PDA

View Full Version : Flight Time Limitation and Part-Time Instructor

Skipname
2nd May 2016, 22:31
Hi there folks,

I fly for an airline and I want to instruct part-time as well.

Can anyone tell me if the instructor hours count towards the annual limit and if I am required by law to report them to my airline? If so, can you point me to the relevant documents and is there a way around it? I have the days off, not so much the hours. We fly a lot.

Skip

Sleeve Wing
3rd May 2016, 16:45
Skipname.

Have a word with your Fleet Manager first and discuss it.
Some airlines don’t mind p/t. instructing provided it doesn't interfere with your main job.
Later, some might even consider your instructional experience when you apply for a Training post.

I did it with permission but the hours weren’t included in the Airline cap.
Sufficient rest is the key factor. Perhaps you won’t feel like it after a heavy Summer and/or you’ve got a family ?
Maybe just fly enough instructional hours to maintain your F.I Rating ?

SpannerInTheWerks
3rd May 2016, 23:36
Have a word with your Fleet Manager first and discuss it.

Maybe, but in my experience the answer is likely to be 'no' - it's the easy answer and avoids all kinds of issues with your day job ...

Skipname
4th May 2016, 17:05
Maybe, but in my experience the answer is likely to be 'no' - it's the easy answer and avoids all kinds of issues with your day job ...

That is exactly what I am afraid of. When I'll talk with him about it, I want to be able to show him that the part time flight instructing won't have any interference in my day job or reduces the number of hours I can fly for them.

I sow in the new EASA FTL which we recently adopted that it's not applicable to aerial work or single pilot operations. Is that enough to stand on or there are other documents?

I was talking with a captain and he said that he remembers something about a weight limit (1600 kg) but he's not sure where he sow that. Does anyone know anything about this?

ifitaintboeing
4th May 2016, 18:51
I am guessing you're in the UK since you mention the 1,600kg limit which forms part of the FTL legislation contained in the UK ANO (Article 144). There has recently been a CAA review which included public consultation over the intermix of EASA FTLs with non-commercial operations and the proposal to align the UK ANO with these. The associated CAA Comment Reponse Document is overdue and should be published soon.

CAP 1271 GA ANO Review (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201271%20GA%20ANO%20Review.pdf)

CAP 1335 GA ANO Review Final (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1335GAANOReview.pdf) - see page 19.

ifitaint...

BBK
5th May 2016, 18:44
Hi Skip

You're quite right you need to talk to your manager about this. One potential gotcha is that even if the hours don't count then instructing may invalidate a day off under your FTL scheme. That might be a show stopper if you're working hard.

Good luck.

BBK