PDA

View Full Version : Pilot academic requirements

Probationer
6th Apr 2016, 14:05
Hi again,

I am writing to enquire about the academic qualifications needed when applying for a role as a Second/First Officer?

I have tried to research this subject matter and I have also emailed a few airlines to get an idea of this, however I have had no feedback.

A long story short, before undertaking my pilot studies I wish to re take some of my qualifications to achieve higher grades.

I understand that airlines will differ for qualification requirements but if anyone has a rough idea of what they are looking for I would appreicate feedback.

Thanks.

Intruder
6th Apr 2016, 20:31
Many airlines today require a college degree, though they don't really care what field it is in.

kilomike_19
6th Apr 2016, 21:12
Normally a high school diploma is suficient, but a college degree may be a plus. If you start your career through the modular way you can study for a degree and do your flight lessons at same time. Moreover, I know that in Europe there are some Integrated ATPL merged with an university degree.

Cheers

Di_Vosh
6th Apr 2016, 23:32
Some require high school, some require a Tertiary qualification. It really depends on where you're located.

IMO, there's no requirement for anything other than a high school leaving certificate. It's just not that hard to fly an aeroplane. IMO (again) ATPL theory is equivalent to first year University.

You mentioned that you're wanting to retake some qualifications to get higher grades. If you've already passed, then I personally wouldn't bother. I cannot imagine a situation where your competitiveness is compared to another candidates on whether you got a "B" vs a "C" in Physics.

parkfell
7th Apr 2016, 05:37
I see from your basic details that FIFE is your location.

So looking at the Scottish education system ~ good passes at Standard Grade which have now been replaced by National 5s. Maths & English are critical, together with physics.
SIN, COS & TAN is as difficult are it gets.

Success with good grades at HIGHERS will demonstrate the necessary learning curve. Again Maths & Physics would be beneficial, although not critical.
Advanced Highers even better.

As for the airlines, BA specify minimum school grades for their sponsor route. A degree is not necessary, but probably beneficial both demonstrating sufficient grey matter, and of course 3/4 years more maturity.

The modular route ~ some airlines require a minimum overall average mark in the exams. Some say 85%, others 90%. A high mark in Navigation shows that your brain is wired up well for flying.

Being a team player is critical. An accomplished sportsman where hand to eye coordination is demonstrated.

Lots to learn ~ high volume, reasonably low grade material. Just nibble away at it, on a daily basis.

Probationer
7th Apr 2016, 09:17
Hello,

I would like to thank you all for the input.

Park fell, this is correct that I am based in Fife, the training route in which I wish to train will be via Module training.

I studied in England so I left school with GCSE'S. The pass grade however wasn't very good I'm afraid (I didn't apply myself at school and had lots of growing up to do).

Is it worth improving my GCSE/National 5's, will this be a requirement by an airline that I have 5 solid passes at this level including Maths and Science subjects?

I was thinking about studying a degree with the Open University along side my pilot studies, would you recommend I do this or should I apply my full attention to the flight training?

Thanks once again.

parkfell
7th Apr 2016, 13:58
You clearly need to ensure that your maths and physics are a minimum standard prior to undertaking ATPL studies.

As you intend to take the modular route, you need to obtain your PPL first.
The flying club you choose will be able to give you appropriate guidance.
Also the ground school provider will be ideally placed to advise you on pre entry studies.
As there is a time restriction / number of attempts allowed on passing the exam, you need to concentrate 100% on them.
Do the OU if you wish either before, or after, but not during the ATPL studies/exams.
So far as the airlines as concerned, as a modular student, is how well you progress during the training. I commented on this in the previous post.

9th Apr 2016, 09:36
Hello,probationer
Even I have a semi sleeve tattoo...and I have a tattoo on my forearm.. I read your earlier post about you having a full sleeve tattoo..
I haven't started my ppl course yet...but am due to start it by December.. Would thre be a problem for me to get a job as a first cap...in a commercial jet...please do help me out...I need help from someone who in the industry currently

Probationer
11th Apr 2016, 15:17
Hi,

You would need to ask someone who is currently serving as a pilot. (I am not)

I don't know how it works over there but I have had to email airlines pictures of my tattoos to see if they would accept them.

Most airlines have replied stating that if they are able to be covered in uniform such as a long sleeved shirt then it is acceptable as long as they are not offensive.

I hope this helps,

Probationer.

parkfell
11th Apr 2016, 15:55
Is there medical treatment available to you to remove it?

PDR1
11th Apr 2016, 16:19
Amputation just below the elbow is a medical procedure which would successfully remove the tattoo, but it can have some career-limiting side-effects.

I'm also told that someone once tried to sell a trifle-based ointment as a tattoo remover. It was a scam, but of course they couldn't be sued over it.

PDR

seen_the_box
12th Apr 2016, 13:07
Many airlines today require a college degree, though they don't really care what field it is in.

Certainly in Europe, I can't think of any airline that requires a degree.

Sir Niall Dementia
20th Apr 2016, 07:33
EASA requirements are "an ability to read and write the English language."

I hire pilots in Europe, what they did in school has no relevance, how they did in the exams and what their log book says has priority, followed by any comments from previous employer/training school.

However lose the tattoos. A discrete tattoo is no problem, one of our hosties has a beautiful garland of roses around her left ankle, I have a tat high on my right arm, but full sleeve? It looks unprofessional at interview, and the interview is what counts most.

SND