PDA

View Full Version : C208/C172 flight review question

pilotchute
30th Apr 2016, 01:39
Just a quick one about single engine flight reviews.

Will doing a review in a C172 cover me for a C208? I am getting a wide variety of answers ranging from being told I have to do a full review in a 208 to I don't have to do anything extra after the 172 flight. The inability of anyone to give me a definite answer I find a little concerning.

Can anyone without a financial interest help me out?

Cheers

Aussie Bob
30th Apr 2016, 04:15
Form 61-9FR lists only single engine class and multi engine class. As both the C208 and C172 are in the single engine class I would say doing it in a 172 would cover it. There is no turbine box

blackburn
30th Apr 2016, 09:09
Para 24 of “Prescription of aircraft and ratings — CASR Part 61 (Edition 1)” dated 23 December 2014 reads “Aircraft types for which flight training and flight review are required for exercise of privileges of a class rating — single-engine aeroplanes For regulation 61.062 of CASR 1998, each single-engine aeroplane model mentioned in a cell of column 2 of the table in Schedule 12, is a model for which flight training and a flight review are required under regulation 61.747 of CASR 1998 to exercise the privileges of the single-engine aeroplane class rating in the model”.
The Cessna 208 is listed in Schedule 12, so I suggest you draw your own conclusions!

Cloudee
30th Apr 2016, 09:12
The only time you have to do a flight review in a C208 is after your initial training in that aircraft. From then on, any single engine flight review will cover the C208.

pilotchute
1st May 2016, 03:49
Thanks Bob and Cloudee. After looking at the form Bob referenced it was pretty clear that no seperate flight was required for the GTE endorsement.

Cheers

QFF
1st May 2016, 10:05
Pilotchute - CASR 61.062 and 61.747 has already been quoted by blackburn (above). 61.745 further clarifies that you need a flight review every 24 mths (or so).

Putting it all together, because the C208 is mentioned in Schedule 12, presuming you have already have done the necessary training, you will still need to do a flight review in the C208 every 24mths, which will cover you for the C172 but not vice versa.

Band a Lot
1st May 2016, 10:30
Would help if you guys put links with your comments, to search any thing on a CASA Web Page is imposble to do as they run 3 or more at a time.

A simple google "casa schedule 12" and I should find a list(in any normal country) but it seems a secret even with new CASA Website.

Aussie Bob
1st May 2016, 11:39
Pilotchute, it looks like you may have to peruse Part 61, sorry if I gave you a bum steer. At this stage of my career, picking up Part 61 and flipping between regs that reference other regs holds zero interest to me. What QFF has written could well be correct, but then again what Cloudee has written may be correct too. I am not type rated on a 208 and I just dunno.

Such is life under Part 61. What I do know under this new ****forregs is that after renewing my instructors rating in a single engine aircraft I lost the ability to do multi engine training until I do a multi AFR and I cannot fly at night until I do a night AFR, so it now looks like I am expected to do three flight reviews where, once upon a time I only needed to do one (renew instructor rating). I guess I could have renewed my instructors rating in a multi at night but finding an ATO willing could have proved difficult.

vh-foobar
1st May 2016, 12:49
the plain english interpretation by casa of the regulations are here:

https://www.casa.gov.au/regulations-and-policy/standard-page/flight-reviews?WCMS%3ASTANDARD%3A%3Apc=PC_101937

Such is life under Part 61. What I do know under this new ****forregs is that after renewing my instructors rating in a single engine aircraft I lost the ability to do multi engine training until I do a multi AFR and I cannot fly at night until I do a night AFRIronically you can still do an instructor proficiency check (SEA), and instrument proficiency check (MEA) all during the day, and be ticked off to fly at night... (insofar as proficiency checks are concerned)

QFF
1st May 2016, 14:55
the plain english interpretation by casa of the regulations are here:

https://www.casa.gov.au/regulations-and-policy/standard-page/flight-reviews?WCMS%3ASTANDARD%3A%3Apc=PC_101937

Interesting reading. From the document referenced above:

Do I have to do training AND a flight review to fly certain types of aircraft?

Yes. Before flying these types of aircraft, you must complete initial training and a flight review on that type. Once you have completed the training and flight review, the aircraft type is covered by the flight review requirements for the class rating.

Which sounds like you only have to do the first flight review on your C208, then subsequent AFR's in the C172 would cover you for the C208 as well. I stand corrected...

Aussie Bob
1st May 2016, 19:47
I just read your link QFF and I think you are correct. A type rating must include a flight review on the type. After that a class rating will cover it. Very plain and simple. It could well prove impossible to keep type ratings without this provision.

vh-foobar
1st May 2016, 20:05
its made even clearer here:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjnsNHDw7nMAhWLKsAKHfLaB2MQFgghMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.casa.gov.au%2Ffile%2F124371%2Fdownload %3Ftoken%3D4hFtFDfU&usg=AFQjCNFziaOzT-H9fCm57Lkawkk2c4MdWw&sig2=n0pHfA1vZantuA_dugLmYw&cad=rja

Aussie Bob
1st May 2016, 20:40
So, after 12 posts it looks like your good to go in a 172 Pilotchute. Thanks Foobar and QFF for enlightening an instructor. It seems Cloudee nailed it back at #4