PDA

View Full Version : something a bit different to rent

bingoboy
26th Jun 2002, 19:20
I fly a group C172, a pfa tailwheeler and microlights but what else is out there ?

What and where and at what cost can I do an hour or so in something interestingly different ?

Any ideas ?

Romeo Romeo
26th Jun 2002, 23:28
At the start of the year I did an hour in a Jet Provost from Sandtoft. It's a bit expensive (About £450 per hour :eek: ), but I flew it for most of the hour except when the instructor was doing low-level aeros. They are lovely aeroplanes to fly althought the speed wasn't as amazing as I had hoped - at 500 ft the world wasn't a complete blur, but the aero's just off the coast were fun and it was weird to look above my head and see Bridlington. I had a go at some rolls and loops - but I did mine at 7000ft - much safer. :)

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jun 2002, 05:56
If you get down South, Old Sarum have a very nice Sky Arrow at (I think) £82/hr which no doubt sounds a lot to a Northerner, but is pretty good for the South of England.

OS also have a couple of Bulldogs, and just up the road, Thruxton have a military spec firefly at about £100/hr.

Have you flown a PA28? Always try one of those to see as a Cessna driver what the competition's like, particularly something like an Arrow which gives you the chance at retract and VP-prop ticks.

G

str12
27th Jun 2002, 07:11
If you get a chance fly a slinsgby, great fun, great handling and rated for aeros.

After a year flying a PA28 the slinsgby felt like a sports car.

There's one at Shoreham with Lima Delta Aviation.

Safe flying.

Evo7
27th Jun 2002, 07:16
Rumour has it that you can get to fly the two Extra 300s that have recently turned up at Goodwood. Not sure what it costs ... but I'm planning on finding out ;) :D

FlyingForFun
27th Jun 2002, 08:41
You could do what I'm planning on doing eventually - get down to the Tiger Club at Headcorn, and get checked out on the Tiger Moth. And, once you've done that, you can also hire the single-seater Rollason Turbulent, which is, without any doubt, the best looking aircraft ever to be built, IMHO.

On second thoughts, don't do that - once I eventually get my backside moving and get checked out myself, I don't want to find that you've got the aircraft booked every weekend! :D :D :D

FFF
---------------

javelin
27th Jun 2002, 09:00
When you are on hoilday, take your licence and wander up to the local airport. You will be surprised what you can find and rent - certainly it will be duel but non the less interesting. I flew an Isa Paparra in Menorca, one of only 2 airworthy types - bit like a Chippy. I flew a Pitts, an Extra, a Champ and a Mooney in the States and the next time in Cuba, I'm off in the AN2 :D :D Oh, almost forgot - last year went to Canada a blagged a morning in a Beaver for C$200 - I did the empty sectors, he did the revenue ones.

http://www.sevetronics.es/mahon/flota.htm

bingoboy
27th Jun 2002, 21:26
Some good types to mull over. The idea of a biplane appeals maybe Stearman. A few yrs ago I kept trying to have a go in one at Lpl but xwind limits brought it all to nought. Are there any others in the UK available for a flight in ?