PDA

View Full Version : GARMIN Aera 660, first impressions (Aera 500 user)

vorticity
24th Apr 2016, 16:30
Hi all,
as a long aera 500 user, I updated to aera 660.
Main reasons: Better power options (easily accepts USB, 500 shows problems), higher resolution, better visualisation (speed tapes)

My first impressions are very positive! I use it mainly as In-Flight-Entertainment as Cockpit-OK and jumpseat are history. It is so cool. I am in Australia, here are the screenshots:

http://www.vorticity.de/pub/FRAMEL.ZIP

Pretty cool: Higher resolution, 3D-View with Tape presentaion of SPD,ALT,VS. For general aviation I would rate it more as a dangerous toy distracting from real flying... Very good also: Safer Taxi with very good airport charts

Some issues are slightly annoying, also compared to the 500 and should be fixed in a software upgrade. As there are:

1. The presentation field 'Numbers' is missing - in the 500 it could be configured with information like SR/SS at position, time since airborne and much more - it's missing. Can only be shown via Map>Menu>ChangeDataFields ... Not very operational
2. Present Position can only be shown by Map>Menu>MeasureDistance... Or by touching the screen with the finger: Very appropriate: Position to the tenth of a minute, determined by fingerprint ;-)
3. UserWaypoints can only be entered by typing, better also by scrolling
3. Direct to Destination ICAO-ID only via Waypoint or nearest airports (within 200nm) or recent. No, I want to enter any ICAO-ID supported!
4. Option Landscape/Portrait is nice, but it turns to right so that GPS-Antenna and USB-Power are on on top, into field of view - better, if it would also turn to the left to let both cables go downward out of field of view.
5. It were nice if Screenshot-ON could be set as default so as to be ON when Power is switched on, if so wished
6. The screenshot release button is almost, in Portrait completely (!) hiding the digital TRACK on the Compass arc - very disturbing and so easy to correct. Position it bottom left, 30% up. OK for both Portrait/Landscape
7. Terrain is perfect as it was, nevertheless in 3D-View I would like to see 'Terrain above' in red...

All in all, after more than 5 year a very nice improvement. Used to the 500 you will feel at home with the 660. And Garmin showed that touchscreen can be appropriate to serious operations!

Hope this first impression helps! Enjoy, Bernd

Genghis the Engineer
24th Apr 2016, 18:05
Thanks - I'm an Aera 500 user who has been eyeing the 660 with interest. Do keep us updated as you learn more about the unit.

I'd be interested to see some photographs of it also within your cockpit?

G

fujii
25th Apr 2016, 07:14
I have had an Aera 500 for quite a while and wouldn't bother with another Garmin GPS. I still use it as a backup as major features don't move, however, the high cost of the frequent Garmin updates just isn't worth it. Added to that is the non aviation map display.

Where I am, Australia, is lumped in with a South Pacific data base. Small changes anywhere in that region generate a change to the Garmin data base which I just don't need.

My main GPS Nav source is my iPad running an Australian developed program which has all aviation charts and other documents which update on the six monthly AIRAC cycle for around eighty dollars per year. That equals about one Garmin update.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Apr 2016, 07:19
Yeah - I can't disagree that the cost of database updates is the major downside of owning a Garmin.

G

fujii
25th Apr 2016, 07:32
Probably better where you are close to so many other countries whereas here there's nothing. I don't need an update on a navaid in the Solomon Islands.

Baikonour
25th Apr 2016, 08:55
It's a bit disturbing to see something which looks like a PFD - but with no attitude indication. (And constantly being reminded of that fact as well...)
I'd certainly never want to use it in that view...

But I guess that was always the case with the any navaid like this which presents 'synthetic vision' or similar?

Which truly useful functions does the Aera family have which e.g. the Garmin Pilot on a tablet doesn't do? (Which, although again I'd never want to rely on it, does show some sort of attitude...)

B.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Apr 2016, 10:04
As I understand it, it will give an attitude indication, but requires an external reference source to provide that. Presumably the OP doesn't have that feed.

G

PA28181
25th Apr 2016, 13:04
Yeah - I can't disagree that the cost of database updates is the major downside of owning a Garmin.

G

I update my 500 once a year in May (purchase anniversary) just the same as I only buy one 1:500.000 chart each year, never saw a problem with that.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Apr 2016, 13:15
I do much the same, but it is a bit more expensive than the paper chart!

G

flybymike
25th Apr 2016, 15:08
For UK users an annual airspace update at aero expo is £25, which is what I go for.
I do fancy a 660 though. I believe bank information is available on the synthetic vision page based on rate of turn, but a single unit to include pitch info would be nice.
Maybe not possible though since I think the portable AHARS units need to lay flat?

Genghis the Engineer
25th Apr 2016, 15:49
That's worth knowing re: AeroExpo.

There are standard inertial reference units that plug in - they'd need to be firmly secured to a bit of aircraft structure, ideally close to the CG. A bit of googling finds the units - costing around the same again as the 660.

G

blueandwhite
25th Apr 2016, 21:49
The unit has colour coding on the high terrain despite the OP's thoughts.

I like having a traditional moving map. Provided free with the unit. As well as the vector map.

I never use the panel page on the old 496, and I don't think I will use the synthetic vision much either. Although on the 660 the HSI is on the same page so I may use it every so often.

I've got it to replace my 496 and I'm pleased to have it. The screen is much clearer and larger. It will drive the EFIS and the autopilot. That's not so easy with a tablet. (Please note I did not say impossible).

If you get the other bit that gives the attitude then you also get ADSB in and it will display traffic info. If you are in the states then you get a load more.

I use a tablet on my knee for much of the time. But the tablet, or the program on it, has let me down twice and the 496 never has. I'm hoping for a similar performance from the 660.

NPT
26th Apr 2016, 14:16
I have had the 660 for a week or so and had issues with it turning off without any input. The first unit was replaced and the second one is having the same problem. Has anyone else had an issue? It has the latest firmware uploaded.

blueandwhite
27th Apr 2016, 20:51
I've had mine a couple of weeks. No problems so far. Actually I'm really pleased with it so far.

NPT
28th Apr 2016, 18:25
I've had mine a couple of weeks. No problems so far. Actually I'm really pleased with it so far.

Garmin USA have confirmed there is an issue when used for prolonged periods on battery and are testing an update.

blueandwhite
28th Apr 2016, 22:02
Garmin USA have confirmed there is an issue when used for prolonged periods on battery and are testing an update.

I've run mine on battery until it was almost flat a couple of times. No Probs so far.