PDA

View Full Version : Priority Button on FBW aircrafts

Grampa
18th Apr 2016, 23:42
There are some posts indicating the operation of the "priority takeover button" for Airbus aircrafts. But:
- Are there any other FBW aircraft allowing the disconnection of the flight controls between pilots (Boeing, Embraer, Gulfstream, etc.)?
- Are there any aircraft whose pilot flying is able to override the pilot monitoring causing the disconnection of the PM's controls (similar to the overriding of AP)?

I deeply appreciate the answer. :ok:

wiggy
19th Apr 2016, 06:52
I suspect Airbus has it and can have it, at least in part because of the two sidesticks aren't physically connected.

AFAIK none of the Boeings have it (well the 777 certainly doesn't), no doubt because the flight deck controls (i.e. the wheels and pedals) are actually physically mechanically interconnected.

Grampa
19th Apr 2016, 08:23
Thank you, Wiggy.
Indeed, the disconnection of mechanically linked controls is not usual.
I believe that it would add single failure critical points, which tends to be a certification issue.
But now, with active controls electronically connected (Gulfstream G500 and Embraer KC-390), that shall be possible.
The"priority takeover button" can meaningful in many cases, as a training flight. But I am wondering why no one ever tried to implement that before...

Grampa
19th Apr 2016, 08:24
I mean, no one tried that, other than Airbus.