PDA

View Full Version : Oral!!!

Kirstey
26th Jun 2002, 12:01
Skills test is looming in the next couple of weeks. Anyone got any egs of questions they were asked in the oral exam?

cheers!

Ace Rimmer
26th Jun 2002, 12:30
Usually its stuff about the type you trained on what's the best glide, fuel capacity that type of thing or How would brief your pax on the way to exit the a/c in hurry. Pretty basic stuff.

sickBocks
26th Jun 2002, 12:39
The Technical volume of the Trevor Thom book (4?) used to have an Aircraft (Type) section in the back where there were a series of questions. Basically, if you could answer all of these with not much trouble you wouldn't find the Oral too tricky.

(I say used because I have an old edition of the book and dunno about the new one).

Good luck anyways

sB

Miss Bigglesworth
26th Jun 2002, 14:26
Mine was was split into two halves. The first was in the 'classroom' where I was tested on my knowledge of the information in the aircraft manual - eg. engine bhp, type of oil to use, type of fuel & colour code, MTOW, BEW, type of brake & steering system, etc. We then went out to the a/c and the FE asked me to explain the principles of flight, and the function of certain parts of the a/c, eg/ pitot tube & heater, ailierons, static vent, stall warner etc with explanations of the principles behind them, along with type of flaps, types of aerials fitted and what each was for (VOR/radio etc). The whole thing lasted about 45minutes. Beware for trick questions! Overall it was pretty easy-going and laid back, but it depends on the examiner I s'pose.
Hope this helps.

Noggin
26th Jun 2002, 18:18
The purpose of the oral is to see what the candidate knows about the aeroplane they are flying, especially any safty related items. If they don't know them then it is an opportunity to make them aware, so that the actually learn something useful.

A high percentage of the pilots I test cannot tell me what they are looking for in a post flight mag check and why!

Kirstey
27th Jun 2002, 08:51
Thanks for the replies everyone. Anyone have any other words of wisdom for the test itself? All seems straightforward, just a bit intense!!

Negative Charlie
27th Jun 2002, 09:47
Noggin,

OK, I'll bite. What should I look for in a post-flight mag check? And why?

And should I turn in my PPL for not knowing?

-C

Final 3 Greens
27th Jun 2002, 10:53
Kirstey

Knowing where the battery is located is a useful piece of info to have if asked.

Final 3 Greens
27th Jun 2002, 10:56
Negative Charlie

The purpose of a post flight mag check is to make sure that you don't have have a "live mag" when it should be off.

So if you check the left and right mags in turn against both and detect a reasonable RPM drop, then it appears that all is as it should be.

However, it is wise airmanship to treat all mags as potnetially live and all props as potnetial killers.

Kirstey
27th Jun 2002, 11:32
F3G

For revisions sake I believe it's under the rear right seat in a PA28. However, among many other questions it seems pointless. I mean if the sod goes flat, what on earth am i gonna do!!???

thanks again for the help!

skygazer
27th Jun 2002, 11:56
Depends on the particular PA28 - the Warrior III has it in the engine compartment. As to what to do when it goes flat - that's probably another question the examiner might ask!!

Ace Rimmer
27th Jun 2002, 11:56
Actually in the -181 its behind the aft bulkhead (accessed via an inspection hatch) but as you say if it dies in flight that's not much use!
Talking about the test itself. What the examiner is after is a demonstration that you are a safe and competant pilot - you don't have to be "ace of the base". If you are at the stage of doing the test then there's nothing in it you don't know how to do. Have a word with your instructor to see if there's anything he/she thinks you should brush up on.

Doubtless you'll get lot of good advice on Pprune but here's something I haven't seen when this has come up before - If your Skills test is in the morning have a decent breakfast or lunch if its in the afternoon - you'll need your blood sugar level good and high!

Negative Charlie
27th Jun 2002, 12:33
F3G,

Thanks for the explanation - funny how none of my primary instructors ever mentioned that!

BTW, I do know where the battery is in a PA28-161. It's in the front. Or in the back. I've flown one of each in the last month, and it makes a huge difference to which wheel touches down first...

-C

Final 3 Greens
27th Jun 2002, 13:56
Kirstey

Negative Charlie has lucidly explained why the location of the battery is important operationally - the effect on weight and balance when landing (or more precisely holding off.)

Piper has a habit of putting sodding great big batteries in the engine bays of "winterized" aircraft which comes as an even bigger surprise to the uninitiated during the flare, as the back pressure is different for those used to the weight and balance of aircraft with a luggage compartment battery fit.

However, I mentioned this question as I know a couple of FEs who regularly ask it.

Best of luck.