by approximately 3 years. Considering applying for jobs however not quite sure about what I need to sort out first.

Unfortunately it sounds like due to the length of time of expiry of ratings then by all accounts I need to carry out as good as a full new rating. I am told that to commence a type rating I need a valid IR however this has expired also. Question is will employers consider me with no valid type rating and IR or do I need to get the IR revalidated. Not overly keen on wasting best part of £3000 to renew IR in a small twin considering I haven't flown such a small aircraft for over ten years and would not be looking for employment using MEP IR.

Thanks in advance

Mr Good Cat
7th May 2016, 09:27
Pretty sure you can do a rating without a current IR. The rating will renew your IR in the LST part.

I moved back to the UK after many years overseas with nothing on my licence. At the end of my rating the CAA processed it all with no issues, along with a little discount having flown that type in the distant past (no idea why!).

:ok:

bingofuel
7th May 2016, 12:03
At the moment you only need a valid IR for an initial type rating. As you have held a type rating in the past it is not a requirement however some companies may require it, but I think this is more for junior pilots joining who have never held a type rating. Best to ask the policy from whichever company you plan to apply to.
Renewing a MEP IR is not hard for an experienced pilot, an assessment by an ATO, train as required then test. If you want you can renew the IR without the MEP portion.

Mike Jackson
8th May 2016, 13:34
Thank you both for reply.
I had heard both requirements i.e. need an IR to commence type rating and a vague memory of someone telling me this only being for first IR. Will certainly need to investigate further before I book the MEP IR.
Thanks again.

cessnalover
9th Jun 2016, 11:36
Hello Guys,
I have a EASA license with an IR which expired end of last year.My MEP expired in June 2014.When I spoke to a school they said I have to renew the MEP and IR.Is it compulsory to renew the MEP along with the IR?Can't I just renew the IR?I have been going through the CAP 804 but couldn't find anything.If you can show me the regulation that would be great.
Appreciate the help!