PDA

View Full Version : PPL with CRI

Eddie Seymour
15th Apr 2016, 14:04
Hi,

I was a flight school yesterday and plus what I have heard/read that there is really now a shortage of FIs given the airlines demand.

Plus given the new powers of CRIs, if you recently added the FCL-945 basically you can sign complete now both logbook and license if the PPL has done the 12hours by experience and you have done the 1 training hour.

Does this give new openings at flight clubs for CRIs to get some extra hours for building there training hours? and take the burden of FI who can focus on new students and special ratings.

Intrest to know which flight clubs/schools would be happy to use the services/needs of CRIs or even looking for some?

I am a CRI of 3 years nearly now basically for a flying group, but intrested in the future of going to the full FI, but wanting to use my CRI more.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Apr 2016, 16:20
I'm a CRI (albeit with a CPL) with FCL945 and instruct freelance and in a couple of schools and syndicates.

Is there a lot of work? Not a huge amount, but enough to keep me entertained. Last year I did just under 50 hours instructing. However, at any time I've usually got a couple of students on the go, and it's worth doing - it's usually stuff that doesn't significantly affect the core FIs income which as you say are usually ab initio courses and trial flights. NPPL SSEA <--> M conversions, biennials, and checkouts are my bread and butter. I could do a lot of tailwheel conversions if I had an aeroplane suitable, but I don't.

So yes, the work's there, but only a limited amount. You are massively reliant, unsurprisingly, on the relationship with the school owners - they need to like and trust you, or you'll get no work at all.

G