PDA

View Full Version : UK transition altitude

jason_beall
27th Jun 2002, 11:02
Hi all,

I'm a US pilot who has just moved to the UK and I am trying to better understand REAl use of the transition altitude. In the US, transition altitude is way up at FL180, so most PPL's in the US never have to deal with it. Here in the UK, FL30 is the transition altitude. How many pilots actually set their altimeters to 1013 mb and use it say below 10,000 feet MSL? Or do most people just use regional when flying around?
Also, say I am flying south from Perth in Scotland and I am at FL35 and I am penetrating Newcastle's zone...do I stay on 1013 or set the Newcastle QNH in while transitioning?

Thanks for the clarification,

-Jason

englishal
27th Jun 2002, 11:20
Just to make life more confusing.....it vaires. Normally its at aorund 3000', but certain areas have different transition altitudes, Bournemouth for example is 4000'. There are numerous other transition altitudes as well.

EA;)

FlyingForFun
27th Jun 2002, 11:22
Jason,

The transition level is actually FL30 in some parts of the UK, and FL60 in others (e.g. around London), just to really confuse you!

But, if you're flying VFR, you don't need to set 1013, you can just use QNH. I've only ever set it once, and that was flying cross-channel at FL55.

As for penetrating Newcastle's zone, I would imagine (but I don't know for sure) that they'd clear you either at a given altitude (in which case they'd give you a QNH to use) or at a given flight level (in which case you'd set 1013).

I'm sure you'll enjoy flying in the UK. We're not quite as aviation-friendly as the US, but there's some beautiful scenery around, which is quite different to the (also beautiful) scenery you'd find in most parts of the US.

FFF
--------------

FlyingForFun
27th Jun 2002, 11:24
Englishal - is that right? I thought the transition level was always either FL30 or FL60? Ready to be corrected if I'm wrong though!

FFF
-------------

knobbygb
27th Jun 2002, 11:49
FFF, I'm still only half way through the PPL so admittedly am no expert yet, but is it really true that people don't bother setting 1013.2 when over the transition altitude?

All I've been taught/read so far is that the transition altitude/level ARE adhered to and that the quad rule for selecting a flight level is very important too. Is the real world different? I guess the problem of learning it all from a book is that you have to learn the 'real world' stuff later from experience.

Most of my flying is within an AIAA, and I don't fancy being out by a couple of hundred feet with all that low level, fast moving traffic.

Thanks

englishal
27th Jun 2002, 11:49
Its on the instrument approach plates....

http://www.ais.org.uk/uk_aip/pdf/ad/EGHH.htm

Cheers
EA;)

Chilli Monster
27th Jun 2002, 11:53
FlyingForFun

Time to hit the books I think ;)

Transition ALTITUDE in the open FIR in the UK is 3000'. Within various CTR's and TMA's however it can be different (East Mids 4000', London 6000', etc.)

Transition LEVEL is a function of Transition Altitude and QNH, depending on whether it is above or below 1013 and whatever the Transition Altitude is. So, QNH 1001, TA 3000', TL=FL35. If the Transition Altitude were 4000' or 6000' the TL would be 45, or 65.

Now - back to the original query. There is no problem when flying VFR if you were to stay on QNH - you just report your level as an altitude. The only requirement really for flight on 1013 is for flight iaw IFR above the transition altitude, when you should report on Flight Levels.

Another thing to watch out for - base of Controlled Airspace. If it's designated as an Altitude make sure you're on QNH so that you don't bust it. If it's designated as a Flight Level and you feel you might get close then put the altimeter on 1013 to make sure - it stops you going where you shouldn't :)

CM

FlyingForFun
27th Jun 2002, 12:00
CM, you're quite right, thanks for correcting me. ;)

Knobby, I think the reason that I don't tend to use 1013 very often is at least partly because the transition altitude (see, I got it right this time!) is 6000' around London, and I don't often get that high! Certainly if you're spending lots of time above the transition altitude, especially in level flight, there's no reason not to set 1013. But it's not essential.

Also, CM has a good point about the base of controlled airspace.

FFF
--------------

jason_beall
27th Jun 2002, 12:20
Thanks for the replies folks!

-Jason

eyeinthesky
27th Jun 2002, 12:31
Further to CM's point about transition LEVEL, it is worth noting that in times of very low pressure the first available FLIGHT LEVEL above the transition ALTITUDE can be surprisingly high.

e.g.: QNH 983 mb. transition ALTITUDE 3000 ft
Difference between 1013 and 983 = 30 mb (equivalent to c.900ft.)

Lowest FLIGHT LEVEL at which you will actually be above the altitude of 3000ft is FL 40. (and therefore first usable FL NE bound under the quadrantal rule is FL50)

Conversely, in times of High Pressure you can have a flight level which is numerically LESS than the Transition Altitude

e.g.: QNH 1038mb TA 3000ft
Difference 25mb: c.750 ft

The first available FL which will put you above 3000ft AMSL is FL25.

Whilst I would agree that the quadrantal rule (in UK only) is recommended for IFR flight, it would surely be sensible if you are operating VFR above the TA for you also to fly the correct quadrantal. You are increasing your chances of avoiding other traffic, some of which might be bowling along IFR not really looking out and relying upon the Quadrantal rule to keep him away from other traffic. If you are routing along VFR on the QNH at the equivalent of FL40 but heading NE rather than SW you are asking for a surprise!!

Finally, with reference to the base of CAS: Make sure you are flying on a relevant (i.e. local) QNH and not a regional. The 300 ft or so difference provided by the Regional being a FORECAST LOWEST QNH can be enough to put you up inside CAS without knowing it.

QNH 1013
27th Jun 2002, 16:01
A small point, but I believe the quadrantal rule is mandatory for IFR flight above 3000' in UK uncontrolled airspace. I was certainly taught that it was during the IR. This then presents a difficulty in large parts of the midlands (where the base of the class A airspace is FL45) when the qnh is low and FL3.0 (and sometimes FL3.5) aren't available. Also, FL3.0 can be below your MSA.

shlittlenellie
28th Jun 2002, 08:16
Using the Newcastle zone as an example, if you are flying within it or under it then you must set the Ncl QNH; otherwise there is no way of ensuring separation between you and other traffic or ensuring that you remain clear of the zone if that is the intention.

This is the case for all other control zones, TMAs and MATZs within the UK.

There have been moves to at least make 6000' the standard transition altitude in the UK but expect this to take a long time.