PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Flight & Licencing Issue.

ooizcalling
23rd Apr 2016, 00:34
I've been approached to do a ferry flight Australia-Africa. Ok, that's not a problem. Looking forward to it. But, I'm over 65. Does a 'ferry flight' that crosses several international boundaries run into problems with this arbitrary age 65 limit ? I know it does in RPT operations, but this is a ferry flight (no pax, no revenue, just repositioning a twin turbo-prop). Flight can be done on a Commercial licence or ATPL (I have an ATPL). I rang CASA licencing - they didn't know the outside Australia criteria. Anyone got any ideas on this one ?

B737900er
24th Apr 2016, 21:45
You fly under the authority of your license and registration of the aircraft one would assume. I believe you cant fly international on commercial ops regardless if it has pax or not.

ooizcalling
26th Apr 2016, 07:46
Thanks 737900er, but 'one would assume' and 'I believe' aren't quite distinctive enough. Seems, if it's possible, it all depends on if a ferry flight is a commercial operation or not. Seems like we're splitting hairs on this one and it goes into the 'to hard' basket.

dc9-32
26th Apr 2016, 08:03
What state of registry is the aircraft ? If FAA, and part 91, it is non commercial and being over 65 will be no problem so long as you hold the necessary licence, medical etc for PIC or SIC requirements.

Intruder
26th Apr 2016, 14:56
Not all commercial operations are covered by the age limits. Per the US FAA, only scheduled (Part 121 and 135) operations are covered. Many former airline pilots move to corporate or fractional jobs after reaching the airline age limit.

So, in general, a ferry flight will not be subject to the age limit. However, you must be VERY careful if you carry ANYONE beyond the essential crew, or ANYTHING that might be considered cargo, if doing the flight for a scheduled carrier.

ooizcalling
29th Apr 2016, 05:56
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.